No Daryl Impey for Tour de France - Positive Test Result

shifter

impey wasn't a overnight yellow jersey success in TdF, he was riding very well in 2009 when he was taken out in the last stage of the tour of Turkey while in yellow. i think he suffered one or two broken bones and was out of cycling for a long period. what is strange is that he tested negative at SA's a few days after the TT positive test. he still has his back to the wall though.

Glow time for said substance is reported to be 6-8 hours.... so no, not strange and not a defense

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

impey wasn't a overnight yellow jersey success in TdF, he was riding very well in 2009 when he was taken out in the last stage of the tour of Turkey while in yellow. i think he suffered one or two broken bones and was out of cycling for a long period. what is strange is that he tested negative at SA's a few days after the TT positive test. he still has his back to the wall though.

You didn't read the thread from start to end hmmm?

Whats the hubbers thought on this paragraph in the Dailymaverick article that was posted earlier?

Impey claims that he had “no prior knowledge of Probenecid”. The drug is so commonly used as a masking agent, and has been used in this capacity for so long, that this is sort of like Impey claiming that he has “no prior knowledge of mountain bikes”. It’s like Jacob Zuma claiming that he doesn’t know what “corruption” means. Drugs tend to have big, complicated names—Probenicid has four syllables—so this sort of “I was using what?” defence can occasionally fool the credulous. But no. Probenecid is cycling’s baby aspirin.

Is Probenecid really this well-known? I have never heard of it but then I'm no pro-cyclist..

not sure if this link has been posted yet....

http://www.iol.co.za...12#.U7afofmSwqS

Yah, with respect, I dont quite figure what "been a great guy" has to do with it but then maybe I am just jaded.

Anyway, I will be following the outcome with interest, if only to see if there is consistency in sanctioning, 'Berto claimed tainted food and got nailed to the cross, Rogers claimed tainted food and got off scott free, Mr Impey it appears, has also claimed tainted food,... I am keen to hear the outcome.

Yah, with respect, I dont quite figure what "been a great guy" has to do with it but then maybe I am just jaded.

Anyway, I will be following the outcome with interest, if only to see if there is consistency in sanctioning, 'Berto claimed tainted food and got nailed to the cross, Rogers claimed tainted food and got off scott free, Mr Impey it appears, has also claimed tainted food,... I am keen to hear the outcome.

With you grumpy

Cant say I like the article to be honest, not neutral at all...there is a subtle undertone of what a great guy he is, what a fighter he is because of various setbacks(and I am sure he is all of that), SA pride blah blah blah.....should we now overlook that he tested positive and believe his "protestations of innocence" because lets face it...this isn't the first pro and it won't be the last, hence the reluctance to believe anything he says.

He will get his day to prove his innocence but lets be honest with ourselves...based on his initial statement and comments from his father...the outlook is quite grim.

Edited by rouxtjie

unfortunately, kevin and impey are mates, so the article is far from objective

Whats the hubbers thought on this paragraph in the Dailymaverick article that was posted earlier?

Impey claims that he had “no prior knowledge of Probenecid”. The drug is so commonly used as a masking agent, and has been used in this capacity for so long, that this is sort of like Impey claiming that he has “no prior knowledge of mountain bikes”. It’s like Jacob Zuma claiming that he doesn’t know what “corruption” means. Drugs tend to have big, complicated names—Probenicid has four syllables—so this sort of “I was using what?” defence can occasionally fool the credulous. But no. Probenecid is cycling’s baby aspirin.

Is Probenecid really this well-known? I have never heard of it but then I'm no pro-cyclist..

I don't think its that well known, after years of reading about dopers getting suspended for various substances, this name has never came up before. But that said, I think that playing the "ignorance" card just doesn't seem good enough from a professional cyclist.

I think that it is part of your job description as any professional (be it an athlete, lawyer, doctor etc.) to keep up with any relevant and current issues relating to your profession, and doping IS relevant to cycling. One expects a pro cyclist in this day and age to be very well educated in terms of banned substances out there as well as which of these substances could be present in any food, medicine or ointments that you use/consume. Much in the same way that I expect my Lawyer to keep informed about recent changes in laws, my Doctor to keep up with advancements in new treatments and that we expect Engineers to be informed about recent changes in design standards...

As sorry as I feel for Impey, that stuff could have only gotten into his system (deliberately or not) through his mouth or as an injection of some sort. As a pro cyclist with the biological passport etc. that they are subjected to, not being aware that firstly, a seemingly well known drug is illegal, and secondly that you cannot explain how it would have entered your body seems very strange.

Could somebody please summarize the last 32 pages for me? ;)

If you want to win or win a stage of the TDF you need to dope, especially if you from Afrika and if you do get caught dont be like Lance

Could somebody please summarize the last 32 pages for me? ;)

DImpey is

a) a doper

b) clean but someone made a whoopsie

c) a) but able to fool everyone that he's b)

d) b) but unable to prove he is not a)

You can't tell me the team managers and team mates don't know about it or aren't doing it themselves. So I think it's fair to punish the whole team. But I think we will be shocked when in 5 years there are no teams left that are allowed to compete.

Agree with Robbie Hunter who said "It's a stuff-up.....no way Daryl would risk his career and new 3 year OGE contract by doipng for local TT Champs"

Agree with Robbie Hunter who said "It's a stuff-up.....no way Daryl would risk his career and new 3 year OGE contract by doipng for local TT Champs"

Pfft. Robbie...