Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

3 hours ago, Thug said:

I agree.

Between 02:00- 04:00 is normally a good time

"You owe me" a short vid of those pipes ... if you free between 02:00 - 04:00 please could you film this.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

To those who have watched both this question: which do you think is tougher - Dakar or Cape Epic and why?

Interesting; I would say Dakar as its longer in time, more dangerous, there is some navigation (depending here you are in the field), mechanically more complex and no cut off times.

I wonder if we can dredge up someone who has done both? I met someone a good few years ago at the Roof who had it on his bucket list; he had already done the Epic, completed the Roof and had bought two RR Dakar bikes (one for a mate) but I don't think he got there.  Riaan van Niekerk maybe - he was into bicycles at one time?

2 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

To those who have watched both this question: which do you think is tougher - Dakar or Cape Epic and why?

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Interesting; I would say Dakar as its longer in time, more dangerous, there is some navigation (depending here you are in the field), mechanically more complex and no cut off times.

I wonder if we can dredge up someone who has done both? I met someone a good few years ago at the Roof who had it on his bucket list; he had already done the Epic, completed the Roof and had bought two RR Dakar bikes (one for a mate) but I don't think he got there.  Riaan van Niekerk maybe - he was into bicycles at one time?

I'd also go with Dakar.

*flame-suit on*

I know some Epic participants may take massive exception to this, but I would say the technical ability required for even the bottom tier riders to complete a Dakar is far above that required to complete an Epic.

I know it's not apples and apples and the Epic requires loads of training (mostly fitness). But if one were to rank the average Dakar rider's ability against let's say the average adventure/offroad biker and do the same with the average Epic rider vs average MTBer, I would say the Dakar riders would find themselves in a higher percentile.

Also, as mazambaan mentioned, the danger element. Sadly there is at least 1 fatality during nearly every Dakar. Even some of the most talented riders have lost their lives. Plus the navigation element (Dakar does require riders to successfully complete a rally raid event before gaining entry).

Anyway, as the comparison can't be direct it will always be a matter of opinion, and in my opinion I know who would get mu kudos 😅

9 hours ago, Andymann said:

I'm taking a bit of licence here because it does have a picture of a motorbike on the cover, but RIP Meatloaf.  And he did have a few bikes in his collection so it does count.

MEATLOAF30219-08.jpg

Eddie the biker. 

14 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Dakar. It’s far more tiring I reckon. Far more concentration needed. 

but I have done neither. 

Dakar for sure

If you think those guys are not fit then you're kidding yourself. Even behind the wheel of a car/truck it takes enormous amounts of fitness to drive like that for those periods of time

and Mr Google tells me Riaan van Niekerk finished 100 and something (112 I think) with Brian Bontekoning (nutter on a bike) in the 2008 Epic. He finished in the top 20 in Dakar around 2014 I think.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:17 AM, IceCreamMan said:

Dakar. It’s far more tiring I reckon. Far more concentration needed. 

but I have done neither. 

Whilst I haven't done an Epic or a Dakar, I have done a Sani2C and a Dusty Butt (a 1400km, 3 day adventure rally through the NZ high-country),

And although I had jippo-guts for days 2 & 3 of the Sani (which made it even more challenging), I think the dirt-bike rally was way more exhausting (12-15hrs/day on the bike, then having to setup my own tent after each day, haha).

Plus, like you say, definitely more concentration needed. Navigation was by GPS and way points, so far easier than a road book, but even so, it's a far cry from the voice prompts and colourful blue line of Google Maps. And when trying to bomb down tricky terrain while watching the waypoint distance close in and make sure the arrow doesn't swing (meaning you missed the waypoint), can be challenging at the best of times. (there were a number of emergency stops, 180 donuts, and corrections made during that event)

So huge respect to the Dakar dudes and dudettes who go twice as fast and rely on colouring-in books to avoid getting lost!

16 hours ago, mazambaan said:

He he, Dakar may cost you ZAR1m and you may not even get to keep the bike (or what is left of it)!

so the same the average amateur prof. SA racer spends in prep ... and they have to sell the bike after words too as once a bike has done an epic it is "ruined"

The bike is back in the garage and took her for a long ride to Velddrif over the weekend. Don't know if I was stupid to tackle it in the heat but the mechanic said she needed to get some long miles in. Waited for the family in Velddrif, whereby I camped at Columbine Co. for an iced coffee. Small world, realised that the owner (Albert) is family. Fun fact, Itchy Boots stopped at the place as well on our journey up to Namibia.

Stopped at Port Owen to jump into the water to cool down. Afterwards, we went back to Yzerfontein where we spent time with the family returning back on Sunday late afternoon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Traffic was quite bad this morning. I did a few lane splits until the second last robot... I saw it was quite a tight squeeze but thought I should be able to make it through and boom clipped the mirror of the driver in his/her Renault. The person hooted, I felt bad and quickly pulled the clutch in the reserve up to apologize. Couldn't see any damage to the mirror but didn't make my morning.