Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

You guys know if you keep right at that section the line is 100% ridable and easier than rolling off a curb. The guy infront of me almost bailed too today and I just wondered why he didnt keep to the right. I always keep right there because I know that surface is slipery (of course because water runs over it all the time and one can see the green ulgy a little)

Wish I knew about that line....first ride in that area. Wiser for nxt time :-)

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even by TheHub 's toddler standards there is an embarrassing amount of whining about this race. If you are complaining that there was one water point in 52km AND you only took one bottle then the only chop is you not the organisers. 1 water point, 2 bottles and 52km is a perfect combination.

Complaining about T-shirt sizes? By now you should know if you buy a race shirt the sizing will always be a lottery. Once again not the organisers fault.

Complaining about the race pack or finishers bell? You remind me of the 4 year olds at my kids' parties when there party pack doesn't meet their 4 year old needs. You pay for the opportunity to do the rrace. A race pack or finishers 'gift' is simply tthat - a gift.

I thought it was a great event. There is inevitably room for improvement but for a first effort all I can say is well done. To the whiners - drop that uniquely South African culture of entitlement, learn to look after yourself or grow a pair.

I agree totally, 1 bottle for 52km was more than enough for me.

Whiners will always whine, they need to HTFU. Train more. Simple.

More water points needed, would be nice if they could reduce some bottlenecks tht red bull 1 was ridiculous. Waited 40 mins

Overall great concept

Complaining about the race pack or finishers bell? You remind me of the 4 year olds at my kids' parties when there party pack doesn't meet their 4 year old needs. You pay for the opportunity to do the rrace. A race pack or finishers 'gift'  is simply tthat - a gift. 

I agree if it was a freeby, but when you paying for it then the size needs to be right.

Even by TheHub 's toddler standards there is an embarrassing amount of whining about this race. If you are complaining that there was one water point in 52km AND you only took one bottle then the only chop is you not the organisers. 1 water point, 2 bottles and 52km is a perfect combination.

Complaining about T-shirt sizes? By now you should know if you buy a race shirt the sizing will always be a lottery. Once again not the organisers fault.

Complaining about the race pack or finishers bell? You remind me of the 4 year olds at my kids' parties when there party pack doesn't meet their 4 year old needs. You pay for the opportunity to do the rrace. A race pack or finishers 'gift' is simply tthat - a gift.

I thought it was a great event. There is inevitably room for improvement but for a first effort all I can say is well done. To the whiners - drop that uniquely South African culture of entitlement, learn to look after yourself or grow a pair.

No issue with one watering point. Issue with organizers saying there are two and then only providing one. Great race, but for 350 bucks a little medal would be nice. Don't give a **** about the race pack.

Edited by Wahoofish

No issue with one watering point. Issue with organizers saying there are two and then only providing one. Great race, but for 350 bucks a little medal would be nice. Don't give a **** about the race pack.

Try and wind your neck in and allow people their opinions.

Well said! the organizers can maybe use some of these complains to improve for future races

You guys know if you keep right at that section the line is 100% ridable and easier than rolling off a curb. The guy infront of me almost bailed too today and I just wondered why he didnt keep to the right. I always keep right there because I know that surface is slipery (of course because water runs over it all the time and one can see the green ulgy a little)

Ya, for sure. Definitely helps staying right. Also the concreted bit added there now makes it less of a drop off but it can catch out newcomers to that obstacle. If I'm riding with a spruit newcomer, I always make sure to caution them at that place.

I was amazed by the effort and planning that went into the scaffolding and bridges. The Anatomic tunnel was awesome! If anything there should have been even less light 

The bottlenecks were caused by inexperienced riders and not poor course planning. I bailed HARD at about 40Km because a lady decided to try and get off her bike halfway down a drop. I ended up with a groin injury, 4 snapped spokes, a buckled rim & rotor and no gears. I still managed to finish the ride but it’s going to be a while before I’m on the bike again

So apart from almost writing off my bike and myself I had a great time. (I would really have liked a medal as a souvenir though)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to whine about the bell instead of a medal is just stupid. Right from the very first time this event was advertised it was only ever going to be a bell and not a medal. It was communicated upfront so why still enter if the medal is so damn important to you?

Bells are needed more so great idea !!

Souvenir medal is a nice idea but bell more useful !

Edited by Milosh

I love the challenge! I want more!

I think the route was awesome. Very well done to the guys that must have spend hours on hours to bring all the bits together.

I had only one problem today! The people. Not the amount but the mentality of most of the people riding and their skill levels. Shocking to think back to how few people actually rode the scaffolding ups and downs. Not to speak about the little bit through that redbull thing. Really? Is that REALLY that difficult? Then there were guys walking the difficult lines where there were an easy line too....why?

Why do guys feel the need to sprint up to bottle necks? There was a smallish one up Melville koppies so I slowed down on my way up so the crowd could leave and I dont have to stop (so I was moving but slowly) and 2 guys come sprinting past so I said "you guys will just end up stopping in anyway". They did so I just smilled when they looked back and I was still feet on the pedals.

Whe if there is a line made at a "technical line" and we all wait our turn there are a few guys that just come sprinting past and push in as if they are sure all the people waiting can not ride the section. Today I realised that this is not just the mentality of taxi drivers in our country. I was really dissapointed.

Should I mention all the GU papers left everywhere. Wow!

I really wish all there people that could not ride 'non flat sections' could care less about what the cycling shops tells them and go ride with flat padals and shoes. I was told so many times today "yes you can ride it because look at what shoes you are wearing"...what the hell?! So then I ask "why dont you ride with flats?" and 90% of the time the answer was "because all my friends ride with clips"....If you are not a confident rider my advice to you will be 'go buy some flats'.

I will be super sad if they make the course of this challenge easier next year. There is enough marathon races in SA. If you can not ride technical stuff, simply dont enter. If you want to race and not have bottle necks, dont enter. If you want to act like an idiot and only think about yourself, maybe go do a solo sailing trip around the world.

I had chats with great people at the bottle necks and it was awesome to see other woman riding sections that the guys pushed :)

I cant complain about anything else. I carried more than enough water.

I didnt have parking issues because I rode from home.

I love the bell because it is usefull and I can actually give it with the bikes I give to kids in rural areas.

I hope I dont have to wait a year till the next one!

Guest Travis.

Did I do the same race as everyone else? I counted 2 water points. One at 16km (after the Anatomic tunnel) and one at 30something (Boston Ice Tea - with kids giving out tea). 

Lots of crying happening here. It was always obvious that this would be a technical event for advanced riders only. Most people ignore that and think because they have some fitness they have skill...I think most people need to stay on their road bikes and/or learn to ride technical sections before doing such events, but with this being the new golf, this is only a pipe dream.

Nothing wrong with the bell, although a medal with the logo would have been cool.

Crisis people, stop crying and see this event for what it was/is - a fun experience.