Sani2c 2015

Gringo

My first Sani, and I have to say what a well organised event it is.

Sure, the clothing looked better in previous years, but that's not why I entered.

I entered to experience the gees. I got it.

I entered to ride awesome trails. I got it.

My only gripe (and there is only one) was the finish.

Expecting okes to carry their boxes to the car which was (in our case) about 3km away, because we couldn't find closer parking, was a bit k@k.

But that aside... Would I do it again? Absolutely yes.

Nice one StevieL!!!

I'll see you there next year on your old Anthem!

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started with huge expectations for my first sani2c . The hype lead me to expect single track from heaven that would help me find Nirvana.

Preconceived ideas were my biggest problem ( and my sore butt) One of the emails from farmer Glen said that their tracks are laid down by the cows - I should have paid attention COWS DON'T RIDE BIKES!, they don't need berms and beautiful cambers.

My partner told me to shut up and stop comparing the trails to what we ride. Look around at the scenery - she was right it was spectacular.

The best part though was the people. To all the guys who helped us - the broken dropper post at the start. The guys and girls who gave me water on nandos hill and just the general banter - Thank you for a special 3 days.

I don't really care about the clothing and don't understand all the hype about a goody bag....I'm there to ride my bike on some awesome track....as long as that has not been compromised I'm happy

PAH I care about the kit and it was ***  :thumbdown:

But the ride was awesome!  :clap:

Was our first Sani. Enjoyed it thoroughly. My wife and I came in 8th overall in the mixed. Chuffed with that. Our GPS went haywire in the cane fields - I'm sure a lot of guys got lost in there. not technical at all but was surprised how many people can't ride switchbacks and single track - and this from riders in A and B. I guess the folks from the WC are generally better skilled due to our trails.

Was our first Sani. Enjoyed it thoroughly. My wife and I came in 8th overall in the mixed. Chuffed with that. Our GPS went haywire in the cane fields - I'm sure a lot of guys got lost in there. not technical at all but was surprised how many people can't ride switchbacks and single track - and this from riders in A and B. I guess the folks from the WC are generally better skilled due to our trails.

Right you are ;) .......just quoting you to get a proper late Friday fight started..... :ph34r:

Haha - just an observation. Was held up terribly and the amount of falls and stops for rocks etc was just annoying. Or perhaps I'm generalising...

That said I think the difficulty of some of the WC trails forces riders to up their game and skill set.

Haha - just an observation. Was held up terribly and the amount of falls and stops for rocks etc was just annoying. Or perhaps I'm generalising...

That said I think the difficulty of some of the WC trails forces riders to up their game and skill set.

Rocks... Sani does not have rocks.... its a roadie ride...

Aaron it depends where people ride. Same as cape town some mtbikers do races but havent ridden hoogekraal or welvanpas. I moved to jhb from ct in feb and i promise you Avianto, thaba trails and heia safari are technical too.

Aaron it depends where people ride. Same as cape town some mtbikers do races but havent ridden hoogekraal or welvanpas. I moved to jhb from ct in feb and i promise you Avianto, thaba trails and heia safari are technical too.

i can vouch for Thaba trails, did SA CHAMPS XCO there last year & Even I was taking the chicken runs.

Spent all 3 days in Group C (Trail). Can't say the skill levels of the other riders were really an issue. Sure there were times where you queued a bit behind slower riders, but these things happen in mass participation events and the pace was always at least semi-fast ????

dont lump us kzners in that ...its mainly people from gautenaleng doing the sani...that said, My first year I did the trail and the skill level between the trail and the race is noticeable 

Rocks... Sani does not have rocks.... its a roadie ride...

yip...when you can ride it on a cyclocross bike that usually gives it away

I started with huge expectations for my first sani2c . The hype lead me to expect single track from heaven that would help me find Nirvana.

Preconceived ideas were my biggest problem ( and my sore butt)

Agree 100%. This was my second Sani. Enjoyed it much more than the 1st time 2 years ago because A - I had realistic expectations and did not only have the massive hype to go on and B - having done a few other stage races since my first Sani I now have better appreciation for how well run this massive event actually is.

To those okes who do this race year after year and now start to complain about petty crap I that is not as it were in the old days, you need a bit of perspective...

My first Sani, and I have to say what a well organised event it is.

Sure, the clothing looked better in previous years, but that's not why I entered.

I entered to experience the gees. I got it.

I entered to ride awesome trails. I got it.

My only gripe (and there is only one) was the finish.

Expecting okes to carry their boxes to the car which was (in our case) about 3km away, because we couldn't find closer parking, was a bit k@k.

But that aside... Would I do it again? Absolutely yes.

Echo this....the end was a bit of a let down as well...but did not detract from the overall great experience!

I got PLENTY of footage of riders not making the water crossing...that was entertaining as hell!!

As for the race losing its lustre....this will probably come after many years only and with so many new events popping up....there will always be a new adventure to try! But for me...the Sani will stay special for many years to come...

This is so true... it was also a slight irritation to me not being able to FULLY experience the fast, flowing...let me repeat FAST FLOWING...singletrack. Those trails were build for fast riding!! Certain sections which was open in front of me...I could not resist the occassional "whoop" or three!! (Insert slightly embarrassed partner here..).

As an aside...

I wonder what the hospital tally was in the end?

With the rapid expansion of the sport...the lack of basic skill was quite evident...

I understand that hillcrest hospital was pretty busy yesterday with mainly collar bone related injuries with riders from the race.

Archived