Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning All

Have any of you used your bicycle floor pump to pump up your motorbike tyres in the convenience of your own homes yet?

I had the pump next to the bike the other evening and figured that (a) it should be a damned accurate way to check the pressure (b) makes getting to the rear valve so much easier and (c) is there when I need it without going to the petrol station.

I used mine the weekend on my car!

39 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Morning All

Have any of you used your bicycle floor pump to pump up your motorbike tyres in the convenience of your own homes yet?

I had the pump next to the bike the other evening and figured that (a) it should be a damned accurate way to check the pressure (b) makes getting to the rear valve so much easier and (c) is there when I need it without going to the petrol station.

Hairy, did my front wheel (KLR650) on Saturday past, yes it works, it was the way it was done before compressors at petrol station

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Morning All

I use my bicycle floor pump all the time. It’s a convenient way to check pressures, and inflate if it’s a little off.... Otherwise, I have a 12v compressor stored in the caravan 👌🏽

Moring all, Took a ride last week with some of my mates. En route we met a very friendly guy who just walked up to us while we were parked chatting at the bottom of Du Toit's Kloof. He just came over to chat because he saw our bikes. Said he was also a biker and invited us to see his bottling plant where he bottles spring water. We went to visit him and he sent us n our way after giving us each a bottle of ice cold spring water and proudly showing us his collection of cars he races at Killarney and then, the finale - he unveiled a Honda CBX and a KTM 990. A proper petrolhead and enthusiast and a terrific guy. It's amazing how bikers gravitate to other bikers and instantly find common ground.

From there we went to a place called Bike Forge. If you don't know it, it's another biker restaurant run by another enthusiast just off the R 46 between Wolsley and Tulbagh. A great collection of bikes and memorablia and the owner will talk bikes with you as long as you want. They have spit braais on occasions and big screens for MOTOGP and rugby. Coffee was great too. 

I recommend it as a break if you're out that way or even a visit as a day ride from town.

https://goo.gl/maps/KS7GqbDGVvrcCCih6

IMG_20220226_113142[1].jpg

IMG_20220226_123632[1].jpg

IMG_20220226_114420[1].jpg

Edited by sawystertrance

4 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I used mine the weekend on my car!

Yeah, I have used mine on the car too. Wife has a mysterious flat tyre every now and then and the bike pump works a treat. 

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

Morning All

I use my bicycle pump for all my bikes and cars. Guage is accurate and it’s free. Takes a minute. 

we pay for air here 😂 and there normally only one pump at a service station and not next to the pumps. 

2 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Moring all, Took a ride last week with some of my mates. En route we met a very friendly guy who just walked up to us while we were parked chatting at the bottom of Du Toit's Kloof. He just came over to chat because he saw our bikes. Said he was also a biker and invited us to see his bottling plant where he bottles spring water. We went to visit him and he sent us n our way after giving us each a bottle of ice cold spring water and proudly showing us his collection of cars he races at Killarney and then, the finale - he unveiled a Honda CBX and a KTM 990. A proper petrolhead and enthusiast and a terrific guy. It's amazing how bikers gravitate to other bikers and instantly find common ground.

From there we went to a place called Bike Forge. If you don't know it, it's another biker restaurant run by another enthusiast just off the R 46 between Wolsley and Tulbagh. A great collection of bikes and memorablia and the owner will talk bikes with you as long as you want. They have spit braais on occasions and big screens for MOTOGP and rugby. Coffee was great too. 

I recommend it as a break if you're out that way or even a visit as a day ride from town.

https://goo.gl/maps/KS7GqbDGVvrcCCih6

IMG_20220226_113142[1].jpg

IMG_20220226_123632[1].jpg

IMG_20220226_114420[1].jpg

My mate has a water company In the area so for a minute I thought it was him. But don’t think he has a cbx.. 😎

I'm in the midst of carb cleaning and servicing on the twin Mikuni's on the DR750. I have learned an awful lot about how carburetors work (and also why fuel injection was invented...) That said, its a fun learning curve. 

I'm waiting for some eBay carb service parts to arrive and in the meantime I'm busy cleaning the carbs for a second time. I had hoped to find a local (CT) place to have them cleaned ultrasonically, but so far no luck. Anyone have any leads for this? 

The bike had its original blue and white hand sprayed over with mat black. Not a good look at all so I'm also busy stripping paint off the plastic using brake fluid -a tip I found on the interweb. The original paint seems to be tougher and doesn't get affected very much by the brake fluid. 

I must admit I am having my patience tested. I so want to get the bike working and hit the street...

Yep also use my bicycle floor pump all the time on the bike. Don't trust the petrol station gauges and petrol jockey's.

18 hours ago, Headshot said:

I'm in the midst of carb cleaning and servicing on the twin Mikuni's on the DR750. I have learned an awful lot about how carburetors work (and also why fuel injection was invented...) That said, its a fun learning curve. 

I'm waiting for some eBay carb service parts to arrive and in the meantime I'm busy cleaning the carbs for a second time. I had hoped to find a local (CT) place to have them cleaned ultrasonically, but so far no luck. Anyone have any leads for this? 

The bike had its original blue and white hand sprayed over with mat black. Not a good look at all so I'm also busy stripping paint off the plastic using brake fluid -a tip I found on the interweb. The original paint seems to be tougher and doesn't get affected very much by the brake fluid. 

I must admit I am having my patience tested. I so want to get the bike working and hit the street...

I have cleaned plenty of carbs but never had to go to an ultrasonic cleaner; mostly carb cleaner, compressed air and boiled a few parts in lemon juice 🙄 (there are other options as well). If you have to go ultrasonic some jewellers have small ones; heat exchanger places have big ones.

I did a 200km loop via different sites and meetings today, and not 1km of that was done on a national road.
All back and minor type roads.
What a flipping awesome day to be on the bike.
Heading home I was passing through Paarl to go back via the R44-R312 to Table View and passed by the old slave chapel where we got married, so had to make a U-turn to go snap a quick pic.image.png.62c903a38e9a26c9a1ecf5476064311a.png