Cape Argus refuse to tell my 73yr old father his race time.

thebrewster

good on him for completing it at that age after a knee operation...but...he knows what time he started, he knows roughly when he finshed...B - A = C simple...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound harsh but not sure what the fuss is about. The rules are clear. Once you start making exceptions where will it end?

well done to your pops for partaking but it's the same as Comrades. The gun goes off and it doesn't matter if you're 1 second or 1 hour late, you're late, so you get a DNF.

Well done on your dad.

Rules are rules though. I understand the Argus official position.

It is not as if his life depended on it.

Keep on rolling, Lloyd's dad.

Seems the only results for 2014 recorded by racetec in excess of 7 hours are Kh (hand cyclists)

well done to your pops for partaking but it's the same as Comrades. The gun goes off and it doesn't matter if you're 1 second or 1 hour late, you're late, so you get a DNF.

If you had to ask my dad what motivates him to finish 109km it's:

1. the beer tent

2. his final race time

Sadly, beer tent ran out of beer (castle light doesn't count) and his racetec profile doesn't display an entry for this years race at all. My expectation would be a DNF and a time at the very least.

Do 94.7 even after their 6hr cut off my results still showed... FYI that was the year I rode my tricycle next to my gf....

Do 94.7 even after their 6hr cut off my results still showed... FYI that was the year I rode my tricycle next to my gf....

That's exactly what I said and that's exactly what he's going to do come 16 Nov. What a champ!

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

Edited by Lloyd Moran

If you had to ask my dad what motivates him to finish 109km it's:

1. the beer tent

2. his final race time speed to finish race and get to beer tent before beers finished

Sadly, beer tent ran out of beer (castle light doesn't count) and his racetec profile doesn't display an entry for this years race at all. My expectation would be a DNF and a time at the very least.

Similar to mine. :D

I do agree that they can do something, 2002 when they had the heat wave they temporary stopped the race but allowed those over 7 hours to get results.

Which part of the organisers response "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" you didn't understand?

My understanding of "official result" and "your time" is that they differ.

My understanding of "official result" and "your time" is that they differ.

I agree..."your time" is on your watch/computer and "official result" is on Racetec which requires you finishing in under 7 hours.

I'm not sure what being 73 or having a knee operation have to do with the scenario either...it's great that he completed the distance at his age and after a op but it also has nothing to do with it.

Unless you are pushing for them to change the rules to cater for older and/or previously injured persons...but that could get very complex.

I'm with Argus on this one.

My father has completed a total of 12 Cape Argus Cycle tours. This year however, he sadly did not make the 7 hour cut-off time. Not unsurprising considering he'd just his second knee replacement a few months prior to the race and decided to take it "slow", despite the titanium improvements.

The problem is that the Cape Argus have still not released his results???

Upon querying this with the event organisers, their response was: "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" Which seems rather ludicrous considering they also call it "The World's Largest Timed Cycle Race".

Understandably rules are rules but to not even acknowledge his race time seems a little unfair?

It's now the 22nd of May and the last we've heard from the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is the following: "They are having an on-going discussion and I will inform you of their decision" and so I thought I should post this here before it gets lost in the obscure bureaucratic process which this lovely cycle race seems to have become.

OK, you got me.

I took this seriously, but seeing your later comments realise you were taking the P1ss.

Obviously if one wanted to know how long it took, one would look at ones watch. Equally obviously, if one wanted the race organisers to "acknowledge his race time" one should complete the race within the rules. Because unless one does that, one does not have a "race time" for them to give. Logic really.

Good one, I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

And see how well that turned out for him.

From those who knew him, he was not unlike some other leg-less celebrity who believed that he was beyond the law and believed that his disability was only relevant when it was an opportunity to play the victim card.