Who else is sick at the moment?

just don't mess around with training and flu.

I thought I was over it the flu on the 15th, raced 120km race on the 17th and ended up with pneumonia after that. Fun and games since then, rhr still over 75 from the usual 45 :ph34r:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the people's immune systems differ. If I get cold or flu it will run for 5-6 days and I will try over the counter pills and feel better for a day or two but the sinuses will kick in thereafter it will be worse until I get  antibiotics. So my Dr has no option but to prescribe AB's.

Happened for the first time lifting a tree (to plant in the garden). I was being impatient and did not wait for the guy helping me - wore plakkies too, and as I was walking tripped and lost my balance, as I corrected to stop myself falling forward the disc went. From there it was silly things like lifting a bicycle onto the bakkie or moving furniture. This specific time it was a power lifting movement - a snatch. I have gone 3 years now without issues, and I am in good shape in the gym, so it was very unexpected - esepcially since it was during warm-up and with very little weight. But that is usually how it happens - because you don't expect it to go at that moment...

Doing snatches with previous back injuries you were looking for ***. It's one exercise I'll also never do again, since my shoulder injury. Which I also happen to dislocate again a few weeks ago. "luckily" i caught the flu, so I can't try to rush recovery.

But I'm at the point of giving up cycling; tennis elbow, ulnar nerve pinching and a messed up shoulder see me off the bike basically since Feb.

Doing snatches with previous back injuries you were looking for ***. It's one exercise I'll also never do again, since my shoulder injury. Which I also happen to dislocate again a few weeks ago. "luckily" i caught the flu, so I can't try to rush recovery.

But I'm at the point of giving up cycling; tennis elbow, ulnar nerve pinching and a messed up shoulder see me off the bike basically since Feb.

just a thought ....

early 90's I was cycling good, fit, prime of my life ..... 1999 I got diagnosed with an aggressive form of arthritis, could barely climb stairs.

Gave up sports, as it hurt too much.  WORST mistake ever !!!  :thumbdown:

Gaining weight and the resulting negative spiral was inevitable .... Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2016.

Started cycling 800m at a time (JIP, less than 1km)  Took weeks to get to 2km rides ... and then weeks of meds due to the arthritic knees .... nearly gave up there .... I needed a total mind shift !!  I wont ever be riding with the "boys" again ....  Had to get granny gears, and make peace with spinning along - MINIMAL force on the joints.  First time I stood on the pedals for 20m I was off the bike for a week !  :eek:   "Recovery" was measured in months and years ....  Almost three years before I got up the nerve to do a 30km ride.  :thumbup:   Last Sunday I did my first 51km ride in decades.  :clap:

I still have to spin a LOT more than others, but I do manage to just hang with the mid-pack riders now.

Moral of the story - if your injuries keeps you from doing a sport ... TRY to stay active, even if it means a mind shift.

Edited by ChrisF

I knew it was a risk... but I built up to it over a few months, and I did not go heavy at all - it was actually meant to increase strength there. And at this point I thought my back was fully recovered (been just short of 3 years since I last hurt it), add to that I recently lost quite a bit of weight and would say I am in the best shape since my bodybuilding days - I thought I was fine. Needless to say, I will not make the mistake again.

It just sucks big time, because power lifting is a great workout, and probably the only thing I enjoy more than mtb.

If I was you I would get in contact with a good biokineticist that cycles, they can do wonders for you. My mom recently had a major shoulder operation (off the bike for 6 months), and is now working with a biolineticist who is helping her immensely. She says she feels the strongest she has in 20 years.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Did a real easy one earlier in the week, and all was good. But kept the heartrate in check.

Still quite snotty with an occasional cough. Take it easy, and watch your heartrate.

Bad news Okes. I made it. You are still stuck with me.

Dammit and that wasn't a little ride either.

#hardehout

Metal note to self (and to everybody else for that matter).

When you are sick, you are sick. Dont try to bulldust yourself into thinking that all is okay, its above the neck.

I felt that I was getting sick last week. But I was determined to do a proper ride on Saturday. I woke up Saturday feeling really under the weather. But I went into robot mode and rode 185km off road.

Got home and I wasnt feeling well at all. But..... on Sunday morning I woke up and felt that spinning the effects of the previous days ride out of the pistons was essential. So, feeling like death warmed up I went and did a 50km ride.

By Sunday evening I knew that I had stuffed up big time.

It cost me a week of being sick and unable to function properly and eventually going on an antibiotic drip. Today for the first time, I feel a bit better.

It isnt worth it, when sick, rest, sort it and then carry on. I really feel as if I have damaged myself with a stupid decision.

Doc has banned me from riding until he says that I am okay to ride again. Seeing him tomorrow so I hope that he gives the go ahead.

Edited by Vetseun

Twins went to crèche on the 1st of April, so since then it's been snot noses and coughing non stop for atleast one member of household. Usually starts with my little girl, 3 days later it'll be her brother, then mommy followed by me. Over the counter stuff seems helpless at the moment but we try and keep ab's to a minimum

Twins went to crèche on the 1st of April, so since then it's been snot noses and coughing non stop for atleast one member of household. Usually starts with my little girl, 3 days later it'll be her brother, then mommy followed by me. Over the counter stuff seems helpless at the moment but we try and keep ab's to a minimum

Good luck bud!

That has been us for the last 6 months.

It gets better  :whistling:

Started on Thursday with a scratch in the throat.Did some indoor on Thursday afternoon. Friday morning a sore throat and burning chest. Friday evening down with pneumonia. This virus is turbo loaded. I've never become so sick so quickly.

Mutant bugs.

I thought I recovered, but currently have a serious post nasal, that makes me cough. not feeling ill, but this is irritating. No cycling the past week-end. 

Fark I hate winter.

Think I need to go into next winter in a bubble boy suit, so I can try and stave off the bugs...

So as with everyone that has small kids, they bring every germ known and unknown to man home from school. My 3.5yo is the only one at school. The twins are 1yo this week and he makes us all sick. We have been struggling for a while now. The one twin especially, it seemed that every time he got a cold it went to his chest. The nurse that does vaccines and our GP said he had brochiolitus a few times. Last week we go to the pead for their 1 year check up. When checking the twin with chest problems he tells us its not brochiolitus but rather some virus(think he called it SRV?). He says it's a nasty virus doing the rounds at the moment that stays in your system for up to 6 months. You don't actually get rid of the bug and continually have the symptoms. My wife was coughing while we were at the paed and he told her she had the same thing. I have also had the symptoms for a while so it seems I also got this virus. The paed was nice enough to give my wife a prescription.

Edited by Long Wheel Base