2014 Shimano 1x11

kandui

An interesting read:

Shimano’s Shifting Philosophy

We were given a fresh explanation of Shimano’s drivetrain philosophy at the launch, which actually made sense. Shimano divides all available gear ratios into two groups: “Driving gears” and “Challenge gears.” Driving gears, in the case of a two-by or three-by transmission, are in the middle range of the cassette when the rider is in the big chainring. Challenge gears are for the steepest climbs, when the rider is forced to select the smaller chainrings and to use the larger three cogs of the cassette. In the case of a one-by drivetrain, Driving gears are the first eight cogs on the right-side of the cassette.

Shimano professes that the smooth, 10-RPM jumps between shifts generated by its Rhythm Step, 11 by 40-tooth cassette, optimize the efficiency of the driving gears that we use most often for both climbing and pedaling on the flats. While the closer gear ratios of Shimano’s XTR cassette provide smaller steps between most of the gearing range, they cannot attain the higher top and bottom gears of SRAM’s XX1 10 by 42 cassette. To achieve a competitive spread, Shimano “strongly suggests” that XTR customers choose its two-chainring option. Before you whip out your calculators, the closest comparison that a Shimano XTR M9000 two-by drivetrain has to SRAM’s one-by is:

Shimano 28 x 38-tooth chainrings, two-by drivetrain: Lowest gear 28/40 = 1.42:1 ratio. Highest gear 38/11 = 1:3.45 ratio. (22 gear selections)

SRAM 30-tooth chainring, one-by drivetrain: Lowest gear 30/42 = 1.4:1 ratio. Highest gear 30/10 = 1:3 ratio. (11 gear selections)

What the above chart demonstrates is how Shimano’s close-ratio two-by option provides a nearly identical gearing spread when compared to a SRAM XX1 one-by drivetrain. By switching to a 28-tooth chainring, the SRAM one-by drivetrain can also match Shimano’s 26 by 36 option, but Shimano also offers a third, 26 by 36 option for its two-by crankset that provides XTR customers a lower granny gear than SRAM can match (Shimano: Lowest gear 24/40 = 1.66:1 vs SRAM: Lowest gear 28/42 – 1.5:1). The bottom

line is that Shimano’s choice for trail gearing is a two-by transmission, and it competes directly with SRAM’s one-by offerings. The customer’s choice is: “Do I want 22 shifts and a front derailleur, or do I want 11 shifts and no front derailleur?”

What about Shimano’s One-By XTR Option?

One-by customers can choose XTR chainrings between 30 and 36 teeth, but the narrower gearing spread of the 11 x 40, eleven-speed cassette means that riders may need to keep a couple of chainrings in their toolbox to match their gearing to the task at hand. Calculating out Shimano XTR’s lowest-available, 30-tooth-chainring option fetches a low gear of 1.33:1 and a high of 1: 2.73. Compare those figures with the options from SRAM and Shimano that we covered earlier in this segment, and they indicate that hills will be harder to climb, or you will probably be spun out on the flats. Shimano’s one-by gearing options are clearly intended for racers and stronger riders who will probably choose the biggest chainring that they can comfortably push and then suffer with whatever low gear is left when the big climbs arrive.

What this says, and its from Shimano themselves, is that their "One-By XTR " option is not anywhere near what SRAM can offer. The 10 x 42 option with SRAM makes more sense vs 11 x 40 from Shimano....unless you like suffering!! this tells me that SRAM is the only option for a single chainring as their spread is better. Shimano still needs two up front or you buy extra Chain rings to swop out if the ride is challenging

fully agree!

shimano really didnt think this one through which is sad.

the 10 x 40 is just to long a gear for even a fairly decent rider to be able to turn over properly.

Shimano did think this one through and they're banking on their rband loyal riders prefering a 2x set up.

The key point is a wider range and 22 shifts vs a narrower range and 11 shifts.

to someone riding marathon's over varied terrain over a few days the option of 22 shifts is much more appealing because it removes the what if factor.

also Shimano's front derailleur technology is superb and makes it an easy item to life with. SRAM has never matched Shimano in this area and by doing away with the front derailleur they shed a weakness and overcome it with a better thought out sprocket set.

What Shimano i sbanking on is that the majority of riders will prefer to have the safer option of more available shifts.

I think they may have got it right from a mass market marketing perspective.

to someone riding marathon's over varied terrain over a few days the option of 22 shifts is much more appealing because it removes the what if factor.

a good level of fitness removes this too.

Proof will be in seeing what the pro's go for, dropping every last bit of weight to get as much advantage as possible usually decides.

Proof will be in seeing what the pro's go for, dropping every last bit of weight to get as much advantage as possible usually decides.

The pros on Shimano will prob go for aftermarket big gears for their cluster then.

Kevin Evans started epic with 1x10 xtr, after stage 3 he went back to 2x10.

Shimano did think this one through and they're banking on their rband loyal riders prefering a 2x set up.

The key point is a wider range and 22 shifts vs a narrower range and 11 shifts.

also Shimano's front derailleur technology is superb and makes it an easy item to life with. SRAM has never matched Shimano in this area and by doing away with the front derailleur they shed a weakness and overcome it with a better thought out sprocket set.

What Shimano i sbanking on is that the majority of riders will prefer to have the safer option of more available shifts.

I think they may have got it right from a mass market marketing perspective.

Shimano's next step better be to invest in South Africa then, because XCM ain't that big everywhere else and many disciplines of mountain biking have pretty much laid the front derailleur to rest.

Edited by Nick.

I don't get why everyone is so keen to get rid of their front derailleurs.

Is it just a fashion thing?

For the extra couple of hundred grams, I get more flexibility, without having to take a bag full of extra chainrings to swap out if the conditions require it. I just load my bike and go.

I also get a built in chain guide (amazing that). I don't have to resort to R500 Narrow-Wide chainrings (multiple - see above) to stop my chain from dropping.

Single rings are for DH bikes, IMHO.

I don't get why everyone is so keen to get rid of their front derailleurs.

Is it just a fashion thing?

For the extra couple of hundred grams, I get more flexibility, without having to take a bag full of extra chainrings to swap out if the conditions require it. I just load my bike and go.

I also get a built in chain guide (amazing that). I don't have to resort to R500 Narrow-Wide chainrings (multiple - see above) to stop my chain from dropping.

Single rings are for DH bikes, IMHO.

Simplicity...weight...less stuff to go wrong and off course duplicate ratios. No extra benefit having that many rings....Go download BikeGearCalc from appstore and play around with different ratios. See how many of them are actually not needed

Thats all

Edited by rouxtjie

I have played with that app.

I don't have an issue with duplicate gear ratios. They just become more available. Using a 2x10 (or 3x10) to its fullest capability is a skill that can be practised.

I have also never had a failure related to a front derailleur. I doubt whether many people have ever broken one.

But I do have an issue with a lack of range.

When riding very steep technical rocky climbs, I use the lowest ratios I have.

When riding long fast descents, I use the longest ratios I have.

Sometimes the above two scenarios happen in the same ride...

I have played with that app.

I don't have an issue with duplicate gear ratios. They just become more available. Using a 2x10 (or 3x10) to its fullest capability is a skill that can be practised.

I have also never had a failure related to a front derailleur. I doubt whether many people have ever broken one.

But I do have an issue with a lack of range.

When riding very steep technical rocky climbs, I use the lowest ratios I have.

When riding long fast descents, I use the longest ratios I have.

Sometimes the above two scenarios happen in the same ride...

And if you struggling in granny of 1x11 then yes, it is the wrong setup for you....I agree that most rides will require a bit of both with a mixed bag between.

I've started changing my mind on the 1x stuff.

When 2x first came out I thought it was lank doff. I still do.

But 1x is starting to look appealing to me. I really like the clean look (not as clean as SS but not bad). The simplicity angle doesn't phase me as I've never had a chain suck/front der issue.

It's not for everyone or everything but does have it's place in the world. I'd never take on a stage race with a 1x but for Joberg conditions where we don't have real mountains or XCO where you can HTFU on the short steep climbs I reckon 1x can work.

2x or 3x is a nice insurance policy. 1 long climb on a gear that is too big will destroy your legs - that alone negates the clean/hassle free factor of 1x for me.

But, like I said, 1x has it's only niche in mtb.

I currently have a 1x9 commuter bike and a 1x10 steel Niner in the making :-)

My 3x Niner RDO will remain 3x and my race machine of choice.

I've fallen in a race and my rear derailer was jammed into one gear, I used my front 3 to get over hills and so forth, to lose a bit of weight, I will rather eat less the week before a race, I prefer, 2 or 3 upfront!!

Two marginally related questions:

I know Shimano say the 10spd chain is as strong as the 9 spd but if you take away some of the lower gears is there not a risk of larger forces on the chain, particularly cross chaining with an 11spd rear only and hence chain breakage? Lot of breakage among the pro's recently it seems.

Does the Shimano 11 spd shifter have a more than one gear at a time / rapid change facility (maybe only on the XTR?)? Pity no Gripshift.

Not that I am in any way considering 1 x 11. I need a proper granny.

Hi I am converting a bike to 1 x 9 but am unsure what blade to use, will a single speed blade work or do I have to use a dedicated 1 x blade like race face.

Running XT cluster 11-42(removed the 19 tooth), 3 blades in front 22-36-44. You name the ratio and I think I have it. Great when I feel lazy and have left a few roadies what just happened on the road.