Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I remember him for riding the RG500 Suzuki. Square four 2 stroke. Amazing bike and he could sure ride it. 

f0404c06438d6f155e58c237e47dadf7.jpg

Didn't Robbie Pietersen also ride them at some point?

Popular and successful circuit racer in late 70's and early 80's.

If memory serves me right, he at one stage converted a Yammie XS1100 shaft drive to chain drive, and terrorized the factory Honda's, Kawa's and Suzuki's with it in the the "superbike" class.

His one son also became a decent circuit racer in SA.

Rod Gray was the rider of the XS11....a lil larger in girth than the normal racer and still gave them carrots.

Van Bredas one son was killed in a bike accident a couple of years ago now...time flies.

Van Breda used to sponsor a mate of mine , Gavin Ramsey back in the day... used to get parts for my 9F via Gavin when I used to stand beat for him so he could race.

Gavin also died a lil while ago on the bike...RIP...

the heydays of racing we used to go to the old halfway house drive in on our 50s, watch the double feature then move onto kyalami to stay over night and watch the racing.... the good ole days.

Correct, Rod Gray was the man, and as you say, not exactly small in stature.

Was it not Greame? (memory a bit fuzzy with age  :whistling: )

Gavin was a real character, and he could ride a motorbike. Was a great loss, as he was competitive in every class he competed in, right up to his untimely death.

I met Les Van Breda when he was riding a couple of bikes. He said he loved the RG500. He called it his "Norton". I assume he meant it had torque but I was so start-struck I didn't ask what he meant.

I remember Rod Gray riding a Honda CBX - my all-time favourite bike - with hollowed out pipes. Nothing ever matched the sound of those bike going up through the gears.

Still a long way before I make any sort of move, but the Iron 883 still appeals to me, especially as I have last ridden a motorbike 20 odd years ago ..... and at a pricing from 70-74K for very low mileage rides, it is appealing .... just wonder if you can actually overtake a car that is doing 120km on the open roads though.

And no, I would pass on the scarf you lot have been posting pics of :P

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/city-centre/2015-harley+davidson-sportster-883-iron/1003260042610911451870709

$_20.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I dont know what their top end is like, but what is listed as cruising speed? 

If I remember correctly is is something like 90 or 100km/h. Not saying it cant do 160, just that the machine is comfortable at lower speeds. 

^^^^ this is a beautiful bike! Will you be commuting at all? 

It would be the occasional ride to work or meetings. Mostly town riding and the odd meeting in Paarl or thereabouts .... then a few site meetings out in Worcester, but not often.

First priority is still to cycle to work you know :P

Seems 104MPH is the accepted top speed without mods ... so 167.3568KM/H

I dont know what their top end is like, but what is listed as cruising speed? 

If I remember correctly is is something like 90 or 100km/h. Not saying it cant do 160, just that the machine is comfortable at lower speeds. 

^^^^ this is a beautiful bike! Will you be commuting at all? 

Still a long way before I make any sort of move, but the Iron 883 still appeals to me, especially as I have last ridden a motorbike 20 odd years ago ..... and at a pricing from 70-74K for very low mileage rides, it is appealing .... just wonder if you can actually overtake a car that is doing 120km on the open roads though.

And no, I would pass on the scarf you lot have been posting pics of :P

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/city-centre/2015-harley+davidson-sportster-883-iron/1003260042610911451870709

$_20.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Got a reply back from the add, and said I will pop in on Friday as it is two blocks from my office ... then he replies and notes he will have a cold beer ready for me ...... no person I have ever bought a bike from has offered to have a cold beer, or even a glass of tap water ready for me :P

Best find out about service costs, parts pricing and insurance costs while you are at it maybe. Nobody here can accurately comment.

I would say it can cruise at 100 easily, with the torque it could get up to 120 but I doubt thats where it is comfortable.

Similar to my fiance's Ninja 250R, it can do 140 but sits comfortably at 110. But the Ninja needs a gear or 2 dropped for overtaking, it does rev to 13500rpm though with not much torque.

The beer might mean he is desperate to sell, wants to get you drunk. Take protection, never know in CPT........

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

The business rents out bikes, this particular one is one of three in their Harley line up with a ship load of BMW's.

I would hope / expect they would be looking after the bikes.

The black pipes and being able to take the wife on the back appeals to me ... good thing the wife weights next to nothing given the smaller HD engine of the 883

Best find out about service costs, parts pricing and insurance costs while you are at it maybe.

The beer might mean he is desperate to sell, wants to get you drunk. Take protection, never know in CPT........

Got a reply back from the add, and said I will pop in on Friday as it is two blocks from my office ... then he replies and notes he will have a cold beer ready for me ...... no person I have ever bought a bike from has offered to have a cold beer, or even a glass of tap water ready for me :P

I can hear you swiping your c card from here... 

small thing called the wife to get past first :P

I can hear you swiping your c card from here...