Who else is sick at the moment?

Good luck to you all. You seem to have it a lot worse than me.

Started feeling semi human again today.

Will still give it the rest of the week to recover.

One of my biggest weakness is not waiting to recover correctly and then taking longer to heal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started coming down with Flu on Friday. Slept most of the weekend sweating on the sofa. On Antibionics now. Feels all the worse cos its been so damn cold since Friday :-(

I can never understand why people take antibiotics when they have the flu?

Let your body do the work.

Like we used to say in the old days: fight the flu and starve a cold

I can never understand why people take antibiotics when they have the flu?

Let your body do the work.

Like we used to say in the old days: fight the flu and starve a cold

Because people want something for the R500 they spend at the GP. And GPs prescribe ab's because thet know their patients will not come back next time if they don't at least have something to show for their visit.

Agree whole heartedly, the flu does not need antibiotics at all.

I was as sick as a dog last week. Took some time off work, stayed in bed for 2 days and bounced back quick.

My brother in Kzn on the other hand, went to the Dr when he got sick and started on ab's.

He was back at the Dr a week later and still man-down.

Me, on the other hand, am ready to get back on my bike

Travelling on the Gautrain you can hear the cold / flu season has started in all earnest this week.  Up to last week it was still only the occasional cough or so, but boy oh boy, this week they are all out in force.

(So I will rather be driving in to work these couple of days before Comrades, trying to minimize exposure. Disappointing to see how many ill people doesn't have basic manners / consideration)

Edited by Pieter-za

I also have the flu, I have always gone to a doctor that use to give me AB's. Tried a new GP yesterday and he said all I need is rest and lots of fluids and I am already starting to feel better.

My wife on the other hand went on Monday to the GP I usually go to, she got AB and still look as sick as she did on Monday

2 Weeks ago I also started getting the flu/cold systems, so I went to the local sister at our Pharmacy, and she gave me a jab with this Echinacea Stuff as well as a B12. The next day I was feeling 100% again.

post-32956-0-05524000-1559193656.png

Edited by Lexx

Travelling on the Gautrain you can hear the cold / flu season has started in all earnest this week.  Up to last week it was still only the occasional cough or so, but boy oh boy, this week they are all out in force.

(So I will rather be driving in to work these couple of days before Comrades, trying to minimize exposure. Disappointing to see how many ill people doesn't have basic manners / consideration)

A couple of days ago I was sitting in the local library here in Spain and I had people sniffing and sneezing on both sides of me!

Hoping it was Hayfever . . . .

What people do not realize is that antibiotics can only treat BACTERIAL infections, where as the common cold is a VIRAL infection. It means that antibiotics cannot treat the common cold, and more often than not, places the patient at further risk. 

Eina, hope you come right soon - it is one of those injuries that tend to stick around for life unfortunately. I also tend to eat tramadol more than I should.

That is the really disappointing  part :thumbdown:  but I suppose we need to play our cards the way they were dealt.

What people do not realize is that antibiotics can only treat BACTERIAL infections, where as the common cold is a VIRAL infection. It means that antibiotics cannot treat the common cold, and more often than not, places the patient at further risk. 

I always thought it (ab) is prescribed for possible for secondary bacterial infections, but it seems to not be applicable: 

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000247.pub3/epdf/full

Authors’ conclusions:

There is no evidence of benefit from antibiotics for the common cold or for persisting acute purulent rhinitis in children or adults.There is evidence that antibiotics cause significant adverse effects in adults when given for the common cold and in all ages when givenfor acute purulent rhinitis. Routine use of antibiotics for these conditions is not recommended 

Edited by Pieter-za

You trust the Doc to give you what you need, when you need it - and not be driven by sales.

We had a lovely Doc in SA, his office was out on Ontdekkers. Wendy had been with him for years.

2 Weeks ago I also started getting the flu/cold systems, so I went to the local sister at our Pharmacy, and she gave me a jab with this Echinacea Stuff as well as a B12. The next day I was feeling 100% again.

This type of stuff seems to work work. I use viral guard especially when exposed to a whole lot of sniffling, sneezing, coughing customers.

As far as anti biotics go, I usually only get those as a result of a chest infection from cold or flu. Not for the cold or flu tho. Doc normally tells me to take efferflu or something.

This type of stuff seems to work work. I use viral guard especially when exposed to a whole lot of sniffling, sneezing, coughing customers.

As far as anti biotics go, I usually only get those as a result of a chest infection from cold or flu. Not for the cold or flu tho. Doc normally tells me to take efferflu or something.

This is where I am now. Burning chest and a heart rate that feels like it going to pop at any moment. 

I haven't felt this bad in a couple of years. But I have a unmissable deadline this Saturday. Hopefully I can get everything done and then go home.