D2D 2014

bmw1za

Yesterdays race was my worst race by far. Started in CL but could not keep up with the group on the climb towards Hekpoort. After the turn I caught up with a someone and we got into a nice rhythm together, sharing the workload and pulling each other along nicely and picking up a few strays along the way. After about 20 mins the front group of DL caught up with us, so we merged together. the pace was great. I was aiming for a 3:20 and was well on the way of getting there. At the bottom of the hill just before the second water point i had a blow out. Very disappointed i quickly changed the tube so i can catch next group before they come past. As i put the CO2 into the tube it burst. Now stranded without any more tubes i inspected my tyre properly and found a cut in the side wall about 2 cm long. I then decided thats my race done, picked up my bike and walked up the hill to the water point where i was waiting for the Sweep Car. After about an hour of waiting and helping numerous riders with punctures and loose screws etc, a guy came walking up with a broken off rear deraileur. He offered me one of his tyres as he couldn't continue. I was very unmotivated at that point but thought I should just try finish. Popped the tyre on and was on my way, all alone from the 43km mark. It was about 10:05 and getting hot and the wind was pumping, with no one to hide behind or share the workload.

I am happy to say I finished, official time of 5:10. Very disappointed, but I feel I worked hard for that medal.

I really enjoyed the route. I didnt think it was too tough, and not loads of traffic. Wasnt too happy about the downhill start, i think allot of people will be buying brake pads this week.

Now to go buy new tyres!

Thanks for the help with my handlebar :thumbup: . Good to hear you could at least finish.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race ended for me at just over 90 km mark, One moment I was cruising downhill on tired legs. The next I was in an ambulance , I apparently hit a waterbottle,I have no recollection of the crash.Landed on my face unconsious, Scans, stitches one night in hospital. Lucky nothing broken no damage to the grey matter .Helmet and front shifters scrapped.

Thanks to Kevin who helped me ,saw that my bike was ok etc etc.Even went to medic tent to look for me. I really appreciate it. I now owe somebody the same.

Edit: Forgot to mention ER 24. Werner and ............ Maureen? Thank you.

Edited by Blokman

Race ended for me at just over 90 km mark, One moment I was cruising downhill on tired legs. The next I was in an ambulance , I apparently hit a waterbottle,I have no recollection of the crash.Landed on my face unconsious, Scans, stitches one night in hospital. Lucky nothing broken no damage to the grey matter .Helmet and front shifters scrapped.

Thanks to Kevin who helped me ,saw that my bike was ok etc etc.Even went to medic tent to look for me. I really appreciate it. I now owe somebody the same.

Hi , sorry to hear this .... I think I passed the scene the medics were already attending to you...just after the photographer if I remember correctly. Glad to hear you ok, heal up quick quick.

Apparently I needed a lot more rest after the bronchitus , so technically I rode while still sick . Thank the Lord for that last water point ... I :blush: would have needed an Ambulance

That is scary stuff. We know we're not meant to ride when sick, but don't always feel sick. Glad you're okay.

Must say....I got Powerade and a Coke at the finish. (Drinks was at the medals table 3km after the finishline. )

Lucky you. When we got there, there was only warmish water. A penalty for a poor performance?

Shew, hectic! Glad you are ok.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt the organisation of this race was not up to expected standards.

As a rookie, doing my first 100km + race, I always knew it was going to be a battle. And I must thank the sweeping vehicle for not picking me up after I tried to wave them down after about 75km's. Without you I would have not been able to complete 102km.

It would have been nice to complete the 102km along the scheduled route and cross the finishing line, but instead I found myself at the bottom of the HILL we went down from the start. I'm glad to hear that was not a rookie mistake, but that other people were also misdirected. Actually witnessed it at the 60km split, so were not to surprised when water point/ recovery team drove passed us and said we missed the turn that was about 10km back.

Due to the lack of oxygen in my head I decided the shortest route back to the car would be up the HILL. Made it past the Engen Garage when a fellow cyclist on his way home by car left his wife and bike by the side of the road to give me a lift up the HILL.

After going the distance not passing the finishing line, not having a official time recorded, all due to poor organising makes me feel that I did not get what I paid for.

Hope you recover quickly Blokman.

Dont know what to make of the race...it was my first dome 2 dome so cant compare. Started in CL and manage a 3:00:34, just sad about the 34sec.

Didnt enjoy the downhill start as people where flying down there and yet it was suppose to be a neutral zone. The cars didnt really bug me it was like riding around the cradle.

I feel the end needed signage showing you where to go, must say all and all it was a good day out.

Going through all these comments is quite depressing, I still remember the original dome 2 dome that started at northgate, 116km I think? Anyway seems there are less and less well organized and properly sponsored road races these days? Most of the bigger races have changed sponsors and routes, only think that hasn't changed is the race fees. Anyway well done to all, sounded like a tough ride.

Apologies for the blank one.. It was my first D2D, greeny on the road. The hill at the beginning is not for the inexperienced, loved the little scooter at the beginning to reign the keen beans back.

But my-o-my there were some tedious/bring bits, stretched miles and miles with no references as to where you are or where you're heading. Brilliant training for the mind, and to get to know what your body does on the very long, very flat sections.

Hills with 10km to go were a superior test of strategy (if you knew what was coming) and sheer bloody mindedness to not walk up there.

Price wasn't half bad, race entries are going up (like inflation) so one must expect as such. But only 2 water points? One expects bang for your buck.

Good race. 7.5/10 for difficulty, 2/10 for spectator support/encouragement, 9/10 for organisation.

Dont know what to make of the race...it was my first dome 2 dome so cant compare. Started in CL and manage a 3:00:34, just sad about the 34sec.

Didnt enjoy the downhill start as people where flying down there and yet it was suppose to be a neutral zone. The cars didnt really bug me it was like riding around the cradle.

I feel the end needed signage showing you where to go, must say all and all it was a good day out.

Congrats. That's a great time.