Should there be chicken runs in XCO at a provincial and national level?

Naas Vermaak

And if you think so, how much should the time penalty be for taking the chicken run?

Firstly, I feel there should not be chicken runs(you can walk) but if there is, the time penalty per chicken run should be at least 15 seconds.

Some background

Having competed at provincial & national events seeing a lot of riders opting for the chicken run repeatedly(which hardly penalise, maybe 3- 5 seconds) and then ends up on the podium to be crowned a champion at a XCO event does not sound right to me - but that's my opinion and I actually want to hear what others think.

Before you post, just think for a moment the hours and hours that a true XCO rider has to put in in order to master those XCO skills and the repeated risk every lap at every obstacle while racing - so the question is risk vs time-penalty - what is justified and fair?

Let's have a healthy constructive discussion. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to have A, B and C lines. It is not feasible for people to walk sections that they cannot ride. This will even further penalize the very same more skilled riders you wish to reward.

Yes, there should be Chicken Runs to keep unskilled riders out of the way of the skilled riders. Also, you might get a rider that will attempt a gap jump that they are not sure of and have a crash, blocking the way for following riders. Make sure each Chicken Run takes about double the time.

as an example looking at two obstacles at the world cup at cascades

the treehouse takes approximately 30 -40 seconds from the top to where the b line meets it. The b line takes approximately a 60-90 seconds to meet the same point...thats doing it right in my opinion

the next major obstacle after that just before the finish takes approximately

A line: 3 - 5 secs

B line: 7-10 secs

C line: 10-15 secs

According to uci regulations you have to have a b line

I think B & C lines are a must have. It'll be more dangerous trying to avoid riders walking sections.

I think a 3-5s penalty per obstacle sounds about fair. The aim of XC (in my opinion) is to test endurance (mostly) and skill. If your skill level saves you say 10secs per lap and another rider taking B-lines still drops you well, then I think he's the better XC rider.

Naas, I agree with you that B and C lines should cost a rider more time than just a couple of seconds. But how strong must that rider be if they are losing those couple of seconds at every obstacle, effectively playing it safe, and still winning. Surely the more skilled guy who is just as fit should have won easily?

I think B & C lines are a must have. It'll be more dangerous trying to avoid riders walking sections.

I think a 3-5s penalty per obstacle sounds about fair. The aim of XC (in my opinion) is to test endurance (mostly) and skill. If your skill level saves you say 10secs per lap and another rider taking B-lines still drops you well, then I think he's the better XC rider.

One of your better posts

Yes, if there are sections which are "higher risk"

Walking is not an option as it can hinder riders coming up behind the walker.

Chicken runs should definitely take longer than the main line, how much longer is the $$$$ question.

Couple of seconds longer, just long enough to loose a place or 2 if you had riders right behind who did not take the main line.

Happened to me before, i had a mental block doing a vertical drop off once and took the chicken run every lap, lost me the chance to win SV that year. I timed it, the chicken run took about 20 seconds longer than the main line but still chickened out....

There must be B/ C lines at events. As others have said, it is mandated by UCI - and others have different skill levels to boot.

As for the time penalty, I agree with Stretch. B line should (on average) take between 40% & 50% more time to complete, and the C line should take approximately double the time to complete from start to finish.

If the guy taking the B line is still winning all the time, but getting passed by okes that take the A line on the tech sections, then surely he has a desire to up-skill and further increase his lead by learning to take the A line, over time?

Plus - B & C lines are critical for rider development and improvement, not to mention progression.

if you such a true XCO rider, why would someone that just lost 3 -5 seconds per lap still beat you to the podium? What that chicken runner lacks in stones, he/she sure made up for in strength and stamina. Why must that rider be penalised to the point they can never take a calculated risk (slight time penalty) and hope they make up for it via their actually strongpoint?

If you feel so disadvantaged by the technical stuff, why are you not taking the strategically sound route to ensure a win? Sounds more like your strategy needs addressing as opposed to the 'skill' of others.

What's a C Line? Is that a chicken run for the chicken run?

Don't recall ever seeing more than 2 options i.e. main and chicken run

PMB has A,B and C lines now. C lines usually much longer with the least tech.

Just progression lines, so yes, even easier than the B-line and with a greater time penalty. The idea is not to scare 1st time racers away from XCO (same for DHI).

Even some of the B-lines at Cascades require some respect so C-lines are required.

That said I don't think anyone consistently taking C-lines should be winning or even on the podium.

there was a "chicken run" on one of the climbs at cascades with the wc, just crazy what those guys can ride though. ja chicken run should definitely take longer

Like in DH, a chicken line should IMHO slow a rider down enough that they cannot be in contention for a podium, especially if it is a provincial level race. There has to be a decent incentive to take the risky lines.

This is XCO, a test of endurance AND skill.

Otherwise they can go and race XCM, on jeep track and district roads.