DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

So am I understanding right what some people are trying to say. ... That if you are older than the normal lot that you shouldn't try to even do something?

I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Even if it means people with criticise my efforts.

I was 26 years old when I learnt the art of pole vaulting. I never even carried a pole before then. I did it for about 2 months and could only clear about 3.5m twice in that time. BUT best is now when I watch it on TV I know about the step count and about the back leg swing and the hand position and it is more to me now than just watching them clear a bar.

Sunday eve I was sitting at the dinner table with Tim, Tim's dad, Tiaan, Garlicky, Pottie and Sam and I can say now they are really an awesome bunch of young okes. Pottie was being teased about his age (27) that he is too old and then I made the comment that I got my 1st bike at his age. Unfortunately I was not put on a bike since the age of 5 and did races since I was 10 like most of the pro's, but it for sure doesn't mean I can't improve anymore. They told me how they improved since they started going overseas. Being older is one thing but growing up in SA alone has its downfalls too, not only for DH riders (as we see at all MTB disciplines).

My mom is 57years old this year. For the 1st time ever she went into water last December where she couldn't stand. (Without a floating device.) I can't say she was 'swimming' because there was no real style to her action, but she stayed head above water. It took loads and loads of encouragement for her to even just get into the water. It seems that if it was up to most people here that they wouldn't even have asked her to join them to the river.

I don't do things because I think I am good at what I do, I do it because I want to be better at it. If what I am now and what I can do now is all I'll be for the rest of my life then what's the use of living further than now?

If I don't reap the results now, who says that what I'm learning now won't benefit me when I'm at sub-vet level? (Or when ever later)....or maybe even when I have a child who would need some guidance.

Sheesh I'm very sorry to see the lack of vision and motivation we have for our fellow South Africans. After last week there I came back with one feeling and it didn't involved me benefitting from it at all. ... it is that I wish I had enough money to just buy big van like a Sprinter which I will leave in EU for the riders to use when they are there for the season. Something where they can lock their bikes in safely and which is also comfortable for say 5 people to travel with. It is very expensive over there and that will make their lives much easier (from all the terrible car/van stories I heard).

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I understanding right what some people are trying to say. ... That if you are older than the normal lot that you shouldn't try to even do something?

I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Even if it means people with criticise my efforts.

I was 26 years old when I learnt the art of pole vaulting. I never even carried a pole before then. I did it for about 2 months and could only clear about 3.5m twice in that time. BUT best is now when I watch it on TV I know about the step count and about the back leg swing and the hand position and it is more to me now than just watching them clear a bar.

Sunday eve I was sitting at the dinner table with Tim, Tim's dad, Tiaan, Garlicky, Pottie and Sam and I can say now they are really an awesome bunch of young okes. Pottie was being teased about his age (27) that he is too old and then I made the comment that I got my 1st bike at his age. Unfortunately I was not put on a bike since the age of 5 and did races since I was 10 like most of the pro's, but it for sure doesn't mean I can't improve anymore. They told me how they improved since they started going overseas. Being older is one thing but growing up in SA alone has its downfalls too, not only for DH riders (as we see at all MTB disciplines).

My mom is 57years old this year. For the 1st time ever she went into water last December where she couldn't stand. (Without a floating device.) I can't say she was 'swimming' because there was no real style to her action, but she stayed head above water. It took loads and loads of encouragement for her to even just get into the water. It seems that if it was up to most people here that they wouldn't even have asked her to join them to the river.

I don't do things because I think I am good at what I do, I do it because I want to be better at it. If what I am now and what I can do now is all I'll be for the rest of my life then what's the use of living further than now?

If I don't reap the results now, who says that what I'm learning now won't benefit me when I'm at sub-vet level? (Or when ever later)....or maybe even when I have a child who would need some guidance.

Sheesh I'm very sorry to see the lack of vision and motivation we have for our fellow South Africans. After last week there I came back with one feeling and it didn't involved me benefitting from it at all. ... it is that I wish I had enough money to just buy big van like a Sprinter which I will leave in EU for the riders to use when they are there for the season. Something where they can lock their bikes in safely and which is also comfortable for say 5 people to travel with. It is very expensive over there and that will make their lives much easier (from all the terrible car/van stories I heard).

Do what you want to. You don't have to justify it to anyone especially fictious people on the internet.

Hope you enjoy Europe. Make time to spend in Czech republic and a summer in Croatia can be unforgettable.

Oktoberfest is in a few months, that can't be missed.

Make sure you get out to Switzerland an ride in Verbier.

lots to do, so little time. Don't waste in on trolls on the internet.

oh tak solace in the knowledge that you're going to kick some serious middle aged male flat butt when you get back

Edited by GoLefty!!

Do you want to compete or do you just want to say that you did it? Because if you are not intending to compete in a world cup race maybe it is better not to do the world cup race and let someone with future potential go in your place. These races are not for fun riding but for serious competitors only.

Do you want to compete or do you just want to say that you did it? Because if you are not intending to compete in a world cup race maybe it is better not to do the world cup race and let someone with future potential go in your place. These races are not for fun riding but for serious competitors only.

As stated earlier you have to fulfill certain minimum requirements to enter. If you do it is open to anyone. And you need to qualify to be in the Race.

Notwithstanding this you try and break someone down? Swak.

No - we are saying what it takes to be at the top of the game - to win a world cup or world champs - and if you can achieve that only through hard work and determination, or do you need to have some inherent ability plus hard work and dedication to get to the top of the game

I find it amazing that no one here questions what anyone's real agenda would be to enter a marathon or any XC stage race but a girl decides to give Downhill a go and suddenly loads of guys have an opinion about wny she is really doing it and telling her she should just stay at home. Would you all say the same things to your kids? No son don't try anything new you'll just look stupid and you'll take up someone else's spot who deserves it more than you. You might get hurt so rather do something normal that all the other kids do like soccer. If you wouldn't give your own kids that advice then why do you think you get to decide why some stranger is really doing something and what they should be doing instead?

I find it amazing that no one here questions what anyone's real agenda would be to enter a marathon or any XC stage race but a girl decides to give Downhill a go and suddenly loads of guys have an opinion about wny she is really doing it and telling her she should just stay at home. Would you all say the same things to your kids? No son don't try anything new you'll just look stupid and you'll take up someone else's spot who deserves it more than you. You might get hurt so rather do something normal that all the other kids do like soccer. If you wouldn't give your own kids that advice then why do you think you get to decide why some stranger is really doing something and what they should be doing instead?

No one here has questioned her choice to ride downhill.

Only her choice to compete at world cup level has been questioned on this thread.

No - we are saying what it takes to be at the top of the game - to win a world cup or world champs - and if you can achieve that only through hard work and determination, or do you need to have some inherent ability plus hard work and dedication to get to the top of the game

hard work is the only common denominator, and should be the only consideration for anyone wishing to achieve anything. anything else is theoretical discourse left to the idle minds of the armchair champs/demotivational experts, who excuse their lack of effort by punting genetics. There's always someone richer, even if by just 1c. Point is, if you want something, get busy grinding at the hard yards. The choice and reason is yours alone. It's not a moral dilemma.

wayne: why shouldn't she try and experience the world cup if she has the opportunity? where's the problem here?

Edited by Capricorn

Only her choice to compete at world cup level has been questioned on this thread.

Okay. But even there I don't see a problem. She had an opportunity and she decided to give it a go and I think that's brave of her. It's not like she's on a motogp track where she's holding up or endangering other riders. Nobody else was inconvenienced by her she just got to experience somethign first hand and measure herself against it. She risked being hurt and mocked and she's received both but she stepped outside her comfort zone and probably grew a little bit from it. Strength to the woman.

Okay. But even there I don't see a problem. She had an opportunity and she decided to give it a go and I think that's brave of her. It's not like she's on a motogp track where she's holding up or endangering other riders. Nobody else was inconvenienced by her she just got to experience somethign first hand and measure herself against it. She risked being hurt and mocked and she's received both but she stepped outside her comfort zone and probably grew a little bit from it. Strength to the woman.

Exactly.

Sorry for editing the rest out.

I am going to be blunt now, I get the impression that whatever we discussed here today you took personal, please don't think that we are always talking about you.

I personally feel to be at the TOP and the very TOP of ANY sport (as our discussion started around Gwin's mad rim run) one has to have an inherited talent and ability, that is why not all of us can be the Minnaars, Bolts ,Phepls ,Suasers and Baumgatners of the world.

In the art world some have better musical talent than others, better voices, a better eye , a better ear........ and the list goes on.

I will never be Ansel Adams, but I still admire his work and strive to better myself because of him.

Now this is not to say that we as humans must simply not do or try stuff, but we do owe it to ourselves to be honest to ourselves.

That is the way I live my life, I know my limitations and I know very well deep inside of me when no matter how much I practice something, it is just not one of my talents, but I very much admire those who rise to the top.

Not just were they blessed and born with great inherited talent and ability, they also had the tenacity, hunger and sheer guts to get the best out of their given talent.

People want to know why we admire the best of the sporting starts, quite simply because we acknowledge and respect the fact that they are the complete package and they played a part on completing that package .

Edited by Wyatt Earp

I don't even think it was questioned , the debate was around giving praise or not.

I wish I had enough money to just buy big van like a Sprinter which I will leave in EU for the riders to use when they are there for the season. Something where they can lock their bikes in safely and which is also comfortable for say 5 people to travel with. It is very expensive over there and that will make their lives much easier (from all the terrible car/van stories I heard).

Now we talking....this is something that Cycling South Africa hould be doing (please stop laughing ya all -why cant it happen?)

Set up a base house somewhere in Europe with facilities where roadies, mtbkrs, triathletes etc...without pro team sponsorhips can stay in the summmer and travel to races.

Should i ever win 1st prize with the euro lotto or something similar I'd seriously consider buying a big house somewhere with that purpose in mind

So... all hold thumbs every friday for me when the euro lotto plays :D

Sorry for editing the rest out.

I am going to be blunt now, I get the impression that whatever we discussed here today you took personal, please don't think that we are always talking about you.

I personally feel to be at the TOP and the very TOP of ANY sport (as our discussion started around Gwin's mad rim run) one has to have an inherited talent and ability, that is why not all of us can be the Minnaars, Bolts ,Phepls ,Suasers and Baumgatners of the world.

In the art world some have better musical talent than others, better voices, a better eye , a better ear........ and the list goes on.

I will never be Ansel Adams, but I still admire his work and strive to better myself because of him.

Now this is not to say that we as humans must simply not do or try stuff, but we do owe it to ourselves to be honest to ourselves.

That is the way I live my life, I know my limitations and I know very well deep inside of me when no matter how much I practice something, it is just not one of my talents, but I very much admire those who rise to the top.

Not just were they blessed and born with great inherited talent and ability, they also had the tenacity, hunger and sheer guts to get the best out of their given talent.

People want to know why we admire the best of the sporting starts, quite simply because we acknowledge and respect the fact that they are the complete package and they played a part on competing that package .

huh...you lost me completely now.

But it is clear you dont understand me also.

Enough said for me now here.

huh...you lost me completely now.

But it is clear you dont understand me also.

Enough said for me now here.

Bottom line, it's not about you.