BikeJacking in Tokai

Meezo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Deon (Pain or Shine) said yesterday - Tik is an IMMENSE problem, and the crime moves all over the place - we're "easy pickings" - especially when we've got these big ass million lumen lights on our bars, and can't really fight back whilst riding (not that you'd want to fight back against a gun-toting tik-infused maniac - FLIP it, it's like gumi-berry juice to them)

Until the pro-active policing picks up, it's going to remain a problem. At the moment, the policing is pretty re-active.

But yeah - perhaps we just complain about it more, 'cos we're not used to the levels of crime that everyone else has in JHB, Durbs and so on. But it's still not cool...

Lot more people with bicycles in CPT then anywhere in this country i think.. especially western cape ..just have to look at classifieds to see this..

Alot of it is common tik theft but im pretty sure the big boys have based there operations there..... !

Drugs contribute to the problem. I believe that law enforcement must become more serious about the way in which it deals with cases. There must be more police around. The law at the moment is a joke and if you speak to anyone from a ghetto area they will tell you what is the law gonna do? Now with that attitude its no wonder crime is rocketing

To add to that the penalty if or when you get caught does not fit the crimes . A rapist get 5 years , a tax evader gets 10 years (unless you black and work in the govermunt then you ok ) .

Glad to hear you ok .

Hi All, thanks for posting Meezo.

It happened @5.20 on Zwaanswyk rd, coming from Tokai Circle.

I noticed the supicious toyota earlier in my ride, coming out of the residential area just passed Blue Route Centre before the garage.4 people in vehicle. When they turned left at tokai circle direction ou kaapse weg, I though I was in the clear to go and do some intervals up Zwaanswyk.

On that dark stretch of road after the entrance to the residentail complexes, before the left turn up Zwaanswyk, the vehicle was next to me, and bumped me off the road.I jumped clear off the bike. No lights, no number plate

One guy jumped out, threatened to shoot me, had his hand behind his back as to pull out gun. I did not see the gun, but I was not gonna challenge him (something my psychologist needs to sort out).

Anyways, other guy jumped out of car, climbed on bike and rode off. One was pulling cell etc out of my pockets, driver stayed in car, woman also jumped out of car and searched me.

Very harrowing experience.

Thanks to cyclists that stopped to assist.

Before careful out there.

Actually in Zwaanswyk road? There are normally a few security vehicles around there at pretty much most times of day and night.

By the sounds of it they were cruising around looking for any kind of gap and you were unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Its almost laughable that these guys can drive around with no number plates knowing they will almost certainly not get stopped for it.

Hopefully they get caught and you get your bike back (or you are insured) and this incident doesn't chew away at you.

every time i read stories like i think to myself, since the cycling community is so beeeeg there must be a couple of cops who cycle(they cant all eat take out) SAPS used to have a strong cycling team,,,many many moons ago

but surely there must be a couple sitting back thinking we must get this *** to end

EX SAPS, I will most probably be cast out for my statement. I FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. We cycle as a team of not less than 3. and yes we all pack HEAT. I WILL DEFEND MYSELF AND MATES TILL THE END. YES I AM TRAINED IN CLOSE COMBAT/S.W.A.T. Long live the cyclist, and bugger the criminal.

EX SAPS, I will most probably be cast out for my statement. I FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. We cycle as a team of not less than 3. and yes we all pack HEAT. I WILL DEFEND MYSELF AND MATES TILL THE END. YES I AM TRAINED IN CLOSE COMBAT/S.W.A.T. Long live the cyclist, and bugger the criminal.

Good on you . As long as we are seen as easy targets thats what we will be !!!

LOOKS LIKE IF YOU WANT TO GO HOME TO YOUR FAMILY THIS IS GOING TO END UP THE ONLY OPTION :eek:

Actually in Zwaanswyk road? There are normally a few security vehicles around there at pretty much most times of day and night.

By the sounds of it they were cruising around looking for any kind of gap and you were unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Its almost laughable that these guys can drive around with no number plates knowing they will almost certainly not get stopped for it.

Hopefully they get caught and you get your bike back (or you are insured) and this incident doesn't chew away at you.

was thinking the same thing, on all the occasions I've been there - I've seen them - think they're called "mountain men" - there are also cameras in the area, no potential footage? Would be pretty dark though.