Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

@Wyatt Earp I hear your point. When I ride a 40km training ride I take 2 water botles and am ok.

But my point is also valid- If Eqstra can have 2/3 water points for a 23km race, then Juma can have 2 for a 53km race. That is all I am saying. Especially on the latter half, when it is hotter, one is more tired, and it is uphill. Just makes sense to me that is all. I assumed this, and hence only took 1 bottle and that was not enough. Now I know to assume nothing even for R350.

I enjoyed the race and hope to do it again next year with more skill and fitness and more experience of what races are all about.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife really wanted a bell, but she didn't do the race. I will gladly take one of your hands if you really don't want it....  ^_^ :blush:

I agree totally, 1 bottle for 52km was more than enough for me.

Whiners will always whine, they need to HTFU. Train more. Simple.

Was a lekker event, even though mine was cut short due to technical failure. Total noob mistake: sidewall cut on that little soft-sand decent around 10km in, just before the cemetary, followed by not checking for thorns when putting the tube in *pssshhhtt*. had a few offers of tubes but everyone was carrying ones with Shrader valves which don't fit. Walked back to start, thanks to Mike Bike for the tube and then a solo mission trying to regroup with the missus and mates. The beers in the backpack went down really well!

Not sad to miss the smelly sewers, but would have been nice to have a go at more of the obstacles. bottlenecks were crazy!

Edited by MTBc

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far! Collecting everything up to send through to the Organisers. Looks like almost everyone had fun and enjoyed the "unique" nature of the course. 

My ride was a bit longer, around 6 hours total - but started at 07h50 and hit some major bottlenecks.

Also, evidently, I cannot claim Racing Snake status. All you sub 3.5hrs... shew. My ass is sore.

Keep chatting!

We're going to put a gallery of pics up on Hollard Facebook soon and I'll see if there are any professional ones floating around. Especially RampCam.

Those with chips should have got an SMS from RaceTec with prov times.

--Andy

where do we find the photos that were taken on the event? :mellow:

Yes please... does anybody know?

SERIOUS!?

Wow. Props.

I gather he's the type that pulls TWO ice cream bikes on 94.7?

--Andy

Rode a bit with him back up the spruit.

Was the no championchip, no result rule enforced? ( I did not do the race, but heard that there were some manual results captured becaue some of the "upper echelon" riders did not have chips)

Would like to hear a response from Andy please.

Morning!

Let me ask the organisers for you...

--Andy

We had an out of town pro sleep over at our house and when she found out about the timing chip, which she didn't have, she phoned around until she found out that she could buy one at the start. Guess who had to get up at 4am to get her to Mark's Park... :lol: Luckily she won prizemoney.

@Wyatt Earp I hear your point. When I ride a 40km training ride I take 2 water botles and am ok.

But my point is also valid- If Eqstra can have 2/3 water points for a 23km race, then Juma can have 2 for a 53km race. That is all I am saying. Especially on the latter half, when it is hotter, one is more tired, and it is uphill. Just makes sense to me that is all. I assumed this, and hence only took 1 bottle and that was not enough. Now I know to assume nothing even for R350.

I enjoyed the race and hope to do it again next year with more skill and fitness and more experience of what races are all about.

I was more asking out of interest and wondering how much people need to drink.

I believe you train to ride and train to drink.

Yesterday was very cool, I spent quite a substantial amount of time on the road bike, had one bottle and still had about two sips of water when I finished the ride.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far! Collecting everything up to send through to the Organisers. Looks like almost everyone had fun and enjoyed the "unique" nature of the course. 

My ride was a bit longer, around 6 hours total - but started at 07h50 and hit some major bottlenecks.

Also, evidently, I cannot claim Racing Snake status. All you sub 3.5hrs... shew. My ass is sore.

Keep chatting!

We're going to put a gallery of pics up on Hollard Facebook soon and I'll see if there are any professional ones floating around. Especially RampCam.

Those with chips should have got an SMS from RaceTec with prov times.

--Andy

Surely times from this can't be taken seriously? I looks like there are guys who aborted the 52km route and took the shorter route back and have a 2 hour odd finish time. It would make for some seriously messed up seedings.

I don't think she has done an ultra, but I could be wrong.

Yes, Patches nailed it perfectly with that and many of us have said the same thing before, that is what it really boils down to.

And I think he is refering to the Juma and not an Ultra...

Edit: You were the only one that brought up Ultra's here (1st one to mention it). And the Juma only being 52km I never understood why you did. I doubt the people seeded M onwards rode Ultra's on weekends, so please go back to my original reference made to "marathons".

Edited by hayleyearth

Just don't lock it down that you need a Facebook account to see the images - I am sure I am not the only one who can't be bothered with an account there but do want to see the photos...

Ya, for sure. Definitely helps staying right. Also the concreted bit added there now makes it less of a drop off but it can catch out newcomers to that obstacle. If I'm riding with a spruit newcomer, I always make sure to caution them at that place.

I can't picture this area. Where about is it?

I LOVED it...

a super fun route, ideal to ride the SS on...But as has been mentioned here already, I thought there’s room for improvement.

Water points have been mentioned over and over already, I got by on one bottle but I wanted some water to rinse the valve, wasn’t too keen putting it in my mouth.. but that’s my own fault for not having an extra bottle with which I should know by now.  
Taking into account this was the inaugural event, I’m sure the organizers will  learn from their mistakes. 

I think they did a great job in general, I loved seeing parts of Jozi I normally wouldn't've ....

I know litter is an issue here but it's so sad how much is actually out there :eek: so many beautiful places, specially along that river next the the M1, in a terrible state :thumbdown:

The bottlenecks.... expected, but as has also already been mentioned it was technically challenged riders causing more of a hold up than anything else. I’ve got no room to complain about being stuck in places, if  I was fast enough and was seeded better I’d’ve had less stopping issues, plain and simple. I think my total time was about half an hour more than my moving time, so not that bad.

The tunnels could’ve done with a bit more lighting, but next time I’ll know to fit my light, again simple solution.I was very grateful for the guy in front of me in the Anatomic Tunnel for having a seatpost light, so I just followed him. :D 

heard and saw tons of falls too, tunnels were tricky and slippery.. but, I made it through ok.

I'm no expert but maybe something (rubbery?) could be added to the stairs and the ramps to help with grip with cleated shoes, all those ramps were rideable but not when people in front were pushing. 

Medal, bell,banana, pat on the back at the end.. whatever, not phased.

I just wanted a beer!! :P which I smashed in the beer tent straight after :clap: 

I’ll definitely enter next year :thumbup: