Who remembers?

DPG

Anyone else go through a Doors faze?

https://youtu.be/laJyZq5gNIM

For me it was a bit after the fact, but still good fun was had by all

My favourite Doors song..

Still listen to the Doors.. one of my favourite bands..[emoji122][emoji122]

I thank my eldest brother for exposing me to good music.. helps having a big boet who is almost a decade older ????

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else go through a Doors faze?

For me it was a bit after the fact, but still good fun was had by all

Ha, The Morrison's.

Went through, gone back to, the Jim and Van stages. 

Two very different styles of music, but each touched a teenagers and now an older adult's being.

Must be good stuff, my teenage daughter loves Jim and is determined to visit his place of interment in Paris, one day!!!

............. and is determined to visit his place of interment in Paris, one day!!!

Like, somehow, whenever I am in New York, I always end up at Strawberry Fields in Central Park. :)

I went past that graveyard in Paris, I am sure still today there people hanging about there. Jim was quite a talent pity it got lost so early, he was a tormented and ultimately self destructive soul. 

The Doors did not feature on the cultural landscape here at all in the 70's, mind you that was probably by decree  @ SABC that bred mainly naff talent.  My first exposure was the sound track of 'Apocalypse Now"  - that helicopter scene, and The End .... wowza still brings shivers to my spine.

Mind you neither did the Sex Pistols ... talking punk, Asylum Kids?  What a breakthrough for SA music  after Rabitt et al

Mind you neither did the Sex Pistols ... talking punk, Asylum Kids?  What a breakthrough for SA music  after Rabitt et al

Asylum Kids. fight it with your mind. awesome stuff

Googled a bit . Seems that the Doors had three songs in the Springbok top 20.

Light my Fire '67.

Hello I Love You '68.

Touch Me '69.

My favourite Doors songs are Riders on a Storm and LA Woman. Riders I heard first time on either John Berks or David Gresham's music shows on Springbok Radio. They had fifteen minutes each in the late afternoons.

Never owned or saw the actual vinyl (LA Woman) until many years later. With an inside sleeve like this I doubt that it would've passed the sensors.

post-24825-0-26460000-1528190127.jpg

Edit :Will put something on the other thread.

Edited by Blokman

Quite likely though was i was too young.-  i was referring to the 70s' when it was all about The Beatles and mainstream coc rock -  wasn't Berks on LM radio then (60's)?

Van Morrison and many other great artist escaped the popularity stakes then as well because it was all about pandering to the publics taste (or lack thereof) - the Grusome  Gresh was also in the business of selling records, so it was a closed loop..

I think the first radio show that I found educating was Neil Johnson on 702,

I went past that graveyard in Paris, I am sure still today there people hanging about there. Jim was quite a talent pity it got lost so early, he was a tormented and ultimately self destructive soul. 

The Doors did not feature on the cultural landscape here at all in the 70's, mind you that was probably by decree  @ SABC that bred mainly naff talent.  My first exposure was the sound track of 'Apocalypse Now"  - that helicopter scene, and The End .... wowza still brings shivers to my spine.

Not true.There was a huge music scene in the late 60s and early 70s.We all had the albums.If you did not have every Jimi,Cream,DoorsFloyd or Grateful Dead album there was something wrong with you.As for Springbok Radio,the only time we listened was in the evening to the plays.Greshams music programmes were crap

I spent 3 months in the Army College in 71 in PTA and JHB was pumping

Springbok did some interesting record covers in their time

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rmmBF2ehVo0/T43hVFqm0FI/AAAAAAAAAlk/QARXoB0NjJ0/s400/Springbok+Hit+Parade+29.jpg

Not true.There was a huge music scene in the late 60s and early 70s.We all had the albums.If you did not have every Jimi,Cream,DoorsFloyd or Grateful Dead album there was something wrong with you.As for Springbok Radio,the only time we listened was in the evening to the plays.Greshams music programmes were crap

I spent 3 months in the Army College in 71 in PTA and JHB was pumping

Yes definitely - I lived in Benoni from ages 10 to 21!

Honestly never heard The Doors until the 80's

What t alternatives was there to SABC mind control machine? LM, Capital Radio and Radio Freedom  all on shortwave :)

Yes definitely - I lived in Benoni from ages 10 to 21!

Honestly never heard The Doors until the 80's

What t alternatives was there to SABC mind control machine? LM, Capital Radio and Radio Freedom  all on shortwave :)

I went to school in Braamies. With Hillbrow next door. In the late sixties and seventies it was a cosmopolitan place. We were young and had very little money we walked those streets for hours.Look and Listen was a favourite.

Being a boys school we got invited to an Afrikaans evening at Parktown Girls High. Cultural thing, poetry and so on.

They expected some some Brylcreemed guys with safari suits and combs in their socks.

Het hulle 'n surprise gekry.

I went to school in Braamies. With Hillbrow next door. In the late sixties and seventies it was a cosmopolitan place. We were young and had very little money we walked those streets for hours.Look and Listen was a favourite.

Being a boys school we got invited to an Afrikaans evening at Parktown Girls High. Cultural thing, poetry and so on.

They expected some some Brylcreemed guys with safari suits and combs in their socks.

Het hulle 'n surprise gekry.

well well well, arise

I would be beside myself when this intro came on....

We all grew up thinking Ernest Borgnine was only ever in Airwolf...