Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On a nice well balanced Japanese bike it would be fine.  But on a 1950's 360deg Twin there's quite a lot of vibration so I'm worried about cracking - also, you need quite a lot of torsional strength because the footpeg is at right angles to the plate and hung out quite far back with your  whole weight it on them - so scared the plates are going to twist.

And if I cut in a hollow you get to see this mess which someone has made behind them.....

So there is method to your madness afterall!!!!!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you strengthen it on the inside (non visible side) with gussets?

It butts up against the frame rail so I would only be able to get it halfway stiffened unfortunately.

I think once the exhaust is in place it won't look so bad - I'll probably have them sandblasted with Cement anyway, and then sealed with a polyurethane so they will look a lot like cast aluminium anyway - old trick!

post-15215-0-71067300-1569937311_thumb.jpg

So there is method to your madness afterall!!!!!

The first plate I made had a nice hole in it, but it was very flexy....

Any chance of rounding off the sharp edges, and would there be any merit in cutting out some of the solid metal at all?

Oh and the recess is there so you can get a 7/16 socket onto the swingarm bolt without taking off the plate - it fits the OD of the socket perfectly :-)

Oh and the recess is there so you can get a 7/16 socket onto the swingarm bolt without taking off the plate - it fits the OD of the socket perfectly :-)

Kief, but no chance of a slight curve on the sharp edge ;)

post-5403-0-72719200-1569937884_thumb.jpg

Kief, but no chance of a slight curve on the sharp edge ;)

That happens without even thinking about it anymore. When we send out plates for cutting we automatically add a fillet radius normally the the same as the plate thickness. That applies to external and internal corners. Apart from the aesthetics it also acts as stress relief at the internal corners.

MCN today has story on new norton 650. Shweet looking boney. Now need 12 large[/

I prefer the 961 Commado Sport!, however 2015 for 15 large!

Pity bikes cost money, that’s so unfair

Bahahahaha!! I have to laugh. Turns out the XR I'm driving up to durban next weekend for is in pieces. All accounted for, apparently, but still in pieces. There are 2 bikes. The fully built one is being kept by my mate. I'm getting the one in pieces, so I'll need to build it. Depending on how built it is at the moment, and whether the engine is in pieces or not, I may be able to assemble it in my lounge / kitchen. I'm single, so I can do htat sort of thing and not get into kaka. 

Either way, there's a journey ahead of me. And I'm looking forward to it. Also means I can make it mine, by putting all the pieces I want onto it without any disassembly.