Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I've got one. awesome bike.... After my Duke's 1st service, I drove it back home from the dealership, which is about 130km, I did 190km/ph on the highway, (that's what the speedo said, don't know if its 100% accurate), but it felt like the engine wanted to go faster and faster..

I doubt mine will ever see high way and def never see past 130... commuter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt mine will ever see high way and def never see past 130... commuter :)

I use mine for commuting as well. But living in the Sh@t end of the country, my nearest KTM Shop is far far away, lol.

On the plus side, it only cost me R120 to fill up my tank.. :thumbup:

Edited by Lexx

Where are all you clever financial people - I bought my MBX50 new in 1988 for R3495 (A number forever etched in my brain because I had to bloody pay it off!) If I had invested R3495 in 1988, what would it be worth in 2016, given that a fully restored MBX50 asking price is around R30K.

My gut feel is that 50cc bikes are bad investments.....

Hmm, expensive......  :D

I paid just a tad over R500.00 brand new for my Suzuki TS 50 in 1973 and a whopping R25.00 for a "Protector" brand helmet. 

I saved up half and my old man put in the other half which I duly paid him back. Okay, okay, secretly he let me off a bit, but my Mom never knew. :D 

Was a great little bike and my girlfriend at the time and I buzzed all over on it, never even hiccuped. I accidentally rode into a wall once and the mudguard which was mounted to the forks by small screw inserts tore away and one of the screw inserts started leaking fork oil, not much, just a few drips but I took it to the local Suzuki agent and in a flash he pulled the fork off, brazed the insert over again and, off I went, I think it may have cost 20 bucks and it never leaked again.

That was the beauty of those old machines, simple to fix and run, much like life back then as well I guess........ **sigh**.

Where are all you clever financial people - I bought my MBX50 new in 1988 for R3495 (A number forever etched in my brain because I had to bloody pay it off!) If I had invested R3495 in 1988, what would it be worth in 2016, given that a fully restored MBX50 asking price is around R30K.

My gut feel is that 50cc bikes are bad investments.....

It would be worth what you can sell it for - so maybe R30k....

Are you asking for something else? like what the rate of return is? :)

Edit - ok - 8% compound annual growth - give or take a few fractions of a percent - you would have to compare that against something else - like a property investment or stocks or interest on cash to see if it is good or poor - let me just say it will be better than diamonds though.... :)

PS - NEVER EVER invest in diamonds and expect real growth when you sell them....

Edit the edit.... I changed the % because I made a typo in the calculation - sorry.

http://topforeignstocks.com/2014/01/08/south-africas-ftsejse-all-share-index-returns-by-year/

will give you a relative benchmark to use to calculate the growth using an all share investment.

Edit the edited edit....

I did the calc using the numbers - assuming the full amount is invested, it would be worth 251 thousand plus whatever 2016's return is... so yes, it's a relatively poor investment.

Edited by V12man

I've got one. awesome bike.... After my Duke's 1st service, I drove it back home from the dealership, which is about 130km, I did 190km/ph on the highway, (that's what the speedo said, don't know if its 100% accurate), but it felt like the engine wanted to go faster and faster..

Jeez, yours must be on steroids. I own one too and cant get close to that speed. Awesome, nimble little machine, though. Love mine to bits[emoji106]

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Jeez, yours must be on steroids. I own one too and cant get close to that speed. Awesome, nimble little machine, though. Love mine to bits[emoji106]

I was also surprised about the speed, Always thought if I can get 155km/ph on it, I will be happy. Just my luck, I had a reasonably open highway, and pretty straight, so I thought, what the hell, let me ride it hard. And wow, I was impressed and sh@t scared. . But I must also mention, when I got it back after the service, it seems to have more power. Engine feels looser, don't know if they tweaked it a bit, but it just wanna go whenever I pull the throttle. They also increased my RPM Limits. That also helped a lot.

I was also surprised about the speed, Always thought if I can get 155km/ph on it, I will be happy. Just my luck, I had a reasonably open highway, and pretty straight, so I thought, what the hell, let me ride it hard. And wow, I was impressed and sh@t scared. . But I must also mention, when I got it back after the service, it seems to have more power. Engine feels looser, don't know if they tweaked it a bit, but it just wanna go whenever I pull the throttle. They also increased my RPM Limits. That also helped a lot.

Are you sure yours didn't accidentally get a 690 engine somehow[emoji14]. Mine is on 4000km now and still don't get those speeds, however, it will easily exceed the legal limit, so good enough for me. Had mine down to the coast a couple of weeks ago and it really is built for mountain passes and twisty roads! Had the most fun imaginable on those roads.

Yip, mine is also now on 4300km. Love how nimble it is in traffic. I also want to take it for a nice long Ride. Always rode a Semi-Offroad bike, but with this Duke, i had to learn that i can actually lean into the corners and not fall over, :thumbup:

I will take my GoPro with next time, and see if i can get that speed. What speed do you get out of your Duke?

Guys some help...

Looking for a reflective ( like the think bike ) vest

Also looking for a rain suite overall

44a125e3c9ebea1196412bfe245750ba.jpg

While we are on the topic of the Duke, mine in its natural habitat.

That looks so sexy...

44a125e3c9ebea1196412bfe245750ba.jpg

While we are on the topic of the Duke, mine in its natural habitat.

Where did you buy that tank Bag?

Guys some help...

Looking for a reflective ( like the think bike ) vest

Also looking for a rain suite overall

Most of the new Motorbike Jackets have that Reflective strips in, and are waterproof.

Where did you buy that tank Bag?

Bought it from GPS4Africa in Centurion. The model is a SW-MOTECH Enduro LT if I remember correctly.

I have sent you a pm earlier, but seems like tapatalk is not cooperating.

Bought it from GPS4Africa in Centurion. The model is a SW-MOTECH Enduro LT if I remember correctly.

I have sent you a pm earlier, but seems like tapatalk is not cooperating.

Cool Thanks. Didn't receive any pm's. :w00t: