Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 2/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Nothing beats leather. I have a black lummie that I have had for years. When zip failed I had a new one put in. Has all the armour. I think in jacket ones can only get to ce1 level. You need stand alone jobbies for higher rating. (Could be wrong)

Last week I bought Halvarssons leather riding pants. ( my old leather pants are rubbish being more for sports bikes with knee sliders etc ) I now look like jim morrison man. Comfortable on the bike. Made from goat hide. 
Being old school leather for me please. Easily repairable and wears well. 

lekker buy. No textile rubbish on a Harley please. Only black sons of anarchy black. 

True, leather is the best protection hands down. I wouldn't mind the Club Leather Jacket from BMW later on: http://www.bavarianmc.co.za/online-shop/rider-gear/jackets/club-leather-jacket-men-18358

I invested in the BMW Rallye Suit and I feel 'safer' while travelling on the highway or going off-road. I might be mistaken but the armour in the pants and jacket is CE2 rated.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

True, leather is the best protection hands down. I wouldn't mind the Club Leather Jacket from BMW later on: http://www.bavarianmc.co.za/online-shop/rider-gear/jackets/club-leather-jacket-men-18358

I invested in the BMW Rallye Suit and I feel 'safer' while travelling on the highway or going off-road. I might be mistaken but the armour in the pants and jacket is CE2 rated.

All the gear all the time.

I was mistaken it seems, thanks. Always thought only the “external” protectors were good for level 2. 

6 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I was mistaken it seems, thanks. Always thought only the “external” protectors were good for level 2. 

I learnt too late that you dress for the fall and not for the ride.
Quick nip out on short sleeves and no gloves are often the worst. And don't think a slow speed fall is nothing, they are often the worst!!

22 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I learnt too late that you dress for the fall and not for the ride.
Quick nip out on short sleeves and no gloves are often the worst. And don't think a slow speed fall is nothing, they are often the worst!!

I saw so many people yesterday from big bikes to small scooters with slops, shorts and t-shirts .... and a couple of really lovely ladies in very little clothing ................. every time it gave me cold shivers down my spine.

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I saw so many people yesterday from big bikes to small scooters with slops, shorts and t-shirts .... and a couple of really lovely ladies in very little clothing ................. every time it gave me cold shivers down my spine.

Pics 😂

50 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Very nice. But why is it plugged into the TV?

Do you not get fully kitted up when playing bike games?

Excuse the mess of the wires, that poor TV has been moved around the house so many times and never gets used ... I have to wire her up to the teeny tiny pc so we can stream on the old girl.

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

1139480702_WhatsAppImage2022-02-07at12_00_11PM.jpeg.15f668c0d656700b274fa9e08399475a.jpeg

1066460943_WhatsAppImage2022-02-07at12_00.11PM(1).jpeg.db81d12d73eec14a4e7f7feb926f5f3a.jpeg

327232263_WhatsAppImage2022-02-07at12_00.10PM(1).jpeg.63d44ef0265d9e7a41564a8a43a01763.jpeg

2044867790_WhatsAppImage2022-02-07at12_00_10PM.jpeg.3364ca7923b26e20789917a49539d86a.jpeg

That's a good looking jacket. I had two leather jackets when I still rode street bikes, sold them and bought Textile when I got the ADV bike.

Really regret it as the one was a perfect fit custom Leatherbacks jacket.

Now I look like a "Frikkie" when I occasionally get on the sports bike with the ADV textile jacket on.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, WaynejG said:

We had a incident this morning. 5 of us went for a breakfast ride. On the way home, my son and two others went ahead. I was on the Rocket chilling at the back with our neighbour on his Harley . Come round a bend and see cars and bikes stopped on the side of the road. I see only 2 bikes and with a sickening feeling realise my son's bike is not there.

The emotions as I parked the bike and walked across the road not knowing what I was going to see is something I never want to experience again. Bike is pretty bent and son is alright. Bit stiff and bruised. Helmet and jacket moertoe.

Total freak accident. There was a blind 90 degree turn to the right. Slow row of cars and he overtook. Fortuner in the middle of the row of cars then turned off the the road into the turn off and sideswiped him and he went flying. Fortunately did not see it happen as my wife would of totally lost it.

This is something we as moto parents/families will always have to live with.

My boy almost always rides with me, from the Tankwa Karoo to Swartberg Pass and it's always in the back of my head how something can go wrong at any moment. 

If you have a passion for motorcycling and it's shared with your children you can't get away from the risk factor and it's best to prepare them properly for what might happen.

Propper ATGATT and skills training aswell as thinking ahead, always being aware of your surroundings and making safe informed decisions accordingly. 

Only way to keep us/them safe if this dangerous bug bites.🤙

On 2/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, IceCreamMan said:

And now that I have learnt something I ordered a level 2 back protector to insert in my trusty lummie… having inspected mine and found it to be a level 1 only. 

learn something everyday, thank you dankie.