Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I have a running BSA 250FS (Think its a '68 from all the research i have done), not the most desirable in the range, but its still a classic'ish.

You don't  happen to have any jets for Mikumi carbs hanging around? I have 140-150 and 250, its too rich on the 250 and I think it may be too lean on the 150, probably needs something closer to the 180-200 mark. I've considered drilling the 140, not sure if that's a good idea though.

You can drill it (if of course you cant get one) I have drilled many in my years on the bench and my keen interest in motors, but to be honest you ideally need access to a lathe otherwise you will most likely end up with a hole bigger than you required. Also use a lot of cutting oil to avoid the swarf from the bit making the hole bigger.

As a rule of thumb jets are basic, its not gas turbine engineering and as an example a 140 jet like you have, will have 1.40mm opening, a 180 jet will have a 1.80 mm opening and so on, of course there are exceptions to all rules but on a carb of this age I can pretty much assure you the engineering is basic.  

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an SR500 done up like an. American Flat tracker the other day. Looked AMAZING. Plus the whole cafe racer thing is a bit too skinny latte, man bun and plaid shirts brigade for me.

That last bit made me laugh! Marketing success for the manufacturers.

I have ordered a ktm duke 390... picking it up today or tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look of those bikes. Not too big but big enough.

I saw an SR500 done up like an. American Flat tracker the other day. Looked AMAZING. Plus the whole cafe racer thing is a bit too skinny latte, man bun and plaid shirts brigade for me.

Have to agree. 

The whole cafe racer thing is great, but it should only be done on select bikes IMO. Seems to be happening to every single bike lately. 

Have to agree. 

The whole cafe racer thing is great, but it should only be done on select bikes IMO. Seems to be happening to every single bike lately. 

A bit like Pallet and Pipe furniture.....

I might actually have a 180 somewhere. Let me scratch around this weekend and see....

Sorry I forgot to get back to you - it's a 280 I have, not a 180.  Think it was out of my 350.

That would be a great base to build something like this:

b7ecf122c5437cfac0e217461d40e951.jpg

570f7af28088c54b51d4f98bf0f6c885.jpg

How much does he want for it...?

Hmm - looks nice, but I can't think its much fun to ride!

We have a guy who does some work for us here from time to time and he drops off his invoices on an Iron Horse chopper that he imported.  He did a lot of research before he brought it in and I asked him if he considered one of the OCC bikes.  he reckons the word behind closed doors is that while they might look brilliant, they are terrible to ride, vibrate so much they crack frames, and handle like a bus.  I didn't quiz him too much on the Iron Horse, but I can't think its that much better tbh

Hmm - looks nice, but I can't think its much fun to ride!

We have a guy who does some work for us here from time to time and he drops off his invoices on an Iron Horse chopper that he imported.  He did a lot of research before he brought it in and I asked him if he considered one of the OCC bikes.  he reckons the word behind closed doors is that while they might look brilliant, they are terrible to ride, vibrate so much they crack frames, and handle like a bus.  I didn't quiz him too much on the Iron Horse, but I can't think its that much better tbh

I would imagine that with a properly shaped seat with a bit of a bum-stop it would ride pretty well. Other than that, it looks to be a Superduke in a bit of a different getup. 

And restoring of 50cc bikes.  I'm waiting for that bubble to burst - it's not going to be long before the word gets out that nostalgia isn't really worth the R25k+ you spent trying to pretend you are 16 again!

Holding the throttle at 100% whilst going 15kph isn't really all it's cracked up to be. 

Holding the throttle at 100% whilst going 15kph isn't really all it's cracked up to be. 

Nope - Interestingly I have been watching the 50cc Forums and the guys are not getting the prices they are asking.  Could also be the sentiment of the bike market at the moment, but I sold my FZ6 for R35K and that's a hell of a lot more bike than a restored RZ50 for R35K.....

Where are all you clever financial people - I bought my MBX50 new in 1988 for R3495 (A number forever etched in my brain because I had to bloody pay it off!) If I had invested R3495 in 1988, what would it be worth in 2016, given that a fully restored MBX50 asking price is around R30K.

My gut feel is that 50cc bikes are bad investments.....

I have ordered a ktm duke 390... picking it up today or tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one. awesome bike....   After my Duke's 1st service, I drove it back home from the dealership, which is about 130km, I did 190km/ph on the highway, (that's what the speedo said, don't know if its 100% accurate), but it felt like the engine wanted to go faster and faster..

Edited by Lexx