Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Mal Fenati but back in the day aside from trying to splash those behind you at stream crossings and mud holes, tweaking another dirt biker's throttle, brake or kill switch was fair game. Also sneaking up behind, putting your foot on his exhaust pipe and accelerating generated some amusement.

Geez, you've been a bad boy. But to pull someone's front brake at that speed? Surely not even you tried that?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience of the Kawasaki Versys 300?

I've researched this bike quite extensively and it looks like an ideal first powered two wheeler for me, newly retired, with a lifelong desire to own and ride a motorcycle. I've sat on one and sizing feels right, not too small and not too big either. Can't test ride until I renew my Learner's licence though.

I've researched this bike quite extensively and it looks like an ideal first powered two wheeler for me, newly retired, with a lifelong desire to own and ride a motorcycle. I've sat on one and sizing feels right, not too small and not too big either. Can't test ride until I renew my Learner's licence though.

I had the 650 and cannot recommend this bike enough!

Its a fantastic first bike and I loved every minute of owning it, I cant comment on the 300 but if its anything like the 650 it'll be perfect!

I will not buy that capacity engine, its too small. Once you into biking and want to tour even ride further, the bike will not be ideal to do long distance travel.

If you have more question please feel free to contact me, might give you better guidance.

i reckon that 300 is a sweet lil mill. Out performs the KLR650 any day of the week and enough poke to get ahead of the traffic and top end around 170. Nothing more needed i reckon.

I see kwak are bringing out a 400 ninja here, so possibly a 400 cc versys will also be coming down the line. However price will go up etc..mate of mine has the 300 ninja (same engine) and he uses it for commuting and scratching around the country lanes, he loves it.

if you like the versys 300, buy it.

Geez, you've been a bad boy. But to pull someone's front brake at that speed? Surely not even you tried that?

of course not; that is madness; red mist stuff.

But in Lesotho back then 2 guys nearly came to blows because one leant across and blew the other's hooter and the big black rubber bulb came off.  Make of it what you want.

I will not buy that capacity engine, its too small. Once you into biking and want to tour even ride further, the bike will not be ideal to do long distance travel.

If you have more question please feel free to contact me, might give you better guidance.

I don't agree.  I think this will make a great touring bike.  You don't need a 1200 to go long distance, a small capacity bike will be perfect.  Stick to the back roads, travel a bit slower, make the most of the journey.  Especially as a new rider.  This bike will be perfect.

I've had bigger bikes, but I keep finding myself looking at these smaller capacities again.  It's not all about speed and power. 

Ya nuts. Hard for another team to pick him up after that so he's blown it properly

When looking at the smaller capacity bikes keep an eye on the Kw/kg ratio.

I’m biased toward the 390 Duke as I bought it to commute and for the wife’s first bike after a scooter many years ago.

My girlfriend has a Kawasaki Ninja 250R and it is an amazing bike but I would hate to do any sort of distance on it. Not because of anything other than I would be bored $#itless!!!!

When looking at the smaller capacity bikes keep an eye on the Kw/kg ratio.

I’m biased toward the 390 Duke as I bought it to commute and for the wife’s first bike after a scooter many years ago.

Barry,

What sort of commuting do you do? Is it the Duke single you have? If so, just for comparison, one of my colleagues bought one as his first bike and for commuting. We both think it's a nice bike but he suffered badly in the wind here in Cape Town and also got bullied around by cars. I don't think that for commuting it has enough "presence" on the road and car drivers tend to ignore bikes which don't catch their attention for one reason or another.

I used to ride a motomia 250. got bullied a lot, and cars wont let you pass and and and we know the story. 

Bought a GS 650 Dakar. Nice bike, very stable, predictable and easy to ride. Lots of presence on the road, and cars actually sees you. very very silent with the original pipes. Good fuel consumption (24-26 km/l) 

The only thing for me, its getting a bit boring. there is no x-factor that gets me excited to go and ride. 

Would I recommend it as a first bike? If your feet can reach the ground, most definitely. 

Those 650 Dakars with the Rotax motors are good bikes. Not the most exciting bikes around but a good buy none the less. Nice ones are becoming harder to find. Their owners don't let go easily :)

I'm curious about this x factor. One of my mates also mentioned it and lots of guys say it with regard to riding BMWs. 

So what is it, this x factor? More power, a steep power band or torque curve? The possibility of breaking down? 

What gets you excited to ride?