Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

This is a Twitter update from Stephen K (the other Beard): "Been plagued with puking & a knee injury from day one, and chest infection seems to be getting worse - can hardly breathe, so walking a lot"

Hope he recovers quickly so that he and Dirt-rider can pick up a bit of speed.

Rhodes cut-off is 8 days.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how we can see the tracks the guys rode yesterday (if at all possible)?

Does anyone know how we can see the tracks the guys rode yesterday (if at all possible)?

It seems to clear each day. The graph at the top starts at midnight too.

dirt-rider on his own today. The other beard is sick and having a recovery day. He seems to be battling with the nav, but he is not on his own in this respect. I hope that he chooses the right tyre tracks to follow!

It will be to his advantage if it starts snowing. Tyre tracks will be much clearer!

Thx for the updates here ... It's frustrating to not be able to see the trackers from the office. Only Twitter and the occational hub update to follow the progress. Hope he's not making too many squiggles today. Go Dirtrider!!!

Hope the ginger beard feel better soon. After all they've been through, it must be such a disappointment to have to take a day off :( 

Thick mist plagued the trail early this morning, creating havoc with guys navigating their way out of support stations - Masakala for example has some interesting squiggles.

Dirt-rider has done about 25kms more than he should have today due to getting lost. He's about 5kms from Malekholonyane. He rode alone today.

The Crazy German has arrived in Vuvu.

Dirty would have enjoyed the drop off the Mparane ridge. Tomorrow is a big day for him navigationwise. Black Fountain should be fun :)

Any news on the Gingerbeard? I can't find his tracker?

Dirty would have enjoyed the drop off the Mparane ridge. Tomorrow is a big day for him navigationwise. Black Fountain should be fun :)

Any news on the Gingerbeard? I can't find his tracker?

Ginger beard has unfortunately had to bail out due to a chest infection.

Ginger beard has unfortunately had to bail out due to a chest infection.

Thx. So sorry to hear that - must have been a very hard decision after all that they've been through :(  

A couple of talking points from my side:

(with all due respect I think its been a 'quiet' race so far, things seem highly organised and while two bearded okes wandering around is entertaining, below represents for me some exceptional riding)

the first real moves of 2015:

"Arno and Eddie. At a time when most people would be thinking of a shower, food and a warm bed (18h50) these two have decided to take on Lehana (Pass), in The Dark…"

"Arno Eddie got to container just before 4am"

Given the conditions,very very cold, they are two seriously tough and confident okes.They would have crossed over the Berg at about 2900m in the dark after having been on the go for about 18 hours or so,its unlikely that they would have been able to stop due to the extreme cold, so they just kept pushing on. Respect Eddie and Arno.

Talking point 2:

Its not a nice thing when a penalty is imposed for rule 6, it means something that happened which should not have - I am more interested in the way it was handled. 

First of all it was the fellow competitors who called it offside - thats the way it should be, we all step out of line sometimes, hopefully someone has the courage to say to us thats not good enough.

Secondly to the race office: Glenn is in his first year in charge and while David has the gravitas of someone you dont want to mess with, Glenn doesn't come across as one you be afraid of - a gentleman is more the description which comes to mind. But kudos to Glenn, he made sure the right thing was done - well handled Glenn.

Thirdly to Francois and Neil - from what I can see Francois didnt drop lip as is so often the case in SA cycling, he took his penalty, apologised and most of all he got back on his bike and in the spirit of the race - he and Neil made serious tracks.

"Neil and Francois started their day at Tinana Mission, got through the Vuvu valley with only a small hiccup and arrived in Vuvu let in the morning. A quick refuel and they were off again - managing to get over Lehana’s just before the light went. After a long day,, they finally arrived in Rhodes just after 9pm, dinner first and then their whips."

Excellent riding guys!

Just to add detail from the FC news re penalties:

"The second penalty refers to Golden Rule #6 and is regarded in an extremely serious light. Abuse of support station staff, official and other riders is not be tolerated no matter the circumstances. The race depends on the commitment and generosity of these stations and their hosts who go out of their way to assist riders at all hours of the day and night. This rider behaved extremely badly and the while the support station did not report him, other riders were so discomfited by his behaviour, they contacted the race office. The rider has apologised and sat out a penalty at the next support station."

I make no judgements.

which rider was it?

any merit or favour given?

No details given, and it wasn't Neil ;)

Just in case I am misconstrued - I think Pierre Oosthuizen is doing just what he should, he wobbled a bit in the start with a good old boslaap on night 1 and now he seems to have found his rhythm and some good riding mates - that is what the first days are about, ie the shock of how hard it is, the realisation that sticking to it gets you further and that you have all you need to get you to the end.

Perhaps the cautious approach we are seeing this year is because there are so many first time riders - the general feedback seems to be "damn that was hard, but is was so worth it"

I wouldn't say that Dirt-rider has found his rhythm yet. Yesterday he did 25 kms extra on a 50km stretch.  He has been riding alone most of the time since Stephen K withdrew. Today he apparently left in a group though. Hope for his sake he can keep up with them. He has apparently lost his compass.  :eek:

Johann Rissik seems to be going along well.

Any info on why Rob and Tessa withdrew? They made it to Rhodes without many issues.

Archived