Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Yip, mine is also now on 4300km. Love how nimble it is in traffic. I also want to take it for a nice long Ride. Always rode a Semi-Offroad bike, but with this Duke, i had to learn that i can actually lean into the corners and not fall over, :thumbup:

I will take my GoPro with next time, and see if i can get that speed. What speed do you get out of your Duke?

I go to 140 relatively quickly and then it starts to take its time. Have seen 150-ish at best. I weigh 85kg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to mod the 390, the pillion seat is useless and it needs a tail tide. I suppose this is a bit of an overkill ... or not ?!

c1d886fea8f83ddc1558c85f38f96f6b.jpg

Bottom right pic

255ec00c7b7b303497b1f2d141c47f58.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got down to doing what I should have done before I started messing with DT's. My 1930's Velocette. All stripped down now so now it's time to check out the frame for cracks and previous damage. So I need to have the parts lightly sandblasted - Frame, wheels, a few other bits and pieces. Can anyone recommend someone in the Pta/Jhb/West Rand area? - They would need to be someone who knows a bit about cosmetic sandblasting, and not your common and garden furniture type

post-15215-0-15663100-1477912806_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-40594000-1477912835_thumb.jpg

Ok so I finally got down to doing what I should have done before I started messing with DT's. My 1930's Velocette. All stripped down now so now it's time to check out the frame for cracks and previous damage. So I need to have the parts lightly sandblasted - Frame, wheels, a few other bits and pieces. Can anyone recommend someone in the Pta/Jhb/West Rand area? - They would need to be someone who knows a bit about cosmetic sandblasting, and not your common and garden furniture type

I have had a bike frame done by these guys - took a bit of persuading, but they did a very nice job using a fine media..

http://www.hpsandblast.co.za/

But why not get it acid dipped first for inspection, then lightly blasted by the powder coater when all repairs are done - this will also clean up the inner tubes, but will need to be carefully neutralized afterwards.

The frame isn't so much of a stress - it's nice and solid 1930's drainpipe. It's the wheels which I'm concerned about - I thought about Acid dip, but on 86year old spokes that's a bit of a worry!

I'm also not going the powdercoating route this time round either - it's ok on normal bikes, but on this bike, I need to get as an original finish as possible and that means good old fashioned enamel paint!

Most of the new Motorbike Jackets have that Reflective strips in, and are waterproof.

Need to get a new jacket then.  Mine had a removable inner that you can remove.  Problem being that the inner keeps every single drop inside, and if you are sweating, it keeps every drop of sweat inside as well.  I have a rain suit that I use as well.  And must say I will rather use the RainSuit on the bike than the jackets inside covers.  The rain suits just works better, and it covers your clothing.  I hate washing my gear in the washing machine, and every single bit of dirt and grime finds a way to stick to your gear.

My brother gave me his rain gear when he moved.  If I am not wrong he got it from Full Throttle.  I still need to find out if I can buy his BMW jacket now that I am thinking of it.  It does not fit in on his KTM...

The frame isn't so much of a stress - it's nice and solid 1930's drainpipe. It's the wheels which I'm concerned about - I thought about Acid dip, but on 86year old spokes that's a bit of a worry!

I'm also not going the powdercoating route this time round either - it's ok on normal bikes, but on this bike, I need to get as an original finish as possible and that means good old fashioned enamel paint!

I would go with a co2 (dry ice) blast on the wheels - that's pretty good at not destroying finishes etc - there are a few local providers around

http://www.cwrmglobal.co.za/dry-ice-cleaning-services.htm - never used them but worth a call

Hmmm - problem #1 - where the hell am I going to find some of these.

Anyone have intimate knowledge of MTB headsets - my guess is that this will be my closest option....

post-15215-0-10926900-1478065030_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-23230600-1478065038_thumb.jpg

Sad day yesterday.  Had to say cheers to my F650GS.  She was kind to me for a few years, but it was time to let her go.

Going to miss the freedom that came with her  :(

• 3 weeks later...

Messed around a bit this weekend with the Scrambler concept I've been thinking about - would be keen to get some opinions - it's really down to the tank and front forks - the original Velocette forks will allow me to use a low mount front mudguard, but I discovered they are bent. I then put in a set of DT125 forks which are better forks, but would then mean I need to mount a hi-rise mudguard - not sure if I like that look to be honest!

post-15215-0-11413200-1479722285_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-86775700-1479722314_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-56719300-1479722360_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-52415600-1479722395_thumb.jpg

I agree on the Red tank - it's off a 70's Honda so got that classic look.

I also prefer the DT forks - they are a bit more meaty than the spaghetti originals so I'll have to think carefully. A clamp might actually work - but I might even have some Aluminium lugs machined out and then have them welded to the fork lowers - i'm never going to use them again on a DT so I have no worries about modifying them.

My brother gave me the keys to his KTM 1190 ADVENTURE R (2016) to make sure that I know how to start the bike, and to get along with it.  Seeing that he is away from SA for about 5 months, then back fro 7 weeks, so the bike must be ridden once or twice.

And I must say this is a beast compared to my old F650GS (2006).  Just the speed alone can make you feel a lot of respect fro that throttle.  Just a little twist of the wrist and you whizz past 100km/h.  And that was not hard riding at all.  At a stage I realized that I was way overspeed to make a 90 degree turn, that said the BMW I had would overshoot and kill you, but the KTM took it in its stride.  The traction control and ABS made me feel like a super hero, with the ability of Mr Knight and the skill set of Mr Cox.

Still miss the GS, but one day that I am older I will get myself a KTM :)