Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/4/2022 at 7:57 PM, Hairy said:

Morning All

Have any of you used your bicycle floor pump to pump up your motorbike tyres in the convenience of your own homes yet?

I had the pump next to the bike the other evening and figured that (a) it should be a damned accurate way to check the pressure (b) makes getting to the rear valve so much easier and (c) is there when I need it without going to the petrol station.

ALL.THE.TIME...

Hardly ever go to the petrol station to pump tyres, unless I've been riding beach/sand/dune trails (at low pressures) and I want to pump back up to ride home on the tar.

Here most of the air pumps are those automatic ones where one connects the hose, sets the pressure digitally, and leaves it to do its thing. Fine for cars, not recommended for bicycles (as the tyres are low volume) and are ok for motorbikes, but with the dual chamber on my tyres, I need to get the LVHP chamber to 100PSi, which may be dangerous/impossible on the auto machine.

Petrol Station Air Pump High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

(Many NZ ones say not rated for bicycles)

I have even used a bicycle hand pump. That was hard work though and wouldn't recommend unless you have the reflexes of a teenage boy 😅

13 hours ago, WaynejG said:

Just some pics from a event here in PE today.

20220306_111826_copy_1024x768.jpg

20220306_111852_copy_1024x768.jpg

😍That Moto Guzzi sure is a stunner

Edited by Eddy Gordo

19 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

😍That Moto Guzzi sure is a stunner

I thought only the early British bikes had swopped around gears/brakes. That Guzzi also has gears/brakes swopped.

Saw one of these on friday at BMW when I dropped my dad off to pick his car up from a service.

Looks so strange, all this old school styling and then a big LCD screen

The new BMW R 18 Transcontinental and the new BMW R 18 B.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Headshot said:

I'm in the midst of carb cleaning and servicing on the twin Mikuni's on the DR750. I have learned an awful lot about how carburetors work (and also why fuel injection was invented...) That said, its a fun learning curve. 

I'm waiting for some eBay carb service parts to arrive and in the meantime I'm busy cleaning the carbs for a second time. I had hoped to find a local (CT) place to have them cleaned ultrasonically, but so far no luck. Anyone have any leads for this? 

The bike had its original blue and white hand sprayed over with mat black. Not a good look at all so I'm also busy stripping paint off the plastic using brake fluid -a tip I found on the interweb. The original paint seems to be tougher and doesn't get affected very much by the brake fluid. 

I must admit I am having my patience tested. I so want to get the bike working and hit the street...

Try these guys next time for carb parts:
http://www.motocomp.co.za/

Also you can do a DIY ultrasonic cleaner:

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

On 3/7/2022 at 10:26 AM, WaynejG said:

I thought only the early British bikes had swopped around gears/brakes. That Guzzi also has gears/brakes swopped.

Yeah, its for right handed people LOL

How you like the horn?

13 minutes ago, BSG said:

A friend bought the Harley Davidson XR1200 the other day for R30k. Can be changed from road bike to duel purpose in a few hours.

IMG-20220212-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20220212-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20220212-WA0017.jpg

30K ... what a freeeeeaaakiiinnnng bargain!

Would love one of those with knobblies 

That belt drive could be a little sketch in the dirt if a stone gets caught in there

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

That belt drive could be a little sketch in the dirt if a stone gets caught in there

Buell had the Ulysses that ran pretty trouble free with a belt on dirt roads.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:26 AM, WaynejG said:

Early MG's had options for left and right foot gear shifts. I have not seen a hand shift before, I suspect it could be after market. The pipes on that bike are also not near "OEM".

The CX500 looks cool but I am not a fan of "chopped" BMW air heads and Motor Guzzi's - they should rather be kept original. I mean how would you feel about a CBX1000 converted into a "Cafe Racer"?

15 hours ago, BSG said:

A friend bought the Harley Davidson XR1200 the other day for R30k. Can be changed from road bike to duel purpose in a few hours.

IMG-20220212-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20220212-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20220212-WA0017.jpg

I am following a guy on Instagram whose name escapes me now. Did this but looks a bit more professional.
Will try to remember to take a screenshot or 2 when he pops onto my feed again. Would imagine the lazy motor lends itself to off-roading....

On 3/13/2022 at 10:55 PM, Hairy said:

30K ... what a freeeeeaaakiiinnnng bargain!

Would love one of those with knobblies 

Indeed an insane bargain. I fancied one of these in my collection a little while back, was 165000 Randellas……..gorgeous it was but at that price it is still not in my bike garage.