Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hi, Yes I agree. There is a guy on another forum I belong to who does a lot of trans-Africa offroad travel and he swears by his KTM 500. He has some spectacular photos to prove it.

For example:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222953.20

I have a humble KLR 650 (well, not standard, uprated suspension and breathing) love this thing on the dirt roadsand trails in the southern Cape. Sure it is a bit slow on the tar, but I run full knobblies and stay off the tar as much as possible. **** uncomfortable for the Missus though. I am saving for an Africa Twin or ..........Super Ten to travel with her.

post-52292-0-44151100-1524844512_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have great places to ride down your area. If You can face the long ride to Louvain farm, the ride over the Voortrekker route (dating from the 1700s) down to BergPlaas is stunning on a small bike. If you arekeen I can show you in June (when home) or of course just to welcome you to my pad in Hoekwil for a well earned beer after that ride!

I hope your son is enjoying his bike as much as you are! My boy loved his Honda 125!

Thanks Spokey, I did so many of the routes when I had my BMW 650 Dakar, really miss it now that my son has got his bike. I think I will have to make a plan to get a rental and take him on a weekend ride with loads of gravel roads. Just to show him the beauty of our area.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a humble KLR 650 (well, not standard, uprated suspension and breathing) love this thing on the dirt roadsand trails in the southern Cape. Sure it is a bit slow on the tar, but I run full knobblies and stay off the tar as much as possible. **** uncomfortable for the Missus though. I am saving for an Africa Twin or ..........Super Ten to travel with her.

attachicon.gif9FCC85EC-6891-4007-9210-4F695CA5046E.jpeg

Why do you say that the KLR is uncomfortable for the missus? I thought that it might be my first bike after being without one for such a long time. I haven't ridden one before, although I did a Baviaans trip (+-900kms from Thursday to Sunday) solo with a KLE500 which wasn't too bad.

Why do you say that the KLR is uncomfortable for the missus? I thought that it might be my first bike after being without one for such a long time. I haven't ridden one before, although I did a Baviaans trip (+-900kms from Thursday to Sunday) solo with a KLE500 which wasn't too bad.

She finds the KLR seat very uncomfortable on the dirt roads. She does not have much built in padding!

I do long solo (one day) rides on the KLR and find it comfy enough for me.

She enjoys the tar on my old FZR. Those old road bikes still have a proper pillion seat. I like the new Africa Twin, as when I tested one at Kyalami on a dirt trail, I found it to be as easy to ride as my KLR but with double the power. The SuperTen is also an amazing bike and particularly good for a pillion. It would be fine too on the dirt roads I would ride with the missus on the back. Anyway, that choice is still a future one!

You have great places to ride down your area. If You can face the long ride to Louvain farm, the ride over the Voortrekker route (dating from the 1700s) down to BergPlaas is stunning on a small bike. If you arekeen I can show you in June (when home) or of course just to welcome you to my pad in Hoekwil for a well earned beer after that ride!

I hope your son is enjoying his bike as much as you are! My boy loved his Honda 125!

Are you allowed over there on a bike?

I have done it a number of times on my mtb and it's friggen difficult

Are you allowed over there on a bike?

I have done it a number of times on my mtb and it's friggen difficult

I was passing after a ride through the Kammanasie Valley and turned it to enquire. I met the farm manager who gave me a map and arranged the gate at

Bergplaas to be opened. I had not expected to ride it right away. Turned out to be one of the most difficult dirt tracks I have been on with my motorcycle. I would like to take my Mtb some time.

I was passing after a ride through the Kammanasie Valley and turned it to enquire. I met the farm manager who gave me a map and arranged the gate at

Bergplaas to be opened. I had not expected to ride it right away. Turned out to be one of the most difficult dirt tracks I have been on with my motorcycle. I would like to take my Mtb some time.

Wikus and Ecobound used to have an mtb event every December that started at the George riding club and went over the old Montague Pass,turned right and skirted the mountain all along to Louvain where we would camp overnight and then over the old Wa Pad and back to George

Used to be our highlight year end event and was fantastic....until they stopped doing it 

Wikus and Ecobound used to have an mtb event every December that started at the George riding club and went over the old Montague Pass,turned right and skirted the mountain all along to Louvain where we would camp overnight and then over the old Wa Pad and back to George

Used to be our highlight year end event and was fantastic....until they stopped doing it

This sounds like a really cool ride!

This sounds like a really cool ride!

Looking back at the info on the 2007 event which was the last by Ecobound I see they called it Devils Peak Pass...Duiwelskop I would imagine is the correct name

That year we finished in Wilderness in pouring rain

Hannes Neetling tried to carry on with the event but it petered out

Was a fantastic weekend when events were still a vibe

Edited by Kranswurm

So now that I know that the carb on my Scrambler will work (you never know how things will turn out when you haul something out of a box in the roof!) I sent it off for Vapour Blasting and then spent a bit of time on the long weekend with 400 waterpaper and a buff.

Pictures didn't come out too well, but it actually doesn't look too bad!

post-15215-0-58662300-1525243433_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-07557300-1525243471_thumb.jpg

So....the Missus drops a bombshell!

I have been away from home for the last month doing a course on a baby Gucci jet. During a slightly red wine infused Skype call the missus tells me that she wants to learn to ride a motorcycle! Says that since I am obsessed, she may just as well get into it to do gravel travel trips in the Karoo with me. A few days later, no wine involved, she is still keen on this. Actually quite stoked I am!

She will have little go on my KLR when I get home next week.........then I need to decide, a cute little 250 to learn on or persevere with the KLR......mmm. I hope she copes with the KLR as, really, it can barely pull the skin off a rice pudding, but I appreciate she is new to motorcycling. (Love the little bike I do)

Anyways, this is all rather exciting as we head to our middle 50’s!

So....the Missus drops a bombshell!

I have been away from home for the last month doing a course on a baby Gucci jet. During a slightly red wine infused Skype call the missus tells me that she wants to learn to ride a motorcycle! Says that since I am obsessed, she may just as well get into it to do gravel travel trips in the Karoo with me. A few days later, no wine involved, she is still keen on this. Actually quite stoked I am!

She will have little go on my KLR when I get home next week.........then I need to decide, a cute little 250 to learn on or persevere with the KLR......mmm. I hope she copes with the KLR as, really, it can barely pull the skin off a rice pudding, but I appreciate she is new to motorcycling. (Love the little bike I do)

Anyways, this is all rather exciting as we head to our middle 50’s!

Awesome man, would be lovely having your mrs ride along with you. Much better than being a pillion.

I am in the same boat but trying to get her to ride a Yamaha TRX850. Also not massively powerful but has enough to hurt you quite badly. Will take some patience.......

Play together, stay together and all that. Great development and lots of fun in future. Just ride safe. 7 passes road would be a good start, no?

Play together, stay together and all that. Great development and lots of fun in future. Just ride safe. 7 passes road would be a good start, no?

Yeah, there are actually some tight corners for a real beginner. We will head out to the wide open roads in the Kamanasie valley, let her play around there. I sadly sold two beautiful little trainer bikes, a Honda 125 and a CRF 230, either would have been great.