Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

How was the XR to commute on?

A joy. Basically no highway k's in my daily commute, but it's happy to sit at 90km/h. I wouldn't do that for extended periods though. But that's me.

Its nippy, comfortable, light on fuel (35km/l) and corners as if on rails. Lean it over and it just goes. Fork dives a little, but I suppose that's expected for the money.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A joy. Basically no highway k's in my daily commute, but it's happy to sit at 90km/h. I wouldn't do that for extended periods though. But that's me.

Its nippy, comfortable, light on fuel (35km/l) and corners as if on rails. Lean it over and it just goes. Fork dives a little, but I suppose that's expected for the money.

What was the distance you covered one way? 

I would like some advice; I have been drooling over buell bikes for over 3 years now.

and i am tyred of just looking and am seriously considering buying a 2008 xb12 Rfirebolt.

i have been getting mixed opinions. any advice ? the one I am looking at is the second owner. first owner brought it over from the states> has 11000miles on and guy wants 50 for it. what else would one consider?

Who sells them ? Spares available ?  

I would like some advice; I have been drooling over buell bikes for over 3 years now.

and i am tyred of just looking and am seriously considering buying a 2008 xb12 Rfirebolt.

i have been getting mixed opinions. any advice ? the one I am looking at is the second owner. first owner brought it over from the states> has 11000miles on and guy wants 50 for it. what else would one consider?

I have always liked Buells ever since my dad's mate took delivery of one of the first Buells into the country in the 80's. It was yellow. Nothing nicer than watching a brand new bike being uncrated for it's first unveiling to it's new owner.

I did read on Wilddogs though that Buell were no longer... There was a picture of a skip full of Buells that was destined for the crusher.

Can't confirm the story but it could impact on spares going forward.

I still miss mine

post-1575-0-52554500-1312739926.jpg

This bike is so much better than I expected it to be. I was concerned that it would be a bit bland but it is so nice to ride. Off road it is unbelievable. So glad I chose it over the Triumph. I am now busy planning some nice long tours...

This bike is so much better than I expected it to be. I was concerned that it would be a bit bland but it is so nice to ride. Off road it is unbelievable. So glad I chose it over the Triumph. I am now busy planning some nice long tours...

Did you get the one with all the electronic wizardry?

Did you get the one with all the electronic wizardry?

ja. all the bells and whistles. It really makes a difference. If you want to play you turn it all off. If you want a nice relaxed cruise you turn it all on. The wife is much more relaxed on the back knowing that there all these safety gizmos.

You can take the bike with road tyres on wet grass and ( in enduro mode) grab a handfull of throttle and it will slide just enough to be fun but you wont lose it. Amazing

EBR(Eric Buell Racing) is in fact no longer. They do use Harley engines so more a chassis and parts issue later on.

I have also lusted after that firebolt. Oil in the swingarm, fuel in the frame. Either genius or a recipe for disaster, they get great reviews. Wheelbase identical to an Aprilia RS125, be ready for plenty of wheelies!!!!

EBR(Eric Buell Racing) is in fact no longer. They do use Harley engines so more a chassis and parts issue later on.

I have also lusted after that firebolt. Oil in the swingarm, fuel in the frame. Either genius or a recipe for disaster, they get great reviews. Wheelbase identical to an Aprilia RS125, be ready for plenty of wheelies!!!!

Are they not promoted on " The Bike Show " , on Dstv ? Available from the okes at Kyalami ?

Buell/EBR has indeed closed up shop, so from that point of view you are not going to be able to pop down to your local Bike shop and get spares easily. Motors are Harley, so engine parts will be fine (18000km on a Harley Motor is nothing), but cycle parts will have to be ordered - a little spill where you break a mirror and a clutch lever will probably turn into a 3 week wait for the parts to come from the States. But I doubt if you will not be able to source parts, it will just take a little longer.

Equivalents? There aren't many, but the Yamaha MT-01 springs to mind - a real odd-ball thing but assured of future classic status. Ducati Monsters are similar, as well as the KTM Dukes. The Aprilia Tuono is also something to be considered and one of the most underrated bikes you will ever find is the BMW K1300R - pig ugly, but wow what a bike

I love the Firebolt!  All the cool features mentioned, plus the front disc around the edge of the wheel.  It may be the same wheel base as an RS125 but it certainly doesn't feel like one!  (I had an RS125) but it's hilarious!  It vibrates and shakes so much and feels like a bit of a monster when you pull away.  I wouldn't want to be on one for a long period of time, but for blasting around its awesome.

The K1300R is also a great bike - silky smooth and very very quick!

Did you all see the new Africa Twin that they unveiled yesterday?  They've been teasing it at shows recently, but its finally official:

New Honda Africa Twin revealed

I saw the article yesterday. It looks like a proper dirt bike! I was part of the SA guys who did the pre-testing of the Yamaha XT660Z and later the Super10, and we had many discussions with Yamaha Japan on why they built a bike which wasn't a real dirt adventurer. The Japanese manufacturers are very conservative, so this Honda could really be something special

I saw the article yesterday. It looks like a proper dirt bike! I was part of the SA guys who did the pre-testing of the Yamaha XT660Z and later the Super10, and we had many discussions with Yamaha Japan on why they built a bike which wasn't a real dirt adventurer. The Japanese manufacturers are very conservative, so this Honda could really be something special

How did you get that right?  How do I become involved??

:clap:

How did you get that right?  How do I become involved??

:clap:

It wasn't nearly as fun as it sounds. Did it for 4 years and then decided enough and went back to a real job. 20% of the time was fun, the other 80% was crap - placating dealers, juggling orders, trying to explain to customers why SA was only allocated 10 R1's off the shipment, and his wasn't one of them, fielding calls from drunk customers on Sunday nights who have just destroyed their clutch doing a burn-out and wanting to know if it was covered under warranty. You get the picture I'm sure.

I understand completely - I'm the importer for a dirt bike brand in SA, but working for Yamaha sounds much better!  Especially pre release testing!

I wouldn't turn my nose up if they came knocking