Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 3/16/2023 at 12:59 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

It is easy for us to speculate, we were not there.  All I'm saying is that it is not as cut and dried as that. 

That the biker who was hit is absolutely blameless isn't disputed, wrong place, wrong time, that's why it is an accident. 

What we do not know is at what speed was the truck driving?  Assume though it was keeping to the speed limit, which for a goods vehicle with a GVM exceeding 9 tons is 80km/h, when he pulled out in front of her and she was doing 120, the speed limit for passenger vehicles, that already is a differential of 40km/h.  Perhaps the SUV was travelling faster, we don't know.  

The way I see it, the truck was in the left hand lane, she will not have seen the "bike marshal" in the left lane as he was ahead of the truck, moving even slower, for who the truck had to move out, into the fast lane, so she did not anticipate the truck moving across into the fast lane (it is unclear on the video if the truck indicated, but it does not seem so). 

Truck moved in front of her, she climbed on the anchors, lost control, accident happened.  

In my opinion, and that is all it is, is an opinion, the "bike marshal" has some culpability, He must have crossed the solid line to get into the lane to try and keep the lane clear for the group to merge onto the highway.  He was travelling slower than the traffic with which the group needed to merge, causing an obstruction and a dangerous situation. 

Bike_Accident_2.png.505f3d65168845da4b7e8ce6ad47e268.png

One of the biggest problems on our roads, and the difference between SA roads and the roads where you live is the speed differential between vehicles.  That and the unlicensed/bought licensed drivers who have no clue of the rules of the road, never mind how to drive defensively. 

That is also why I don't have a bike anymore, it is virtually impossible to anticipate what other drivers will do on the road, and in general, SA drivers do not see motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians as road users.

Stepping off my soap box now, apologies for the rant...!   

I actually read your post this time and watched the video a few more times... Hard to judge speed but it looks like the SUv was going plenty fast and probably reacted late leading to a loss of control. Fortuners aren't known for high speed stability and cornering prowess when pushed from what I hear. On the biker front, it looks like they were entering a freeway at rather low speed - which is my pet hate about drivers - you need to get on at the freeway speed. The group can always regroup if they get split up at this time - I don't agree with trying to manipulate the traffic or occupy a lane the way they did.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I actually read your post this time and watched the video a few more times... Hard to judge speed but it looks like the SUv was going plenty fast and probably reacted late leading to a loss of control. Fortuners aren't known for high speed stability and cornering prowess when pushed from what I hear. On the biker front, it looks like they were entering a freeway at rather low speed - which is my pet hate about drivers - you need to get on at the freeway speed. The group can always regroup if they get split up at this time - I don't agree with trying to manipulate the traffic or occupy a lane the way they did.

Fortuners .... had a rental one in Namibia earlier this year ... what a K@K handling car.

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Feeling a bit jealous of all the riding pics... my slow motion DR Big moto restoration is proceeding, well very slowly. I have however picked up the cudgels after an extended festive season lay off and got going again. I'm working back to front and a problem I had was the worn out chain slider. Amazingly Suzuki can still supply one at nearly R1k after a few weeks. I decided to make myself one and eventually managed to source a 13mm thick HDPE cutting board which I have cut and carved and glued and heated until I had something that looks rather good IMHO.  It was cheap and a lot of fun to make. (The chain is clearly a bit rusty but the sprockets are not  worn out and I'm leaving this as is for now.)

Next is to resolve some airbox issues and possibly order a new air filter, then some final carb setting up. 

chain slider.jpg

Chaos Causes just released a video JUST FOR YOU @Headshot

An oldie copied from elsewhere, apologies if done to death

"Hi all, I need some advice. I've been suspecting for a long time now that my wife is having an affair, there are all the usual signs, if her phone rings and I answer it, it is cut off quickly, she deletes all her Whatsapp messages and goes out a lot until late with "girlfriends". Last night I decided to hide in the garage and see what was happening, she got in about 1am, got out of the car, took her panties from her handbag and put them on. Crouching behind my motorcycle like this, I saw a hairline crack on the rear swingarm, my question is, do you think I can weld it or will I have to replace it?"

Not watched the entire video but KTM now build in china and have a partnership with CF Moto. Thus all the old 790 manufacturing pieces are now in china and they have started building the 790 range agin s KTM but also cf Moto build their versions of the bike. Looks good too. 

I don’t care where something is built as long as it’s built well. I have some Chinese built amps as an example which are superb. My mighty KTM RC390 is built in India. Fantastic motorcycle and built in the Bajaj factory (iirc) great bike. It’s fun to ride it’s exciting but build quality is not the best and some bits are positively agricultural. But it is relatively cheaper compared to its direct competitors. BMW build the 310 r ge in India too. 

I do really want to get the chance of riding a trail bike on a trail .... been struggling to find a place where one can rent a trail or adv bike.

One can rent quad bikes, but I am not looking for a 4x4 experience :P

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

Fortuners .... had a rental one in Namibia earlier this year ... what a K@K handling car.

Years back I did a 4x4 training course that used Fortuners and Hiluxes. The guy who was running the course was also a tyre expert and was called in for his expertise as at the time there were some issues (i think there were even court cases?) with Fortuners and rolling over. The long and the short of is that it's actually a bakkie that people were expecting to perform like an expensive SUV... But he did said they did find a problem with Fortuners: Between the steering wheel and the front seat was a defective nut... (and if you know what a nut is called in Afrikaans... ) 🤣

9 minutes ago, Stoffel76 said:

Years back I did a 4x4 training course that used Fortuners and Hiluxes. The guy who was running the course was also a tyre expert and was called in for his expertise as at the time there were some issues (i think there were even court cases?) with Fortuners and rolling over. The long and the short of is that it's actually a bakkie that people were expecting to perform like an expensive SUV... But he did said they did find a problem with Fortuners: Between the steering wheel and the front seat was a defective nut... (and if you know what a nut is called in Afrikaans... ) 🤣

All I know is that compared to other rentals, the Fortuner was my least favourite vehicle 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:37 AM, Stoffel76 said:

they actually did find a problem (other than the nut mentioned above) and it was related to a combination of the suspension and tyres.

They say they solved it, but reports were that the things were just as unstable after the "fix"

4 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

What a lekker story this is. And check Brads weapon of choice. 

I used to work with the lads mum moons ago in ZA. She must be so thrilled  

What a cool story

On 3/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, Hairy said:

I do really want to get the chance of riding a trail bike on a trail .... been struggling to find a place where one can rent a trail or adv bike.

One can rent quad bikes, but I am not looking for a 4x4 experience :P

Visit  me in Hoekwil and I shall afford you the opportunity. Not real trail bikes though but ADV machines. KTM 690/ 1190, Kawa KLR 650 or Yammie DT125 ha ha. I would of course need to be home in SA as in not in the sandpit at work. I would love to do a guided tour of routes in my area with someone such as you who is a Harley man.  These offers only come up when I am in a fine mood and enjoying my wine! In fact I am looking at doing a bizz venture in this regard……Honda HR650’s. Not self ride rental at all, but guided……….when I retire from my aviating malarkey!