Your Last Personal Best. .

IH8MUD

With freds like Strava Opportunist and Hard work vs Talent and most of us on Strava and chasing KOM’s. I started “sinking”

We all train to better our times on a segment and compete with our friend and foe for top 10 or KOM or maybe just best of the bunch and use bears as motivation ext.

We buy new bikes every now and then, get the “new” wheelsize and upgrade everything lighter and what not to be faster.

Use HRM, power meters, interval, strength training and read what Dr. Jeroen Swart and Tim Noaks say. Some desperate souls even start dodgy threads about EPO for the Argus :eek:

BUT

As life goes on and times wears us down

Surely there will come day when your new personal best will be your best/greatest and last personal best.

When time and old bones catch up, and no new bike, wheel set or androgenic supplement will make you perform better or like you used to (on the bike).

You will NEVER ride that time again . . . . (Without the car or the motorized wheel chair)

Anyone reached or passed this point?

Or have Strava not been around long enough?

I’m not pondering at what age it wil be, just the fact that the last personal best will come. How will the realization of it affect one?

What do you think?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeeeesssss man, I was having a perfect day until you posted that utterly depressing thought.

I think we all now it'll come sooner or later (hopefully later) but like our own mortality we try not to think about it.

Sorry! :devil:

But I just have this picture of Old Timer MTB'ers plodding along . . reminiscing about the old days.

Like Cohen the barbarian from Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld.

Sorry! :devil:

But I just have this picture of Old Timer MTB'ers plodding along . . reminiscing about the old days.

Like Cohen the barbarian from Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld.

:thumbup: I'm 28 so luckily (hopefully) not for a while.

Just keep on cycling.......your performance might decrease, it might take longer to complete a race, you might become depressed about your frailty.......but your chances of ending up on the podium increases with age....even taking first palce in your age group.......and this has been statistically proven. SO JUST GO OUT THERE AND ENJOY THE RIDE......!

i will create segments. I'm almost 39 and I think my best years of volleyball was when I was 32years old. Cycling, the best is yet to come before I fade out.

I'm still aiming for a Sub 3 Argus before that day arrives.

Deep stuff

You have just put my fears into words. I am still recovering from being handed my arse on a platter by a 14y old at this weekends' stage race! I am 33years OLDER than him and still fully expect to be able to compete with him. Luckily I have been cycling only 5years so I still have lots of PB's to get...

You have just put my fears into words. I am still recovering from being handed my arse on a platter by a 14y old at this weekends' stage race! I am 33years OLDER than him and still fully expect to be able to compete with him. Luckily I have been cycling only 5years so I still have lots of PB's to get...

Rustig Doc.....cycling is a power-to-weight ratio sport......en op 14 is meeste outjies maar net TRIBBES......and no high density bone material to talk about :-P

The older I get the faster I was ...

:D Ja, ja, and as the time goes by, my earlier Argus times get shorter and shorter and I sommer blame my memory. One of these days I'll have a sub 3 from a few decades ago to my name ;)

I started late so it's cool. Last year I did my best ever loop at SBR. 2:08:30. I am hoping to get under that by en end of this year. I will be 54 at the end of the year so I guess the end must be close.

You want to feel good(depending on your age) - go look at the times for the Argus for the age group +60 and +65.

Gives you hope!

There are times there that 30 year olds long for not so good for their egos.