Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is always this option :P

http://www.mhmcapetown.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2015-Thruxton.jpeg

there is always this option :P

http://www.mhmcapetown.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2015-Thruxton.jpeg

Jap crap for me.....

Hairy,

If you're interested one of my mates is looking to sell his 990 Duke. Don't know exact details but can find out if you like.

Hairy,

If you're interested one of my mates is looking to sell his 990 Duke. Don't know exact details but can find out if you like.

Thanks ... but this is the "kicking the tyres" phase .... lot's to happen before I start aggressively shopping.

:unsure:

Don't listen to the worm. Seldom does a positive comment escape his lips....

Take one for a test ride. Try ride a few options back to back and compare them (just remember to compare apples with apples). As with any mark, you sometimes get unlucky. With a new bike you shouldn't have any issues that the warranty won't cover. Obviously the further away from the original purchase date you decide to venture, the risk is proportional.

Bike spares are expensive when things go wrong. There isn't a lot of difference between part prices between the German/Austrian/Japanese bikes (Know of a KTM cylinder head that cracked and a replacement head wasn't that much more expensive than a Yamaha head). There are pros and cons for sure between owning each one but at the end of the day it's a trade off I suppose. 

Happy browsing!!

For Duke 390  money I would buy a Kawasaki Ninja 400.

KTM spares may be comparable in price to Japs but I have heard bad things about availability. 7 week wait for something as simple as a clutch lever for example.......

I'm not sure new, but it looks like used they are around R50K?  

Are you only looking at new or would you consider used, because R50k will get you some pretty nice used models which are pretty attractive - Suzuki SV650's are brilliant and full of character - Yamaha FZ6R is one of the most underrated models out there. Kawasaki ER6F, Honda NC700.

Hell if you really wanted something different and could stretch your budget to R60k then the Triumph 675 Street Triple is brilliant

I'm not sure new, but it looks like used they are around R50K?  

Are you only looking at new or would you consider used, because R50k will get you some pretty nice used models which are pretty attractive - Suzuki SV650's are brilliant and full of character - Yamaha FZ6R is one of the most underrated models out there. Kawasaki ER6F, Honda NC700.

Hell if you really wanted something different and could stretch your budget to R60k then the Triumph 675 Street Triple is brilliant

One of my colleagues has the speed triple... She says chain and sprocket is about 6k...... 

But man the street triple is so wow!! its a shame you don't see them that often. 

For Duke 390  money I would buy a Kawasaki Ninja 400.

KTM spares may be comparable in price to Japs but I have heard bad things about availability. 7 week wait for something as simple as a clutch lever for example.......

I haven't had to wait longer than two weeks for parts from Alfie Cox Racing. KTM Durban are also not too bad with most items ex stock and on service items (oil filters), KTM are actually cheaper that Startline...

One of my colleagues has the speed triple... She says chain and sprocket is about 6k...... 

But man the street triple is so wow!! its a shame you don't see them that often. 

Probably.  If you buy OEM parts.

Best kept secret out there?  You can buy Renold Transmission chain from Bearing Man for way, waaaaaay cheaper than from a Bike shop.......

Probably.  If you buy OEM parts.

Best kept secret out there?  You can buy Renold Transmission chain from Bearing Man for way, waaaaaay cheaper than from a Bike shop.......

Are these O-ring chains?

Just bought a sprocket and chain set, with a 525 O-ring chain for R2180-00.