Who else is sick at the moment?

Something I have been struggling with for 5 years now - countless physio and chiro sessions, multiple intra spinal injections... I will go a year pain free, and then one morning wake up in agony and as a result I'm back in physio and off the bike for a month or two. I generally speaking avoid lifting heavy things, and try be carefull with how I twist, sit, etc. For the most part it works - but all it takes is one wrong move and it's kapoet again... for some reason that happenes two weeks ago on a Saturday ride in Jonkers. Was feeling useless on the bike the whole day and then woke up the next morning and I could barely get out of bed!

I know I will have to go for a fusion at some point - but being 26 yrs old I am trying to avoid that - Neurosurgeon recons the best course of action for now is to let my body heal itself... and I agree, not keen on a fusion now!

So I have been struggeling with Lumbar pain on and off over the past 10 years I would say. I finally bite the bullet and went to a Chiropractor. Worst decision of my life.

After the 1st session the pain was so bad I was walking like a hunchback for a week. Went back over and over and every time it got worse. It later effected the middle of my back and Neck. After about 4 sessions I decided to stop it as it was causing more pain than it should

It's been a month now and I finally feel normal again still with the odd pain in the lumbar if I havent been active for a few days.

If I go for a long cycle it seems to open up my Lumbar a lot. When I get lazy and dont cycle for a few days I can feel the pain starting to set in and a general stiffnes in the lower back. 

My advice would be to let your body flex in its own way. If you arent immobile then there is no need to go to them. 

On topic though. I have changed my daily med routine and I have actiually been doing surprisingly well with all the ebola walking around me. I would say that i have phlem that I cough up whle riding but other than that no other simptoms so far (this has been for the past 2 months now)

Edited by MTB-More

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been struggeling with Lumbar pain on and off over the past 10 years I would say. I finally bite the bullet and went to a Chiropractor. Worst decision of my life.

After the 1st session the pain was so bad I was walking like a hunchback for a week. Went back over and over and every time it got worse. It later effected the middle of my back and Neck. After about 4 sessions I decided to stop it as it was causing more pain than it should

It's been a month now and I finally feel normal again still with the odd pain in the lumbar if I havent been active for a few days.

If I go for a long cycle it seems to open up my Lumbar a lot. When I get lazy and dont cycle for a few days I can feel the pain starting to set in and a general stiffnes in the lower back. 

My advice would be to let your body flex in its own way. If you arent immobile then there is no need to go to them. 

On topic though. I have changed my daily med routine and I have actiually been doing surprisingly well with all the ebola walking around me. I would say that i have phlem that I cough up whle riding but other than that no other simptoms so far (this has been for the past 2 months now)

That sucks big time - 10 years is a long time to be struggling with the same issue! 

WRT chiros - I've found some are hacks, others are brilliant. The first chiro I went to also hurt me alot more than she should have - bent my back into all sorts of angles it should not go into. Another guy I went to (Dr. Kobus), can't remember the surname ws absolutely brilliant. He just "alligned my spine", every 6 months or so ad did some dry needling in my left shoulder (gets stiff as a result of the lower back) - and that helped allot, I always felt lighter and less tense after he worked on me.

Physios - also had good and bad ones, but I mostly go to them because my upper back, shoulders, and neck get stiff if I am training alot, basically the explanation is that those muscles compensate and tense up because of the lower back injury. I don't go alot, but I will schedule a few sessions if I am training for something specifically and spending 10hrs or more a week on the bike.

But anyway, back to what you were saying - I also find that when I cycle regularly the lower back pain is lessened to a degree, it's when I stop, or have super long days on an office chair that it tightens up. and hurts. But yeah, core exercise and flexibility is key - just need to stick to the routine of doing exercise specifically for that and it makes a big difference!

What ebola is walking around you?  :eek:

Been off the bike for two weekends now due to a flu that seems to never want to go away! And this is after I even got the flu jab. I guess winter will always pose these challenges :(

Been off the bike for two weekends now due to a flu that seems to never want to go away! And this is after I even got the flu jab. I guess winter will always pose these challenges :(

One thing I've realized is that if its your time to get sick, you'll get sick. No amount of ViralGuards or eating oranges or whatever will stop it. The best you can do is to try avoid sick people, wash your hands often and NO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

I know I will have to go for a fusion at some point - but being 26 yrs old I am trying to avoid that - Neurosurgeon recons the best course of action for now is to let my body heal itself... and I agree, not keen on a fusion now!

Sounds like your neuro is a keeper... Advice like that is invaluable!

A second opinion and two months of a neck brace saved for from a neck fusion a few years ago when a slice-happy neuro wanted to operate the following day...

One thing I've realized is that if its your time to get sick, you'll get sick. No amount of ViralGuards or eating oranges or whatever will stop it. The best you can do is to try avoid sick people, wash your hands often and NO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

Doesn't help when some clown on the plan sneezes on you... that stuff is airborn. I am super careful and have come down with something.

Doesn't help when some clown on the plan sneezes on you... that stuff is airborn. I am super careful and have come down with something.

Planes are disgusting, I have no problem spraying people if they start spluttering at me.

tenor.gif?itemid=7838938

Before big events I usually sit in the open plan office with a buff pulled up to just under my eyes. I don't care what people think.

Before in the past, knowing that I'm days out from a big event, a few morons would literally playfully cough in my direction and then laugh about it. Big joke you see.

Before big events I usually sit in the open plan office with a buff pulled up to just under my eyes. I don't care what people think.

Before in the past, knowing that I'm days out from a big event, a few morons would literally playfully cough in my direction and then laugh about it. Big joke you see.

I swear I would invoice colleagues for entry fee/ accom if they got me sick before a major event, thankfully our office is fairly hardy and know to stay home when sick

I swear I would invoice colleagues for entry fee/ accom if they got me sick before a major event, thankfully our office is fairly hardy and know to stay home when sick

Some people don't get the lifestyle we have. They don't understand the amount of time, effort and money that goes into preparing for something. I do non-stop multiday events , ultra marathons. Its stuff that takes you months to prepare for. Then they cough on you as a joke. Small minds and small world views.

Something I have been struggling with for 5 years now - countless physio and chiro sessions, multiple intra spinal injections... I will go a year pain free, and then one morning wake up in agony and as a result I'm back in physio and off the bike for a month or two. I generally speaking avoid lifting heavy things, and try be carefull with how I twist, sit, etc. For the most part it works - but all it takes is one wrong move and it's kapoet again... for some reason that happenes two weeks ago on a Saturday ride in Jonkers. Was feeling useless on the bike the whole day and then woke up the next morning and I could barely get out of bed!

I had a fusion on my lower back 7 years ago, age then 36, best op I had in my life regarding how much better I am. Just remember, I waited almost a year to get it done and today my left upper leg has only got partial feeling on touch which is a real bummer.

But I agree, 26 is a bit young to have a fusion done. Core exercises are essential and being on the bike as well. I only cycle mtb because of the position I sit in am happy with, if on a road bike I suffer a lot with stiffness as well.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

I had a fusion on my lower back 7 years ago, age then 36, best op I had in my life regarding how much better I am. Just remember, I waited almost a year to get it done and today my left upper leg has only got partial feeling on touch which is a real bummer.

But I agree, 26 is a bit young to have a fusion done. Core exercises are essential and being on the bike as well. I only cycle mtb because of the position I sit in am happy with, if on a road bike I suffer a lot with stiffness as well.

You see it's stories like yours that make it hard for me haha! Lots of people that say fusions were the best thing to happen to them, others tell horror stories.

I am luckily not in the position where I get pinched nerves or pain in my legs - if it gets to that point I will go fusion route. Funny enough at the 2 year mark I said if it gets to 5 years and it's not sorted I will get the fusion, it's been 5 years now! Not better, but not worse - I'll give it another year...

Also only ride mtb. Road is a no no for me...

Edited by I_my_own_bike

You see it's stories like yours that make it hard for me haha! Lots of people that say fusions were the best thing to happen to them, others tell horror stories.

I am luckily not in the position where I get pinched nerves or pain in my legs - if it gets to that point I will go fusion route. Funny enough at the 2 year mark I said if it gets to 5 years and it's not sorted I will get the fusion, it's been 5 years now! Not better, but not worse - I'll give it another year...

Also only ride mtb. Road is a no no for me...

The dr who did my back moved to the Cape area last year, Dr Minette du Preez. If need arises, try to get to see her. She is very capable and a pro in what she does.

The dr who did my back moved to the Cape area last year, Dr Minette du Preez. If need arises, try to get to see her. She is very capable and a pro in what she does.

Thanks for that! I will definitely look her up if the time comes.

Got same thing, 2 weeks no bike, SUCKS.

Tempted to go ride anyway, time to chase this flu away.

Read somewhere on the hub here...that ze Skyborgs pop some Vitamin C daily...amongst other thing....anyways I've been doing the same...and no colds for the last year and a bit.... ;)