To Camelbak or Not to Camelbak

CraigCCW

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never leave home without my 10year old lobo. Got every thing. In it chainbreaker, tyre levers, small folding pliers( this fixed a bent tooth on a chainring this weekend), patches, multi-tool,bomb, pump, chain lube. . .

And I also don't like stuff rattling on my bike

Its such a personal preference:

I try to get my bike to carry most things if possible, but on the mountain bike I hate bottles that fall out of holders on hectic descents, mud, crud, pooh, and dust all over the bottle nozzle when drinking, and taking hands off the bar to fiddle the bottle in and out of its cage. Takes too much attention off the trail. Since I drink every 20 minutes, I find using a camelback most convenient.

However, my camel back is very streamlined, it holds 2l of water/juice and has a small pocket for my car key/cash/old cell phone ONLY.

Tried the saddle bag thing, these just break apart after a while with the weight of items in them and the bouncing terrain, so not an option anymore. Taping a tube to the frame looks really crap, and you are never sure if the thing is still hole free after several rides(chafing/shrapnel etc)

I use a 500ml Pro canister in a bottle cage for my: 3x16g bombs, 2xtyre levers, bomb applicator, plug kit, spare derailleur hanger, spare gear cables, power links, and multitool/chainbreaker.

My pockets usually get 3xgels, 4xbaby spuds, 2xspare tubes, bottle of smoove.

Then its race time!

Edited by Li Mu Bai

The camelpak doesn't give u any indication of how much water is left, prefer 2xbottles, 1 tube tapped to bike, wallet with tools in other leaves me 2 pockets for cell phone etc. don't need to carry food as most water tables have snacks these dys.

yes, water tables do also have many stomach bugs too (lots of dusty dirty fingers in those bowls before you get to it)

Used to ride with a Camelbak, no longer. Found I carried too much unnecessary stuff and it made me hot while riding. Now, depending on bike, 2xbottles on frame/seatpost. Multitool, hanger, bombs and adapter in Poppac bag in shirt pocket, 1x Gu on each leg under shorts, drink sachets in shirt pockets, Tube on frame, loaded puncture plug tool on frame. Works for long rides too.

For my coffee shop rides - and everyday use - I use this Camelbak. Carries my brick of a laptop, chargers, camera and lenses, phones, bottle, hip flask, wallet, beanie, Buff, gloves and scarf, iPod, spare tubby and pump…and there's still place for much, much more. Love it. Best bike purchase I've made in many years.

post-1604-0-85687600-1403155379_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Been riding with my Hydrapak since I started riding motorcycle enduros 12 years ago. I am used to it, and its handy if you want to ride to a look out and have a beer with the girlfriend. You can even carry protection in it..... :w00t:

I use Camekbak and bottles depending on the length of the ride and the proximity of rescue.

BUT

I bought my sons one of these each when they first started road riding and I didn't want them to dig food out of their back pockets while riding, especially in crowded races like the Argus. It made so much sense, and now I have 2 of these bags lying around, I'm going to give it a try myself and see how much my mates laugh.

I have one on the MTB and the road bike. Great for carrying USN bars / spares as it's right in front of u and no need to reach behind to grab stuff from 1 of the 3 pockets on ur cycling shirt

Its such a personal preference:

I try to get my bike to carry most things if possible, but on the mountain bike I hate bottles that fall out of holders on hectic descents, mud, crud, pooh, and dust all over the bottle nozzle when drinking, and taking hands off the bar to fiddle the bottle in and out of its cage. Takes too much attention off the trail. Since I drink every 20 minutes, I find using a camelback most convenient.

However, my camel back is very streamlined, it holds 2l of water/juice and has a small pocket for my car key/cash/old cell phone ONLY.

Tried the saddle bag thing, these just break apart after a while with the weight of items in them and the bouncing terrain, so not an option anymore. Taping a tube to the frame looks really crap, and you are never sure if the thing is still hole free after several rides(chafing/shrapnel etc)

I use a 500ml Pro canister in a bottle cage for my: 3x16g bombs, 2xtyre levers, bomb applicator, plug kit, spare derailleur hanger, spare gear cables, power links, and multitool/chainbreaker.

My pockets usually get 3xgels, 4xbaby spuds, 2xspare tubes, bottle of smoove.

Then its race time!

Have to agree with you, taping a tube to the seatpost does look rather crap. not a fan of my saddle bag, but I find that for short rides during the week it is great for keys, cellphone, and a multi-tool.

I am really not a fan of cycling jerseys with pockets at the back, so I think I may have to stick with my Camelbak for races so that I can carry all the "necessary" equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Jersey pockets can only hold so much, before your shirt starts pulling you backwards. Camelbak for the rest...

On long rides around CPT, mountain and road.. Camelbak has place for repair kits, tucked away wind breakers and warmers, cellphone, activity card/bank card, even a pump.. and water.

Anything attached to the bike just creates noise which annoys me beyond belief. Ive even cable tied all my cables together to stop them slapping each other on bumpy sections.

Dude I totally agree with noise coming from your bike. the only thing attached to my bike is a spare tube, taped and not cable tied(cable ties can squeak) and invariably you can perferate the tube when taking off the cable tie. I tape it under my seat so it is completely out of the way and unseen. for any ride longer than 40km I use a camelbak.

I hate knowing that my phone is in my pocket on my back getting sweat on it and baked by the Sun! not good for any smart phone especially when you are running strava or endomondo and its running a bit hotter than usual because of the GPS being on.

Id rather have my phone last than be slightly uncomfortable.

Plus the amount of times I see guys pushing their bikes home because they haven't packed enough spares surely is more uncomfortable than riding with a camelback.

Lately I have had a real dilemma when preparing the night before a race.

I used to pack my spare tube, Co2 bombs, tool, etc in my Camelbak, and then ride with that. Ditch the camelbak , use a bottle to carry a small pump , bombs , repair kit and tool and tape a tube to your seatpost

My past two races I have not used a Camelbak, and I much preferred it. I put a tube in the one bottle holder, Co2 attached to the bottle cage, and everything else in a saddle bag.

I know its a personal preference thing, but I was interested to know what other people are doing when riding their MTB races.

I much preferred not having the Camelback on my back, but I can also carry alot more with me if I use it.

Put your multitool, small pump, bombs and repairkit in a bottle thats in your second bottlecage and tape a spare tube to your seatpost

Usually ride with:

- Bladder + food

- Essentials (spare cleats, screws, master links and small bit of chain, replacement hanger)

- Multi tool

- Cable ties

- Suncream

- Sml 1st Aid kit + super glue

- ID, cards, Drivers

- Phone

- Poc pouch

- Mini Pump

- Shock pump

- Tyre leavers

- Spare tube

- Mini lube

- Bombs & regulator

- Leatherman

- Knee pads

- Mini Duc tape

- Space blanket

- Head torch

- Rain jacket

- Matches

No way that is dragging my jersey down!

Seems like a lot but I've been glad to have a lot of it in emergencies. Also good kit to have if you meet people who have had issues on the trail. Most of it is pretty small and when tucked and strapped nicely into a backpack you hardly notice it.

Have seen guys who take spare pedals, spare rear shock and spare seat post (if they are running a dropper) but that is getting more like moving house than going for a ride!

If you are an expert crasher keep the camelbak. I have had a decent amount of tumbles and would hate for my multitool to get inserted into my spinal column!!! The water Sack is much more comfortable.