Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Pure 80's - gold, red and black!

There's one languishing here in a used car/bike dealership on the dodgy side of Krugersdorp where our factory is.  Haven't been to look at it, but every morning when I drive past I see it there.  Hasn't moved in over a month.  Looks very, very original too.

Tempting! Although I am after an early CB900F now. That will be the 2017 project. I would like it in blue.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking on the Tree of Gum for a while now. Looking at getting a moto for when my lightie starts going to big school, and I no longer need to drop and fetch (duties pass to the wife) 

As for the style - I REALLY dig the old school XT / XL / XR 500 which are super easy to work on. Not too keen on a sports bike 'cos I'd kill myself (talking 600 / 750 / 1000) and a VFR / RVF / CBR 400 is just too small. Also thinking along the lines of those 80's "street bikes" aka C750F and so on. 

Can't wait, tbh... 

I've been looking on the Tree of Gum for a while now. Looking at getting a moto for when my lightie starts going to big school, and I no longer need to drop and fetch (duties pass to the wife) 

As for the style - I REALLY dig the old school XT / XL / XR 500 which are super easy to work on. Not too keen on a sports bike 'cos I'd kill myself (talking 600 / 750 / 1000) and a VFR / RVF / CBR 400 is just too small. Also thinking along the lines of those 80's "street bikes" aka C750F and so on. 

Can't wait, tbh... 

Beware the depths of that rabbit hole Myles..... :D

There was a poor guy a while back with an old F650 BMW - had been knocked off and needed the money to pay for his medical costs. The bike had fork, wheel and front light/fairing damage. He eventually came down to R11K....

I was so tempted, seeing as I have a complete spare DT200 front end which probably would have bolted right on.

Or this.....

post-15215-0-76334900-1475826488_thumb.jpg

There was a poor guy a while back with an old F650 BMW - had been knocked off and needed the money to pay for his medical costs. The bike had fork, wheel and front light/fairing damage. He eventually came down to R11K....

I was so tempted, seeing as I have a complete spare DT200 front end which probably would have bolted right on.

Or this.....

DROOOOOOL!

That's a BSA Gold Star. 180kph top speed in 1957 means that not many survived :-)

I have a running BSA 250FS (Think its a '68 from all the research i have done), not the most desirable in the range, but its still a classic'ish.

You don't  happen to have any jets for Mikumi carbs hanging around? I have 140-150 and 250, its too rich on the 250 and I think it may be too lean on the 150, probably needs something closer to the 180-200 mark. I've considered drilling the 140, not sure if that's a good idea though.

I have a running BSA 250FS (Think its a '68 from all the research i have done), not the most desirable in the range, but its still a classic'ish.

You don't  happen to have any jets for Mikumi carbs hanging around? I have 140-150 and 250, its too rich on the 250 and I think it may be too lean on the 150, probably needs something closer to the 180-200 mark. I've considered drilling the 140, not sure if that's a good idea though.

I might actually have a 180 somewhere. Let me scratch around this weekend and see....

If I wasn't sourcing parts for this I would....

I have - engine, gearbox, frame (sort of), wheels (DT125), rear suspension (either DT125 or 200), front forks and handlebars.

Need mudguards, seat and tank still.

It's going to upset the purists, but what the hell...

post-15215-0-49674700-1475828181_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-56436600-1475828190_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-14635800-1475828203_thumb.jpg

And apparently it was at a press launch as well......[emoji33]

Well I suppose at least it wasn't his personal bike, BMW will have to write that one off to marketing.

Is there a video of it?

I just want one of these....  with a more modern motor in, but still air cooled.

http://brand.bmw-motorrad.com/en/stories/design/r5-hommage.html

That's my biggest issue with the Scrambler I'm doing - to do it properly, I need to cut an original Velocette frame.  Yes, they were a really bad design, but you chop a good frame and that's one less bike which will be restored...

The other option would be to build a frame, but that's beyond my scope of abilities.  And I can't find any frame builders in SA.

That's my biggest issue with the Scrambler I'm doing - to do it properly, I need to cut an original Velocette frame.  Yes, they were a really bad design, but you chop a good frame and that's one less bike which will be restored...

The other option would be to build a frame, but that's beyond my scope of abilities.  And I can't find any frame builders in SA.

I know a tube frame race car builder.... he is a cyclist.... maybe you can ask him....

I know a tube frame race car builder.... he is a cyclist.... maybe you can ask him....

Think he would build a frame?