Your Last Personal Best. .

IH8MUD

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

Edited by pe3nguin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of insight here.

I realized my initial post might have came across a bit "heavy".

Did not intend to hint at the stage were we are old and decrepit nor to cause "gemoeds bek@kking" for the hubbers.

More like Pro, who have been a Pro for a while, and wonder how long he will still be able to be Pro.

Or something like that.

You have just put my fears into words. I am still recovering from being handed my arse on a platter by a 14y old at this weekends' stage race! I am 33years OLDER than him and still fully expect to be able to compete with him. Luckily I have been cycling only 5years so I still have lots of PB's to get...

I can not wait for the day my son leave his old man in the dust . . . . It will be a good day! :clap:

In the meantime . . .

I am just having fun, while still riding as hard as I can. :thumbup:

Edited by IH8MUD

I started late so it's cool. Last year I did my best ever loop at SBR. 2:08:30. I am hoping to get under that by en end of this year. I will be 54 at the end of the year so I guess the end must be close.

There is still hope for me then. 47 this year, with as PB @ SBR od 2:24. Hope to get close to your time soon.

Well done.

I've done my best ave for for a race, never going to better my August or 94.7 time so just train to finish races before the beer sells out now.

I ride for PB's every day!!

But at the end of (nearly) each ride, I am grateful for the privilege that I am still able to do what I love, irrespective of how I performed.

Must admit, there were a few days on the 2012 CPT and on a number of Audax rides that I wondered if there wasn't an easier sport to spend my time on.

With freds like Strava Opportunist and Hard work vs Talent and most of us on Strava and chasing KOM’s. I started “sinking”

We all train to better our times on a segment and compete with our friend and foe for top 10 or KOM or maybe just best of the bunch and use bears as motivation ext.

We buy new bikes every now and then, get the “new” wheelsize and upgrade everything lighter and what not to be faster.

Use HRM, power meters, interval, strength training and read what Dr. Jeroen Swart and Tim Noaks say. Some desperate souls even start dodgy threads about EPO for the Argus :eek:

BUT

As life goes on and times wears us down

Surely there will come day when your new personal best will be your best/greatest and last personal best.

When time and old bones catch up, and no new bike, wheel set or androgenic supplement will make you perform better or like you used to (on the bike).

You will NEVER ride that time again . . . . (Without the car or the motorized wheel chair)

Anyone reached or passed this point?

Or have Strava not been around long enough?

I’m not pondering at what age it wil be, just the fact that the last personal best will come. How will the realization of it affect one?

What do you think?

Very likely that i have done all my PB's. But it doesn't matter at all any more to me.

I sometimes look at them and wonder how i got it in my head to do all that training and to eat rice cakes and chicken salads for so long. PB's werent that big when i peaked i.e. pre-Strava, but i still did some stupidly hard races - more to test endurance rather than PB's.

I think there is an evolution to your riding and its pretty standard and pretty much a repeatable patter.

Road riding - started here. Saw massive improvements and got lots of PB's. Then i got bored and went on to MTB. Epic, Sani etc. Bored with all the long hours and the sheer level of commitment required to ride competitively. Plus age started to catch up. Got in to Free ride and technical MTB stuff. Too risky eventually with too many injuries, and put on too much weight. Now i am going back to Road riding. Its about a 16 year trip.

Now if i have a long night the night before, i skip the race, or go for a ride an hour later.

Depends on your point of view as to whether your PB actually matters. At one time it was huge. Now it is so last year. I ride for the enjoyment.

Nothing like the Saturday morning out on the single track feeling.

Hmm.... life happens while you're chasing your PB's. Hence PB's don't interest me at all. I'm too scared I'll miss something cool along the way. But hey, whatever blows your hair back.

My mental game is to become more clever. Race smarter. Train smarter. Outwit the youngster next to me. Sheer stamina and power of recovery is not everything anymore. Once in a while I will just ride - the S/S is teaching me that. The old competitive streak does not die quickly. I have always competed against myself and thus I don't like the feeling of slacking.

My mental game is to become more clever. Race smarter. Train smarter. Outwit the youngster next to me. Sheer stamina and power of recovery is not everything anymore. Once in a while I will just ride - the S/S is teaching me that. The old competitive streak does not die quickly. I have always competed against myself and thus I don't like the feeling of slacking.

Amen bro!

Ja good luck with that old timer ;)

The guy that finished 1st in the 65yr+ at Ironman's time was good enough to come 2nd in the 18-24year cat ....

The guy that finished 1st in the 65yr+ at Ironman's time was good enough to come 2nd in the 18-24year cat ....

He likely had amazing times when he was younger too.