Who remembers?

DPG

Who remembers going to the river with mates and packing clay at the end of a stick. Klay Lat!

We lived near an an old quarry..had to cross the railway to get there..plenty plenty kleilat adventures...and ruined clothes and sore backsides from the hiding that would follow..never stopped us the hidings were worth it..

Speaking of railway..putting a coin on the railway then waiting for the train to squash it..big adventures looking for the coin after..also sitting in between railway line with a hand on each line to get that little shock..you knew you had to get running when the shock stopped..we had a couple close calls

Edited by Gen

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I think about it..we were pretty bloody naughty..different times.. kattekwaad.

Tok tokkie and throwing out lamp post lights..amazing that I made it out of the 80's alive..and you dare not tell your parents you were hurt while doing any of that..we had to think of some pretty good stories to explain some of our injuries...and there was always 1 bloody dog in the street that would get out and chase us down the road..normally a Rottweiler.

Neighbourhood kids getting together and playing cricket in the road..damn we even had a small quarter pipe we would carry into the street.

We used to try and put out veld fires around the hills of Mondeor as kids.

Used to come home covered in ash as swear blind that we were nowhere near the flames.

We used to try and put out veld fires around the hills of Mondeor as kids.

Used to come home covered in ash as swear blind that we were nowhere near the flames.

We used to go fishing in the Luarensford river for trout with hand lines.

Then one day there was a fire on farm behind the river, we being about 10, pretended to help the fire fighters. Once we were done, we kicked a log open that still had some embers in it, cooked a freshly caught trout, sitting in the ash admiring out work, like that firefighter eating a 25hour day bar one.

For those who live in Somerset West, on Aberdeen street, just off Dummer, there is a stream.

We used to have klaylat wars there!! Epic battles. The houses around the stream often had substantial collateral damage.

Best days of my life.

We used to play around small ponds and streams in a bushy area before N1 City was built and took away playground. 

Late 1976 the Coca-Cola, Sprite & Fanta yo-yo craze was in full swing!

I remember "walking the dog. Of course they were banned in school .....

Banned about as successfully as cellphones can be banned nowadays :D

Late 1976 the Coca-Cola, Sprite & Fanta yo-yo craze was in full swing!

I remember "walking the dog. Of course they were banned in school .....

Those are worth some money for collectors. I sold mine that came from the late eighties for a nice sum :)

Lol.. we were in primary school.....

I was in Std 5, Aston Manor Primary school in Kempton Park. Haven't thought about it for years but now I remember it like it was yesterday.

Brown cardboard school suitcase, yellow plastic lunch box with a white lid and an orange colored drink bottle that probably held about 200ml of juice! Remember that sugary dried fruit that came in blocks? And big slabs of cremeline (was it?) toffee....

I was in Std 5, Aston Manor Primary school in Kempton Park. Haven't thought about it for years but now I remember it like it was yesterday.

Brown cardboard school suitcase, yellow plastic lunch box with a white lid and an orange colored drink bottle that probably held about 200ml of juice! Remember that sugary dried fruit that came in blocks? And big slabs of cremeline (was it?) toffee....

Lol yep..I had one in gr1....hey at least you got juice..we just all knew where the drinking water fountains were at school

You still get those dried sugary fruit squares ..

In the early mid eighties there was these bunch of Martial Arts movies especially enter the Ninja. We were so caught up with these things we made our own swords out of flatbar, those climbing hooks, even those that fits on the feet and hands. We also made our own stars and even bought some of them...we would sometimes in school holidays board the train at Florida Station to Braamfontein Station where we will walk to the Oriental Plaza just to buy some of these stars as there was one shop that was relatively cheap with all these gadgets. We also used conduit pipe of various lengths to make an aresenal of blow pipes. The darts were made from nails which was bought at the hardware store which was further sharpenned...the "feathers" were made from wool.

We used to shoot each other and these things would pierce the skin and sometimes even penetrate the skin...nearly got my eye shot out one time as I just turned my head and this dart penetrated my upper nose bone next to my eye...

Will I do it again now that I know the danger...without a doubt yes...we had some wild imaginations at that time...

Next post chorine bombs experiments...

Next post chorine bombs experiments...

Flip had many close calls with those..............remember rolling the bottle down a bank to get it to mix and explode, sometimes it didn't and the doffie would go shake it  :ph34r:

Bolt-Bombs!

Two big bolts screwed into either side of a single nut. Fill the gap with match heads and a little bit off the side of a match box, then toss it up in the air as high as you can.... works well in car parks or any big concrete area. 

Also, how many people had big brothers or in my case friends with big brothers, who bought home rounds of ammunition from the army? We sat inside my friends garage and hit a rifle bullet with a hammer until the inevitable happened. Lucky no one was maimed or killed that day. 

In the early mid eighties . . . at Florida Station

When Wendy and I met 10 years ago she lived in Florida Park but when she was younger, around 20, she stayed in a flat very close to Florida Station. Back in the day when train travel was easy, cheap and safe.

we used to go to the local dump. build a bonfire and throw all the aerosol cans we could find into the fire. those things took off like rockets