Mentality of Some Cyclists

Loupie

This morning, while driving to work on the R304 between Stellenbosch and the N1, I saw two cyclists riding next to each other (see picture taken after the event). This on a road where they are doing road works, a road with no lines to speak of, where motorists drive all over the place and is in the nearby vicinity where many cyclists have been knocked down in recent weeks.

Me being a cyclist myself (drinving a car with a bike rack on the back and proudly displaying my 1.5m PPA sticker) I know how things are between motorists and cyclists, so I decided to pull over to try and inlighten them a bit.

The one guy came next to my window and I asked him if they don't want to ride in single file, only to get the following response:

"We are riding in the yellow line, why should we ride single file". I tried to inform him that besides the fact that it is the law, they are also pissing off motorists and they are increasing the chances of them being hit by a vehicle, only to get the following sarcastic responce before he left to continue riding next to his buddy:

"Thank you for the advice, but we will keep riding next to each other."

Is it just me, or is it this type of rediculous mentality that is giving all cyclists a bad name?!

**Rant Over**

post-19137-0-38998000-1396596217_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats even worse are commuter cyclists that ride on the wrong side of the road, Wow that grates my t*ts!

Edited by Wez-O

so a road wide enough for two boeings to land and they then ride in the yellow lane??, or is your concern that the yellow lane was not painted/marked properly ?

Looks like they both riding in the "yellow" line that has been marked out for painting?

Don't agree with them riding that way but sounds at least like they were polite about the whole thing... if you got klapped with the front wheel of the bike through your window; now that gives cyclists a bad name!

Whatever happened to those guys by the way?

Ja, I actually think there is a valid point here.

The norm should always be single file, the exception for the roll over.

I been thinking back to a mate and me on a similar road, we rode almost next to each other, his front wheel was in line with my rear wheel. So like 30 degrees off.

Come to think of it, we rode like for a long time... Then he took me out on the end climb... Me thinks this won't be happening again!

Anyway, back on topic, we had lots of space, and it was a very comfortable and we chatted, and he slipstreamed me all the way... Probably 30% wider than single file. But way better than that.

Bunch of arrogant idiots!

Whats even worse are commuter cyclists that ride on the wrong side of the road, Wow that grates my t*ts!

Talk about some commuters. Two weeks ago I saw two guys cycling on the wrong side of the road, in between the fast lane and the centre Island of a dual carriage way.

Edited by Winstonian1984

hold on just a minute i am confused and here is why.

• there is more space on that road than most i have seen.
  • the yellow line which has been measured to be painted looks to be about 2m wide.
  • the car just about to pass the cyclists looks to be about 1m from the potential yellow line.

while i am not a fan of riding 2 abreast this really looks to be a case of what the hell where you thinking when you decided to stop and give 2 guys out for a peddle crap about it. i dont know the rd or the area and dont know if ahead or behind them the road is narrower than it is in the pic this makes no sense to me at all.

maybe i am just not understanding rant properly

post-19041-0-39273900-1396598509_thumb.jpg

This morning, while driving to work on the R304 between Stellenbosch and the N1, I saw two cyclists riding next to each other (see picture taken after the event). This on a road where they are doing road works, a road with no lines to speak of, where motorists drive all over the place and is in the nearby vicinity where many cyclists have been knocked down in recent weeks.

Me being a cyclist myself (drinving a car with a bike rack on the back and proudly displaying my 1.5m PPA sticker) I know how things are between motorists and cyclists, so I decided to pull over to try and inlighten them a bit.

The one guy came next to my window and I asked him if they don't want to ride in single file, only to get the following response:

"We are riding in the yellow line, why should we ride single file". I tried to inform him that besides the fact that it is the law, they are also pissing off motorists and they are increasing the chances of them being hit by a vehicle, only to get the following sarcastic responce before he left to continue riding next to his buddy:

Is it just me, or is it this type of rediculous mentality that is giving all cyclists a bad name?!

**Rant Over**

Another way to look at it is if it was two mountain bikers riding abreast on an unpaved road shoulder, should they ride in single file?

Perhaps change the topic line to: Mentality of some cyclists towards cyclists.

I see nothing wrong. They were both in the yellow lane and was in nobodies way. You however stopped in the emergency lane (whilst not having an emergency) to tell cyclists that they give us a bad name. To pass you they probably had to cycle into the road and put their lives at "risk".

Edited by Hennie VR

**Rant Over**

You need to get your facts straight before you expect someone to take your advise. Its not against the law, South African traffic legislation in this regard is inconsistent with other countries, which allow cyclist to ride two abreast (but no more).

hold on just a minute i am confused and here is why.

• there is more space on that road than most i have seen.
  • the yellow line which has been measured to be painted looks to be about 2m wide.
  • the car just about to pass the cyclists looks to be about 1m from the potential yellow line.

while i am not a fan of riding 2 abreast this really looks to be a case of what the hell where you thinking when you decided to stop and give 2 guys out for a peddle crap about it. i dont know the rd or the area and dont know if ahead or behind them the road is narrower than it is in the pic this makes no sense to me at all.

maybe i am just not understanding rant properly

Totally agree with you, and its a known fact that 2 abreast is actually a safer option. interesting article http://www.leicestershireroadclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109.0

Another way to look at it is if it was two mountain bikers riding abreast on an unpaved road shoulder, should they ride in single file?

The only reason those yellow lines aren't barrier kerbs is that hitting a barrier kerb at 120km/h has the nasty habit of flipping light motor vehicles.