Cape Argus refuse to tell my 73yr old father his race time.

thebrewster

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, you got me.

I took this seriously, but seeing your later comments realise you were taking the P1ss.

Obviously if one wanted to know how long it took, one would look at ones watch. Equally obviously, if one wanted the race organisers to "acknowledge his race time" one should complete the race within the rules. Because unless one does that, one does not have a "race time" for them to give. Logic really.

Good one, I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I can assure you I take this quite seriously and I'm glad the Cape Argus Cycle Trust take it the same way considering they've promised to bring it up for a second time at their next meeting. This rule affects a large number of cyclists, not only my father.

I can assure you I take this quite seriously and I'm glad the Pick n Pay Cape Argus Momentum Cycle Trust take it the same way considering they've promised to bring it up for a second time at their next meeting. This rule affects a large number of cyclists, not only my father.

*Fixed

...you know... in case this thread gains traction, other sponsors might be upset.

I can assure you I take this quite seriously and I'm glad the Cape Argus Cycle Trust take it the same way considering they've promised to bring it up for a second time at their next meeting. This rule affects a large number of cyclists, not only my father.

I am sure not all make a big issue out out what is after all a mere bagatelle.

If you do not finish the race within the allotted time, you have no official result. Expecting, no demanding that busy people expense any effort, much less debate it at two different meetings when they have real issues to deal with is self serving and arrogant in the extreme. You are clearly a victim in this. As it is clearly very important to you, get the courts to issue a declaratory order if you don't come right.

Does your Dad know you having this fight on his behalf? As I would think an Avid cyclist who has done 12 Argus cycle tours would 1. know the Rules and 2. Respect the Rules around Cycle Races.

Your up to 4 posts total so far on thehub, all in this thread, lets hope your 5th will contain a little more common sense.

Here's hoping :whistling:

Edited by Ferret69

I am sure not all make a big issue out out what is after all a mere bagatelle.

If you do not finish the race within the allotted time, you have no official result. Expecting, no demanding that busy people expense any effort, much less debate it at two different meetings when they have real issues to deal with is self serving and arrogant in the extreme. You are clearly a victim in this. As it is clearly very important to you, get the courts to issue a declaratory order if you don't come right.

I like Eddy. His prose is smoother than the skin under my.......eyes.

Did he get a medal?

I dont know if i should respect that someone can continue to be so anal about cycling results at 73 - it does show a certain tenacity. I mostly gave it up at 45 and am happier for it.

Even now though I'll be on the website now and again with a calculator working out what percentile i was on an event against another or last year. There's a competitive itch at whatever level.

But really this post makes the OP look bad and the rest of us smug.

Petition the Argus to start a "Crumbly" or "i need a 10hr cut-off" group and charge them R10 extra for the timing van to stick around.

he's not asking for an official result if I understand it correctly. He doesn't want a certificate or a placing etc. He simply would like to know his time. Giving out the time is not breaking the rules surely.

My understanding of "official result" and "your time" is that they differ.

Actually no, I'm sure between him & his father they know what time the guy rode

He is badgering the organisers to put an "official" DNF result on the Racetec site with his 7hxx time next to it.

Maybe he should do Racetec a favour and forward then an example of where another organiser have done something similar... :ph34r:

Does your Dad know you having this fight on his behalf? As I would think an Avid cyclist who has done 12 Argus cycle tours would 1. know the Rules and 2. Respect the Rules around Cycle Races.

Your up to 4 posts total so far on thehub, all in this thread, lets hope your 5th will contain a little more common sense.

Here's hoping :whistling:

Agree, know and respect the rules but there's nothing with questioning them.

*5th post but been visiting the site since Matt started it.

I suppose the Best Question is... WHY

WHY does your Dad want to know his exact time for his 12th Finish... If you know he finished and he knows he finished why is the exact hours, minutes and seconds SOOOO very Important to you.

Maybe if we know that we will stop thinking your Rant is so Ludicrous.

Nothing wrong with questioning the status quo, but have you thought about the other consequences of racetec starting to post DNF's & unofficial times on their site. I assume a lot of people would not want to advertise their DNF falures to the world, how about the DNF's that don't have times, did they even have/keep the times of those that did not finish, how many years back should they go etc, etc.

There really is much more to your request than just doing a quick one time favour for your dad.

Edit - To add, assuming that the Racetec site is not currently set up to do this, what would be the cost involved of developing the site to include this? Question the rules as much as you like, but try to keep in mind why they are there in the first place.

Edited by Skubarra

I am Lloyd's dad and know that he has posted this. I also know the rules.There is a concession to us oldies to start earlier and my group was EE @ 0750. My computer time was just on 6.15 gale-force headwind and all. I also stopped to help some female folk with a jammed chain and puncture also enjoying the comradie and ambiance of the race. In the howler 4 years ago I was given a time and certificate and in previously when exceeding 7h.

When checking results no time could be found or given and cut-was exceeded.

Having travelled from East London, a costly exercise surely this was not too much to ask, even my photo's were not listed. I will seriously reconsider entering again.

*Fixed

...you know... in case this thread gains traction, other sponsors might be upset.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi, Lloyd's dad...first of all well done for completing the distance albeit in a time that was not published. I hope to be alive at your age not to mention still actively riding my bicycle.

Perhaps you should look at it this way in that the concession made 4 years ago in the "howler" was in fact just that...a one time concession to cater for the excessive winds experienced on the day.

There will no doubt be a flood of requests should they give into yours. There will be no end to them and that is the reason why they have those policies and procedures.

Knowing the rules before you started already gave you the knowledge that you wouldnt get a time should you not complete the course in the alloted time.

Be grateful that the "howler" concession was made under the circumstances and not ungrateful for the times where it wasnt.