Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

for those with just a powertap hub, what would happen once the climbs start? also what do you guys see on the screen while riding, just the course or the course and others who are participating?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a hub and basic trainer then to go faster up a climb you have to increase gearing which in turn will increase wheel speed thus increasing resistance.

On screen you can see yourself and the other guys, their distance ahead or behind you and their power readings as well - so you can see when they're going to pop...

If you have a hub and basic trainer then to go faster up a climb you have to increase gearing which in turn will increase wheel speed thus increasing resistance.

On screen you can see yourself and the other guys, their distance ahead or behind you and their power readings as well - so you can see when they're going to pop...

thanks another question please, how would you know if you have set sufficient resistence on your basic trainer? I mean resistence to the wheel

this sounds helluva exciting compared to just sitting on the trainer all alone listening to musicI wish I can join soon, how data would one need for say a 1 hour race?

@ PowerTap it seems that bluetooth lite with its very low power consumption is the way forward so if one purchased the an Ant+ setup would it be possible to migrate it to a bluetooth setup at a later stage ?

Edit: directed question at PowerTap.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

thanks another question please, how would you know if you have set sufficient resistence on your basic trainer? I mean resistence to the wheel

CycleOps have already thought of that, they have a Clutch Knob system here is some more info:

@ PowerTap it seems that bluetooth lite with its very low power consumption is the way forward so if one purchased the an Ant+ setup would it be possible to migrate it to a bluetooth setup at a later stage ?

Edit: directed question at PowerTap.

yes it will be possible but just wont be the cheapest option as we would need to sell you a new RU, the entire resistance unit. and to be perfectly honest with you i don't see BLE being the standard for at least 18 months if not longer, ANT+ is still the main frequency in cycling today its only now that the tablet manufactures have preferred to go BLE over ANT that is has made its way into this level of cycling equipment.

i also know there is a company that can convert ANT+ to BLE however this is still rather costly over time these costs will come down.

the biggest reason for CycleOps offering either a BLE or ANT+ option is that some of the "older" technology will only work on ANT+ however the newer tech will work on both ANT+ and BLE. take Samsung as an example they have now included ANT+ into their 2014 high end tablets and smart phones as well as BLE

personal preference at the end of the day and buying which ever suites your technology right now. CycleOps will always have an upgrade path for their product.

btw. another huge thanks to you for the copying of the routes from your hard drive to mine. :thumbup: :thumbup:

( have not used it yet , telkom is what it is..... :thumbdown: )

Only a pleasure bud!