BikeJacking in Tokai

Meezo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOOKS LIKE IF YOU WANT TO GO HOME TO YOUR FAMILY THIS IS GOING TO END UP THE ONLY OPTION :eek:

Its like the rule of the Wild. We need to Roam and hunt in packs. :ph34r:

Hi All, thanks for posting Meezo.

It happened @5.20 on Zwaanswyk rd, coming from Tokai Circle.

I noticed the supicious toyota earlier in my ride, coming out of the residential area just passed Blue Route Centre before the garage.4 people in vehicle. When they turned left at tokai circle direction ou kaapse weg, I though I was in the clear to go and do some intervals up Zwaanswyk.

On that dark stretch of road after the entrance to the residentail complexes, before the left turn up Zwaanswyk, the vehicle was next to me, and bumped me off the road.I jumped clear off the bike. No lights, no number plate

One guy jumped out, threatened to shoot me, had his hand behind his back as to pull out gun. I did not see the gun, but I was not gonna challenge him (something my psychologist needs to sort out).

Anyways, other guy jumped out of car, climbed on bike and rode off. One was pulling cell etc out of my pockets, driver stayed in car, woman also jumped out of car and searched me.

Very harrowing experience.

Thanks to cyclists that stopped to assist.

Before careful out there.

Email Cash Crusaders info and pics of stolen items and they will send it to all their branches http://t.co/zcsQihBC1O

Edited by rtfm

Crazy and sad. Glad you're okay. Truth is that we are easy targets, it take a few seconds on a empty road or track for some one to relieve us of our rides.

I wish I knew what the answer was. I'm not going all gung-ho 'take up arms' here but the fact is that the crims know we are soft targets. We're constantly told to give everything away when accosted as nothing material is worth it and it's not, but having had discussions with people in the townships they know that fact and it's a pretty simple equation for them. As is coming back 3 months later after a crowbar-ing cos by that time everything they took has been replaced by the insurance claim.

I tend to ride road in 2 or more (not consciously for safety) and on the front of the mtn I tend to ride alone (kinda stupid). I do ride with pepper spray but have never had an incident or felt concerned but it's happening here alot.

SAPS has to target where these stolen bikes are going to to and who is making the demand for such things. That BMC is weapon, where do they shift that, even if it's stripped down. If you dry up demand or make the act of gaining them less attractive (effective tracking maybe?) it will reduce the occurrence.

Let me guess....riding alone by any chance.... The Gopro footage the last time should have been the hint but ok :(

sorry to hear. I was the victum on wednesday but was alot more violent. Hit on the head with a chain then the face with a bat. They took my bike too. Thank God you alive and no broken bones cause they dont care about you. I pray you and be both get our bikes back.....but truthfully what then???

Let me guess....riding alone by any chance.... The Gopro footage the last time should have been the hint but ok :(

So we shouldn't ride alone anywhere ever, not even on the road in a residential area?

Yep you are right they have won...

a bit harsh? Not everyone has the option to ride with others, also, while we need to mindful, we cannot live in fear.

There are cameras installed between Tokai circle and the forest. The crime watch in the area monitor them. They could track them back to their home. Get hold of BKM crime watch.

Dont think this is all tik driven. People dont have jobs and some are just lazy. There is a market for these bikes and they know what to go for. Have not seen one cheap bike on The Hub that's been stolen.

Dont think this is all tik driven. People dont have jobs and some are just lazy. There is a market for these bikes and they know what to go for. Have not seen one cheap bike on The Hub that's been stolen.

You might need to reassess that perspective because its getting worse. way worse. This from the 2012/2013 report on the Policing Needs and Priorities for the Western Cape (underlining for emphasis my own):

Crimes dependent on police action for detection also increased by 7,3% in 2011/12. Drug-related crimes increased by 9.2%. The Western Cape accounts for 44% of drug-related crimes in South Africa with a crime ratio of 1457.5 which is four times higer than the national average (348.5). Mitchell's Plain is the highest with 5850 reported cased in 2011/12. Manenberg, Delft, Bishop Lavis, Kleinvlei, Kraaifontein, Nyanga, Elsies River and Cape Town Central are among the top ten (10) drug hotspots in the country.

ROOT CAUSES OF CRIME

Substance abuse

Most of the respondents identified substance abuse as a major contributor and a

motivator to crime in their areas. Substance abuse refers to drugs and alcohol abuse.

Substance abuse was also identified as a priority crime in the identification of the PNPs

for the period 2011/12. Alcohol consumption in certain circumstances directly increases

the risk of criminal behaviour and leads to increased aggression. These lead to high

incidences of assault, rape, robberies and domestic violence. Criminal assaults tend to

cluster around licenced premises which have high rates of violence.

Drug Abuse and the need for money leads to increased drug trafficking and

involvement in gangs thus expanding their criminal activities. Many individuals who are

drug dependent usually commit higher rates of property crime to fund their addiction.

In some cases competition among drug markets prompts them to engage in violence

toward each other. The issue of substance abuse is confirmed by the released crime

statistics for 2011/12 financial year. Drug related crimes and driving under the influence

of drugs and alcohol which increased by 9% and 2% respectively.

Furthermore, robbery with aggravating circumstances increased with 13%.

Edited by Capricorn

To add to what Cap says.. The guys that are lazy just turn to crime in their own areas. They simply sit or stand on the side of the road all day, doing sweet FA.

The guys looking outside if their areas are doing so to get extra income for that particular thing - tik. You underestimate the effect it is having down here.