Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Ah 2 stroke nostalgia. I indulged in many years of Castrol R in various Husqvarna's - I tried the KTM 495, Yam 490 and Maico 490 (regret never riding a Honda or Kaw 2 stroke 500) but, for enduro's always came back to the Husky's. I did advance from Castrol R at 25:1 (burn out the exhaust every 6 months or so) to Bel Ray at 50:1 with never a problem, even in Lesotho. Even now I look at indulging in a 250 or 300 2 stroke.

Regarding the Yamahas I shamelessly try and understand Kevin Cameron's musings on the 250's and follow various blogs of Banshee flavoured Kenny Roberts replicas as well as 500's imported into the US from Japan and re-built. Fascinating; just do not let them seize at 160.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it was a favorite thing to do, especially on "race days"  (when all us lighties on 'strokers got together for a bit of d!ck swinging.  :whistling: )

A small (think it was 30ml) bottle of castor oil in half a tank of fuel gave just the right effect.

Every Friday we had a race day outside school.. meant lots of polishing of ports and the like on Thursday evenings. I rebuilt my 50 engine more times than I care to remember, not because it was broken but in an attempt to extract another 1/1000th of a HP.

Castrol R made us all smell like motocross racers. my school clothes, hair, bag everything smelt of the stuff. Natural pheromones and made the chicks swoon for us ous. We were so damn pisss cool

Every Friday we had a race day outside school.. meant lots of polishing of ports and the like on Thursday evenings. I rebuilt my 50 engine more times than I care to remember, not because it was broken but in an attempt to extract another 1/1000th of a HP.

Castrol R made us all smell like motocross racers. my school clothes, hair, bag everything smelt of the stuff. Natural pheromones and made the chicks swoon for us ous. We were so damn pisss cool

And don't forget that 0.0001km/h faster.

Which the Laaities of today know nothing about. :whistling:

I set my MBX 50 up with a 14/35 for top end speed, then did the "hook both feet in the carrier, chin on the tank" for aerodynamics to top out at as high as possible.  

I think we just *thought* the chicks liked the smell.  Because when I came in from a ride a few months back on the DT my wife looked at me with a screwed up nose and asked what that smell was.....

Wish we had GPS back then - might have settled a whole bunch of arguments.  Although 105kph doesn't sound nearly as cool as "I can easily get the needle way past the turn light-must be at least 140kph"

That was WAY too much effort. Was much easier to drop a 80cc barrel on the thing and get rid of the tot glass piston.

Of course it you couldn’t be fast, you needed to sound fast. Removing the baffel out the pipe dropped the panties even faster..

Ah 2 stroke nostalgia. I indulged in many years of Castrol R in various Husqvarna's - I tried the KTM 495, Yam 490 and Maico 490 (regret never riding a Honda or Kaw 2 stroke 500) but, for enduro's always came back to the Husky's. I did advance from Castrol R at 25:1 (burn out the exhaust every 6 months or so) to Bel Ray at 50:1 with never a problem, even in Lesotho. Even now I look at indulging in a 250 or 300 2 stroke.

Regarding the Yamahas I shamelessly try and understand Kevin Cameron's musings on the 250's and follow various blogs of Banshee flavoured Kenny Roberts replicas as well as 500's imported into the US from Japan and re-built. Fascinating; just do not let them seize at 160.

I once gave my excess karting fuel with Castrol R in it to the gardener. He ran his weedeater on it and wanted to know what was in it cause it made the thing a lot more powerful....

He wanted to get more of it so for a couple of months whilst i was racing i gave him my excess and the whole neighbourhood smelled of Castrol R. He was all smiles....

I once gave my excess karting fuel with Castrol R in it to the gardener. He ran his weedeater on it and wanted to know what was in it cause it made the thing a lot more powerful....

He wanted to get more of it so for a couple of months whilst i was racing i gave him my excess and the whole neighbourhood smelled of Castrol R. He was all smiles....

My weed eater ran on Motul 800 for a few years. Always had premix available from my 300, man.....fresh cut lawn smell finished off with 2-smoke edges....Was like sex for your nostrils.

That was WAY too much effort. Was much easier to drop a 80cc barrel on the thing and get rid of the tot glass piston.

Of course it you couldn’t be fast, you needed to sound fast. Removing the baffel out the pipe dropped the panties even faster..

Haha. I was poor. No maaaaanie for those kind of mods.

Used to cut the baffle for performance.

One time I took of exhaust to clear carbon. Put some petrol in. Set it alight an well things got out of hand. Next moment the entire garden was on fire. Haha. My ole man was livid.

I set my MBX 50 up with a 14/35 for top end speed, then did the "hook both feet in the carrier, chin on the tank" for aerodynamics to top out at as high as possible.  

The "Bullet" as we used to call it.  :D

After my AR50 which was pretty rapid my Dad did a deal with my brothers and cars, and I was offered a brand new MBX - R3495 in 1988.  Compared to the AR quality wise it was miles ahead, but it was a slug performance wise.  Even with a bored out carb and K&N filter it wasn't great.

In the end, I barely rode it, and sold it to buy (another) DT175 for university.  Probably only had 6000kms on when I sold it.  Often wonder where it is now.

The AR would be easier to track - I had an AE and desperately wanted and AR so found an abused one in Newcastle where we lived.  It never had papers, so because the frames were the same, I converted the AE engine to six speed, and built the AR parts over to the AE frame.  So somewhere out there in SA is an AR50, with AE50 engine and frame numbers..... It would also have a custom manifold to fit a Suzuki B120 carb, ridiculously wild porting and marks on the rear wheel where my Dad took it to Iscor and they gripped the hub in a massive lathe with a 3-jaw chuck to turn out the groove in the rear brake hub surface....

After my AR50 which was pretty rapid my Dad did a deal with my brothers and cars, and I was offered a brand new MBX - R3495 in 1988.  Compared to the AR quality wise it was miles ahead, but it was a slug performance wise.  Even with a bored out carb and K&N filter it wasn't great.

In the end, I barely rode it, and sold it to buy (another) DT175 for university.  Probably only had 6000kms on when I sold it.  Often wonder where it is now.

The AR would be easier to track - I had an AE and desperately wanted and AR so found an abused one in Newcastle where we lived.  It never had papers, so because the frames were the same, I converted the AE engine to six speed, and built the AR parts over to the AE frame.  So somewhere out there in SA is an AR50, with AE50 engine and frame numbers..... It would also have a custom manifold to fit a Suzuki B120 carb, ridiculously wild porting and marks on the rear wheel where my Dad took it to Iscor and they gripped the hub in a massive lathe with a 3-jaw chuck to turn out the groove in the rear brake hub surface....

My boet was is about 6 years older than me. My dad decided my older brother needed a project so as he was in insurance he got him a scrapped Cub 50 cc Honda auto clutch 3 gear as something to tool around the garden on. He thought it would take him months to get it going. Took him days. Thta was built in to a scrambler (with whatever could be scrounged)

Then the next iteration (which is the link to the above) was a B 120 delivery bike which was also scrapped from a crash that was modified to go around the Darrenwood dam scrambling track. It was a lot more rapid than the 50cc Honda. Non existent suspension and ramping over disused car bonnets to see who could get furthest - circa about 1974. there was a track around there ins the areas that are now essentially offices which all the area lighties raced their home made machines on. No sight of anyone on a proper MX bike unless your old man was rich .

I also inherited some of his hand me downs and spent many an afternoon trying to catch my mates around some of those sections of track - all of which are Cresta parking lots now. There were a coupe of pretty hairy corners and the like in there and when they built Cresta centre they had to compete with us using their excavations for our tracks. Got chase doff site many times by the guys trying to build a shopping centre. there was a drop off on the corner of Judges and republic called "Gravity Cavity" if i remember correctly - through the river and up the other side - many fond memories of a youth spent riding these things around the dam there - "Scrambling"....

I had an AE and desperately wanted and AR 

Lol, I know that feeling... When I was 16 my dad bought me a knackered AE. Engine ran ok and I had to fix up all the electrics and body work etc... (Also not licensed, but my dad owned a motor workshop and so I used his trade plates... :whistling: )

Later, I got to rebuild the top end and put in a new piston and rings.  Unfortunately, probably should have done the bottom end as well... Shortly after that, the roller bearings decided to disintegrate and bits made their way up the transfer ports and embedded themselves in the top of the piston, barrel and head... 

So then I was phoning around local bike shops looking for parts and the one place said they had a whole bike, but an AR!  :w00t:  I was so stoked!

But when I went to go see it, it was an AE... <_< Anyway... That lasted me till I was 18 (and moved on to the next knackered bike my dad had bought me that we'd been fixing up - a Kawa Z200) 

Lol, I know that feeling... When I was 16 my dad bought me a knackered AE. Engine ran ok and I had to fix up all the electrics and body work etc... (Also not licensed, but my dad owned a motor workshop and so I used his trade plates... :whistling: )

Later, I got to rebuild the top end and put in a new piston and rings.  Unfortunately, probably should have done the bottom end as well... Shortly after that, the roller bearings decided to disintegrate and bits made their way up the transfer ports and embedded themselves in the top of the piston, barrel and head... 

So then I was phoning around local bike shops looking for parts and the one place said they had a whole bike, but an AR!  :w00t:  I was so stoked!

But when I went to go see it, it was an AE... <_< Anyway... That lasted me till I was 18 (and moved on to the next knackered bike my dad had bought me that we'd been fixing up - a Kawa Z200) 

Hmmmm - might have been my old hybrid lol