Who else is sick at the moment?

Michael Matthews

Riding with a fever is just looking for trouble.Propably better to get him away from the team before he infects the other riders.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end I took 12 days off riding and 4 off work (expensive when self employed selling time by the hour). Back on the bikes I have lost a lot of strength. Low level endurance still ok but I accelerate like a cold diesel engine with the handbrake and sustained high effort is impossible.

Trainingnpeaks CTL dropped from 105 to 70 odd. Was aiming for 120 2 weeks before around pot ....

Being a bit careful ... i can feel the whole system is weaker and I am balancing my paranoia about setting up a long term viral fatigue / overtraining response with my absolutely compulsive need to hurtle down patricks psycho plunge and then bust a lung getting to the top of the fair cape loop.

Echinacae? V2000 multivit, spirulina, and one or two other expensive placebos and snake oil remedies. Garlic around the neck banned by supervisory committee.

Aluta continua ....

Got a cold sore or two :( I feel fine but this is usually an indication that the immune system is under some strain.

Would it be a bad idea to go riding, if it's not a hard strenuous ride?

Got a cold sore or two :( I feel fine but this is usually an indication that the immune system is under some strain.

Would it be a bad idea to go riding, if it's not a hard strenuous ride?

An easy ride shouldn't hurt as long as you pay close attention to how your body is feeling . . .

Sunday morning: Woke up with a terribly sore throat and some congestion.

I coffed it up to the braai we had the night before and maybe some smoke inhalation.

I took a few menthol strepsils with on my ride and boy do they make a difference.

Thinking of taking them permanently on my rides in future.

Sunday eve/Monday morning: Body broke down so badly I could hardly breath.

post nasal drip had me coughing up all kinds of green stuff.

I've been on some sinus meds since and a cough mixture for the flem.

Any of you out there have some natural remedies for this sort of stuff you use?

Trying to prevent the need to run to the drug store every so often.

Advice needed... ride tonight or not.

Man down with a cold last Tuesday. Edit, cold probably brought on by a big weekend on the bike 2 days prior, probably knocking the body too much. Spent two days at home then came back to work but obviously wasn't right.

I'm not 100% yet but feel fine, now a week later. Just hacking up the last of the lovely nastiness at the moment. Nose not really running anymore.

Trans Baviaans is coming up and I'm afraid that I'm going to loose all my gainz if I don't get back on the bike soon. 

Face feels sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly feverish still, but not that you'd really notice.

Tonight's ride is a super slow 30km road ride on MTBs.

What would you do?

Edited by TheJ

• 4 weeks later...

Advice needed... ride tonight or not.

Man down with a cold last Tuesday. Edit, cold probably brought on by a big weekend on the bike 2 days prior, probably knocking the body too much. Spent two days at home then came back to work but obviously wasn't right.

I'm not 100% yet but feel fine, now a week later. Just hacking up the last of the lovely nastiness at the moment. Nose not really running anymore.

Trans Baviaans is coming up and I'm afraid that I'm going to loose all my gainz if I don't get back on the bike soon. 

Face feels sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly feverish still, but not that you'd really notice.

Tonight's ride is a super slow 30km road ride on MTBs.

What would you do?

I wouldn't take any chances exercising if you're not feeling well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly 2 weeks into a upper respiratory infection. Started the Saturday just before Lost City Cycle 4 Cansa. I skipped the race, eventually went to the doc end of last week and the antibiotics is also finished now.

So now I still got the gunk in the throat and cough - staying on warm liquids also but still now it looks like I will be losing my entry for Race For Victory also this Sunday as I doubt I would be back to full health. Being off the bike for 2 weeks I know I lost some fitness etc. so I think racing may just do more harm than good anyway.

Just sucks losing 2 paid for entries...

Been a really bad winter for me as well. First got sick 2 weeks before Maluti with bronchitis, and since then managed to miss a number of races due to constant returning sinus & colds, and the flu at the end of July. Anyone else experienced this as a worse winter (sick wise) than previous years?

Nearly 2 weeks into a upper respiratory infection. Started the Saturday just before Lost City Cycle 4 Cansa. I skipped the race, eventually went to the doc end of last week and the antibiotics is also finished now.

So now I still got the gunk in the throat and cough - staying on warm liquids also but still now it looks like I will be losing my entry for Race For Victory also this Sunday as I doubt I would be back to full health. Being off the bike for 2 weeks I know I lost some fitness etc. so I think racing may just do more harm than good anyway.

Just sucks losing 2 paid for entries...

Hate it when that happens.

Been having a great year with illnesses. By that, I actually mean a lack of. Been noticably sick maybe once. Usually I'm down and out at least 5 times a year. And having done quite a few big events I expected to come down with something after these events when the body was knocked. But the colds didn't come.

Can't stress washing your hands and avoiding to touch your face enough. Not that it probably helps much, but I do pop a daily multivit, slowmag, extra vitamin C, and some Omega 3 capsules every day.

Otherwise, try avoid sick people as far as possible. I have no issues sitting at work with a buff over my mouth/nose if someone is sick. Probably doesn't help much to keep the germs out, but it does give me a little bit of confidence.

We're heading into Autumn now so I'm going to have to start being careful. Working up a sweat on a climb and then chilling on a 20 min descent is asking for trouble.  

So far its been a good year flu & colds wise. I may have had 1, I can't even remember :-)

We're heading into Autumn now so I'm going to have to start being careful. Working up a sweat on a climb and then chilling on a 20 min descent is asking for trouble.  

So far its been a good year flu & colds wise. I may have had 1, I can't even remember :-)

Yip it is this time of the year (and spring) where you really experience the difference between the weather here and SA at the most.  You could have a lovely sunny day and on your ride home in the afternoon you have low lying fog all over the place and riding through that it cools down very quickly.  Since I started cycling here I have learnt rather to have one layer extra on and be slighly warmer than being caught out and getting cold very quickly.

Yip it is this time of the year (and spring) where you really experience the difference between the weather here and SA at the most.  You could have a lovely sunny day and on your ride home in the afternoon you have low lying fog all over the place and riding through that it cools down very quickly.  Since I started cycling here I have learnt rather to have one layer extra on and be slighly warmer than being caught out and getting cold very quickly.

Built up a nice sweat on Sunday afternoon .... cooled down during the decent .... then got drenched in the rain over the last kilometer .....

Did NOT feel well the next morning ... popped lots of Vit C .... thankfully seems to have dodged a bullet.

Been sick for 2 weeks now. Scared I may have picked up TB at work. Ffs. At least I'm losing weight. Corenza is giving me so mucch gastritis I hardly eat.

Edited by PKotze