Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hmmm - problem #1 - where the hell am I going to find some of these.

Anyone have intimate knowledge of MTB headsets - my guess is that this will be my closest option....

Just had a quick look no bicycle headset bearing in those spec's

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FSA has one which is pretty close - 41.5mm OD but 30.2mm ID - a bit big, but I can always sleeve the steering tube up from 27.4 to 30.2 - a 1.4mm sleeve will be simple to machine.

My concern is how will a bicycle headset handle the extra weight of a motorcycle - even if it only gets used once a year....

Does not sound like a good idea to me  :thumbdown: . Besides the weight you also reach much higher speeds and hits potholes etc with a very heavy and large wheel .

Does not sound like a good idea to me  :thumbdown: . Besides the weight you also reach much higher speeds and hits potholes etc with a very heavy and large wheel .

My feeling exactly.  Although the top speed of a 1930 GTP is only a whopping 60kph :whistling:

FSA has one which is pretty close - 41.5mm OD but 30.2mm ID - a bit big, but I can always sleeve the steering tube up from 27.4 to 30.2 - a 1.4mm sleeve will be simple to machine.

My concern is how will a bicycle headset handle the extra weight of a motorcycle - even if it only gets used once a year....

That could work.

I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution but to to get the bike moving it should work just fine. I can't see any major danger as long at you ride with in the limits and don't push the bike too hard as DH bikes take a pounding.

The only issue I can foresee it the bearings wearing faster due to the reduced ball size. A  roller bearing will help spread the load but not sure if you get in those specs.

To be honest the bike will probably only be used once a year on the DJ - the ride from DBN to JHB - that's a regularity run - ave speed probably around 50kph.  And maybe only once anyway - it's bloody hard work riding a vintage bike with 3-speeds, no rear suspension and dodgy brakes on modern roads....

Other then that - maybe a ride around the block.

But right now, without the bearings, I cant carry on with the restoration!

Just do it. Those original bikes were built using bicycle bits for the most part anyway. A modern bearing should be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, have seen this thread a couple of times and i thought i'll just pop in, friend of mine is selling his Aprilia RSV4 R APRC, if anyone is interested, pop me a message.

You only have to do that once......  and it doesn't have to run real well while they do it either....

My Ducati went through the COR with a bunch of Goldilocks stuffed down each pipe!  Barely made it to the testing station, but it passed with flying colours :whistling:

And in the days when it was almost impossible to pass a COR first time, my Datsun failed on a small oil leak from the gearbox.  I sure as hell wasn't going to remove the gearbox for a small leak, so I drove the car to the testing station to be retested  and a few 100m from the entrance I stopped and drained the gearbox of all the oil.  Breezed through the test second time, although the tester did say that the gearbox was a bit "recalcitrant".  I remember I had to look it up!