SANPARKS upgrades announcement re Tokai

tubed

Has anyone considered the "steep" price of the day permit to be an incentive to buy an activity card?

No lets thing about the access fee economy. Is R45 per entry expensive?

For whom is R45 per day expensive?

Do people in that lifestyle bracket MTB?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone considered the "steep" price of the day permit to be an incentive to buy an activity card?

No lets thing about the access fee economy. Is R45 per entry expensive?

For whom is R45 per day expensive?

Do people in that lifestyle bracket MTB?

Let's assume the market can afford a R150 day entry, would it then be considered fair to ask this for access to Tokai.

R45 is my lunch at work for the week

Btw. I still view the activity card as being immense value for money. 450 per year or whatever it is, for unlimited access to the mtb trails during the day and at times during the evening. In a national park. That's less than 10% of the cost of a gym contract. Or 2 coffees per month. One craft beer. For the cost of a SINGLE lunch at groot constantia you've got year round access.

Yes, the R 45 per month is disconnected from the annual cost, but no more than the honesty box system at tygerberg or contermans or steilte, to name a few.

Maybe if you are a keen mountain biker with top end equipment. But remember these same rates are payable by for children. They are also applicable if you want to cycle on the front of Table mountain (where there is now some enforcement), or even if you cycle the loop in the forest below the tar road (but I am not aware of any enforcement there yet).

Paying R135 to cycle along with your two your kids on their 20" and 24" bikes around the loop in lower Tokai is over the top. Especially as you have to drive to the picnic site and pay first to stay legal. Just wait till they try and enforce this...

The rate of increase is way beyond inflation. I can remember paying R15 for a day permit for Tokai, now it is 3 times that.

Remember SANPARKS did not buy the mountain, nor do they pay Rates for that land. The mountain belongs to us, SA Citizens, SANPARKS look after the land for us. So comparing the costs to trails on private land is irrelevant. And the fees are payable only for "activities", like cycling. You can walk, hike or run anywhere on Table Mountain for free. None of the funds goes back to facilities for activities, like MTB trails.

At some point we have to start lobbying for our rights. There are too many inconsistencies in the system if they want enforcement anywhere besides Tokai. First thing we need is a family option. Secondly if the increases this year are over inflation, them some protest is called for!

If you read the article, you will see what all the 50 bar has been allocated for.

Unless I missed it, no mention of mtb trail maintenance anywhere.

On another point: there will be no change in the current permit system in the foreseeable future.

No plans to introduce a day permit purchase facility on the front face of Table Mountain.

So, if you want to ride around Deer Park for the morning, you will need to drive to Tokai for the day permit and drive back to town to go and ride.

Paying R430 to ride once (thinking of an out of towner or tourist) doesn't make sense to me, but that's essentially how it stands at the moment..

Don't shoot me, just passing on the essence of the info I got from SP.

What I find curious is that if SP manage Table Mountain on behalf of the City of Cape Town, why the City has no say in where the money gets spent. Just saying.

R430 a year is cheap considering other activities cost a lot more
it is costing them next to nothing to allow cyclists to Tokai.

Why keep comparing it to other activities and fancy lunches or outings as this is irrelevant....Could just as well compare it to walking or cycling on a public beach, which is free.

Next thing we will hear is that it is fast cheaper than a round of golf......seeing as mtb is the new food why not apply the same fees system Hey!?!?

Maybe if you are a keen mountain biker with top end equipment. But remember these same rates are payable by for children. They are also applicable if you want to cycle on the front of Table mountain (where there is now some enforcement), or even if you cycle the loop in the forest below the tar road (but I am not aware of any enforcement there yet).

Paying R135 to cycle along with your two your kids on their 20" and 24" bikes around the loop in lower Tokai is over the top. Especially as you have to drive to the picnic site and pay first to stay legal. Just wait till they try and enforce this...

The rate of increase is way beyond inflation. I can remember paying R15 for a day permit for Tokai, now it is 3 times that.

Remember SANPARKS did not buy the mountain, nor do they pay Rates for that land. The mountain belongs to us, SA Citizens, SANPARKS look after the land for us. So comparing the costs to trails on private land is irrelevant. And the fees are payable only for "activities", like cycling. You can walk, hike or run anywhere on Table Mountain for free. None of the funds goes back to facilities for activities, like MTB trails.

At some point we have to start lobbying for our rights. There are too many inconsistencies in the system if they want enforcement anywhere besides Tokai. First thing we need is a family option. Secondly if the increases this year are over inflation, them some protest is called for!

I think you are on the right track here, My sense is that the approach with Sanparks has become one of: "lets not irritate or aggravate them" as they have a law enforcement arm and they 'control the park' and maybe they will eventually be kind to us.,

But that is not their primary mandate. They are custodians and stewards - but since they took over, the power has gone to their heads and they have lost touch with the community they serve. Its a long doc below, but I think after this they lost the plot. (underline, bold, italics mine)

TABLE MOUNTAIN COMMITTEE PRESENTS ITS RECOMMENDATIONS

Issued by: Ministry of Environmental Affairs and Tourism

TABLE MOUNTAIN AND PENINSULA ADVISORY COMMITTEE PRESENTS ITS RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE MINISTER OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS AND TOURISM, DR DAWIE DE VILLIERS AND MR KOBUS MEIRING, MINISTER OF FINANCE AND ENVIRONMENT AFFAIRS, WESTERN CAPE

The Table Mountain and Peninsula Advisory Committee, chaired by Prof Brian Huntley, today presented its recommendations on a single statutory management authority for the Cape Peninsula Protected Natural Environment (CPPNE) to Dr Dawie de Villiers, Minister of Environmental Affairs and Tourism and Mr Kobus Meiring, Minister of Finance and Environment Affairs for the Western Cape.

Following considerable public debate and the preparation of reports of several consultants regarding the future management and administration of Table Mountain and the Cape Peninsula, the advisory committee was appointed by Dr de Villiers in June 1995 after consultation with Mr Kobus Meiring. The main objective of this Committee was to advise and make recommendations on the appropriate legal framework to create a single statutory Cape Peninsula Authority for the future management of the CPPNE and/or to advise on any other structure for such management.

Following a consultative and transparent approach, all deliberations of the Committee, with the exception of the first meeting and the final discussions of the last meeting, have been open to the public and the press. A call for submissions was made via the media, and resulted in proposals being received from the Western Cape Provincial Administration, the National Parks Board and the Cape Metropolitan Council. These proposals were presented to the Committee at public meetings held in Cape Town on 12 and 13 September, with a call for comments on these presentations being made for submission to the Committee by 25 September. After in-depth discussions on these proposals at its final meeting on 4 October 1995, a recommendation was approved by the Committee namely that the National Parks Board be appointed as the responsible management authority for the CPPNE.

In drawing up the new legislation for the CPPNE or resulting protected area, the Committee urges that the following issues receive attention:

• Existing levels of local, regional and national funding for the management of the CPPNE must be maintained during the transition phase;
  • There should be strong participation by local civil society in all structures and decision-making processes related to the management of the CPPNE;
  • Legislation must ensure that any future changes in land use within the existing CPPNE be subject to the veto of the new authority;
  • In developing its new management policies and processes, the National Parks Board should take cognisance of all the documentation produced by, and submitted to this Committee;
  • Draft legislation must be open to public scrutiny and comment: and
  • The new legislation should be finalised before the end of 1996 and the National Parks Board should be established in a custodial role as soon as possible.

Dr de Villiers expressed his sincere appreciation for the swift and effective manner in which the Committee performed its duties. Despite the wide range of community and professional representation on the Committee and the divergent opinions amongst its members, a recommendation was approved. Dr de Villiers also stated that the recommendations not only concerns the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, but other government departments and the Western Cape regional government. Consultation with the Western Cape regional government and other affected Ministeries, regarding the proposed legislation will now take place. As soon as a decision has been reached, legislation will be prepared and published for further comments.

ISSUED BY THE MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS AND TOURISM CAPE TOWN 6 OCTOBER 1995

Enquiries: Luise Nicholson Tel: (021) 45 7240 Anna-Marie Roux Tel: (012) 310 3434

@ Mntboy

There has been talks and plans for a route like this for many years, but, sadly, I do not think it is any closer to becoming a reality than it was 5 years ago. It really IS something that will be awesome for Cape Town, but nobody seems to have a way to make it happen. That is why I hope some "conservation dictator" will come along and just decree it. I don't see the "committee" way of doing things ever achieving that dream.

And sadly I have to agree with you there. As awesome as it would be to have that route, it'll probably take Sanparks 10 score years to even think about creating it and another 10 score making it happen.

if SANparks is running the show under the delegation by the city, why can we not lobby the City fathers to redirect SANPARK's approach? Promoting MTBing under the eco tourism porfolio can only help the city's image as major tourist destination. Major cycling names camp in stellies all the time. why not the city bowl and surrounds?

Edited by Capricorn

Every time the word Tokai appears in a topic the handbags come out. R11m does not go far and the picture is far bigger than just mtb ing. If they spend every cent on facilities and personnel to educate the youth about our heritage it would be money very well spent.

it is costing them next to nothing to allow cyclists to Tokai.

Why keep comparing it to other activities and fancy lunches or outings as this is irrelevant....Could just as well compare it to walking or cycling on a public beach, which is free.

Next thing we will hear is that it is fast cheaper than a round of golf......seeing as mtb is the new food why not apply the same fees system Hey!?!?

Well it can be compared to a round of golf. Mtb, like Golf is a recreational activity.

Going to a restaurant is a recreational activity or is just going to the restaurant...? : :ph34r:

Day permits used to cost R10, yes and they cost R10 for nearly 8 years....no inflation was applied.

This was because MTO was managing the land. Being a commericial entity its revenue came from tree feeling and not user groups.

When SANParks took over the revenue stream had to change. WHat SANPArks did was they applied inflation over the period that the permit fee has not been adjusted and also looked at market rates at other parks in other parts of the world.

The difference in other parts of the world is that the Parks Authorities tend to be more interested in talking to their user groups since they realise where the revenue is coming from... i.e. they are more customer focussed.

Problem with user groups in SA is that they are so opposed to each other even at the best of times.....

Just a little info re. the fees for riding in Tokai:

Children under 12 ride for free in Upper Tokai. They don't need a day pass or an activity card. You just have to ride with them. So, don't freak out about how expensive it is to take your little one or 30 minute ride through Fairy Garden. Just take them there. Also, the paths through Lower Tokai are open, for free, for everyone.

Guest Omega Man

Problem with user groups in SA is that they are so opposed to each other even at the best of times.....

Ain't that the truth?

If the MTBer's, walkers, mushroom collectors, runners, horse folk all worked together we could have a very strong voice.

Ain't that the truth?

If the MTBer's, walkers, mushroom collectors, runners, horse folk all worked together we could have a very strong voice.

Joining van Hunk's are you!

:)