Who remembers?

DPG

And close by was the Pink Panther restaurant - it was the restaurant's name?

Is that a " Volkskas " sign on the facade ? The dollies working there with their beehive hairdos ?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were talking about the rise and fall of shopping centers this morning.

Wendy was telling me that, back in the day, the Flora Center was "the place to be" :-)

Hard to believe

It was crappy when it was built

One of my first projects when I moved to jhb

Hard to believe

It was crappy when it was built

One of my first projects when I moved to jhb

I guess that's the point. Compared to what else was around at the time it was "the best". 

That was all way before I ever got to the west rand though. 

5 odd years ago they were spending money renovating it again - not sure how it is now..

And close by was the Pink Panther restaurant - it was the restaurant's name?

Not sure about the Pink Panther restaurant. When I went to Durbs back in the day I mainly frequented the beach, and 330 on the odd Saturday - before that though when I was in school, a mate of mine and I used to catch a lift with his dad to Durbs on a Saturday (his dad worked in Durban), and we used to walk all over Durbs, looking for video game kiosks.

Nowadays I only visit Durban for group rides on the odd Sunday morning.

Back when you actually used to look at photos and reminisce.

Nowadays I have a zillion pics on a hdd and hardly ever look at them!

They make good photos for Throwback Thursday's.

On the subject of durbs, there was a reasonably upper market club called Ruby Tuesdays. Only went there once or twice but I remember it being a "dinner" club so what stood out was that all the tables had a number and each table had a phone.. one could call the potential love interest before you walked across and embarrassed yourself LOL..

Anyone remember Sterland in Pretoria. Two / 3 blocks down from the Sunnypark Shopping Centre. That was a hive of activity and many Saturday nights were spent going between the two. Just up from Sterland was a place called Sizzles. My oath. Best Burger I have ever had and 25 years later I remember them clearly. They were the size of sideplates and had an unreal tangy cheese sauce...

Good times..

On the subject of durbs, there was a reasonably upper market club called Ruby Tuesdays. Only went there once or twice but I remember it being a "dinner" club so what stood out was that all the tables had a number and each table had a phone.. one could call the potential love interest before you walked across and embarrassed yourself LOL..

Anyone remember Sterland in Pretoria. Two / 3 blocks down from the Sunnypark Shopping Centre. That was a hive of activity and many Saturday nights were spent going between the two. Just up from Sterland was a place called Sizzles. My oath. Best Burger I have ever had and 25 years later I remember them clearly. They were the size of sideplates and had an unreal tangy cheese sauce...

Good times..

That was the place to go when I was in High School.  Weekend nights that place was packed.  Also the reason why the "Freedom fighters" tried bombing the place in the late 80's.  Luckily the guys selected to the job was not so clued up and blew himself up while setting up the limpet mine long before the crowds arrived.

where were you in high school ??

good old memories of early / mid eighties pretoria. have read the whole thread but cant remember if anyones mentioned Jacquelines?? Limelight?? we went to the opening of limelight (on our 50cc's, as one did in the day) and they had Lazers !!!! My oath... lazers… Jacquelines had a light that they shot onto a mirrorball, Limelight had lazers that made a pattern on the wall.. the danding started at nine thirty but before the dancing there was a 5 minute "build Up lazer show" classic !!!

where were you in high school ??

good old memories of early / mid eighties pretoria. have read the whole thread but cant remember if anyones mentioned Jacquelines?? Limelight?? we went to the opening of limelight (on our 50cc's, as one did in the day) and they had Lazers !!!! My oath... lazers… Jacquelines had a light that they shot onto a mirrorball, Limelight had lazers that made a pattern on the wall.. the danding started at nine thirty but before the dancing there was a 5 minute "build Up lazer show" classic !!!

Silverton.  But the last year of highschool I lived almost next to Wilgers (yip close to Limelight which later became Presley's) I think.

For those of you that are my age, more or less!!

I wanted to be there so badly, but I had a Rhodesian passport, which allowed me travel to SA, Moz and Portugal. 

Didn't have any money anyway.

http://www.history101.com/woodstock-photos/1/

I came too late for that, by the time I became aware, Woodstock was already the icon against which all other events would forever be measured.  :thumbup: