Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

So I see a lot of riders were  carried away on stretchers ? Because the race was technical or because they were exhausted ?

Think this was due to: Lack of skill, under training and not enough preparation. People train on the road (this includes jeeptrack) and expect to be able to handle offroad

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went flying up it, really easy with more than enough traction! Unfortunately the marshals wouldn't let us ride down, and we had to walk/slide down. This was pretty scary for me! My shoes (Gearne carbon) had zero grip! Would have been safer to let us ride down

You are thinking about the Oxford crossing, that just needed a transition at the bottom of the ramps.

I went flying up it, really easy with more than enough traction! Unfortunately the marshals wouldn't let us ride down, and we had to walk/slide down. This was pretty scary for me! My shoes (Gearne carbon) had zero grip! Would have been safer to let us ride down

I reckon this was the case on a lot of the bridges. My shoes also had no traction on the metal... I felt much safer on my bike!

Yup, my Shimano's felt like Ice skates going down those. I stayed on the bike whenever possible.

You are thinking about the Oxford crossing, that just needed a transition at the bottom of the ramps.

Quite possible. I only pushed up the 1 scaffolding out of one of the storm drains. The was one bridge closed where they diverted us around it. Might it be that one he's asking about? I dont know the roads there very well

Edited by Letum911

What is the story about last batch 55km riders(dont know how many) being diverted onto the shorter distance because it was taking them too long because of bottlenecks?

I would ask for a refund.

My 16 year old son did the 52km. He was seeded in J (he wanted to leave earlier, but when we queried whether he could get a better seeding there was grumblings that at his age he shouldn't be doing the 52km so we left well enough alone), he got away at 6:45. He loved the race, still had 2 water points, very little bottle necks and rode everything except where he was told by some marshal to get off his bike, he didn't fall (which is almost a first - a bit of a cowboy), loved the tunnels, loved the bridges (rode up and down) and in general he enjoyed the course totally and was impressed to learn some new trails in Jhb. He finished in 3:30 (was disappointed with his time but it was his longest race to date) and can't wait for the next one. Only gripe he had was with the "no medal" - hey he's 16, needs bragging rights and a purple bell is not going to fly with his mates and nothing to drink at the end. Thanks Cycle Lab for the free drinks!!!

My 16 year old son did the 52km. He was seeded in J (he wanted to leave earlier, but when we queried whether he could get a better seeding there was grumblings that at his age he shouldn't be doing the 52km so we left well enough alone), he got away at 6:45. He loved the race, still had 2 water points, very little bottle necks and rode everything except where he was told by some marshal to get off his bike, he didn't fall (which is almost a first - a bit of a cowboy), loved the tunnels, loved the bridges (rode up and down) and in general he enjoyed the course totally and was impressed to learn some new trails in Jhb. He finished in 3:30 (was disappointed with his time but it was his longest race to date) and can't wait for the next one. Only gripe he had was with the "no medal" - hey he's 16, needs bragging rights and a purple bell is not going to fly with his mates and nothing to drink at the end. Thanks Cycle Lab for the free drinks!!!

I am sure I got a old Urban Assault medal somewhere . Swap ? I never got enough bells !!

I would like to comment regarding the two types of people that entered this race.  My hubby had a bad fall and broke his hip in the canal.  We could not move him out of the way.  He was in agony.  The medics took awhile and we had to re-direct traffic (no more than 5 meters) around him and unfortunately through ankle deep (totally rideable) water.  Almost all of the riders were concerned about his well being, asked if they could help, and wished him luck.  I really want to thank all of you for your patience and understanding.  

There were however two individuals that I would like to give a special thanks.  The guy in the 'bear/chipmuck/beaver' suit that refused to go through the water and get wet - dude, what are you doing in a mtb race?!  The other that simple said f him, he will go over him.  Really?!  To these two guys i hope you receive the same compassion the day you are in need.

The assistance of the marshalls, medics and lady that gave me a lift to fetch my car back at the start were amazing and you are really appreciated. I think the race (at least the part we did) was awesome and even with the bottlenecks we would do it again.

Well done to all that finished!

I would like to comment regarding the two types of people that entered this race.  My hubby had a bad fall and broke his hip in the canal.  We could not move him out of the way.  He was in agony.  The medics took awhile and we had to re-direct traffic (no more than 5 meters) around him and unfortunately through ankle deep (totally rideable) water.  Almost all of the riders were concerned about his well being, asked if they could help, and wished him luck.  I really want to thank all of you for your patience and understanding.  

There were however two individuals that I would like to give a special thanks.  The guy in the 'bear/chipmuck/beaver' suit that refused to go through the water and get wet - dude, what are you doing in a mtb race?!  The other that simple said f him, he will go over him.  Really?!  To these two guys i hope you receive the same compassion the day you are in need.

The assistance of the marshalls, medics and lady that gave me a lift to fetch my car back at the start were amazing and you are really appreciated. I think the race (at least the part we did) was awesome and even with the bottlenecks we would do it again.

Idiots!!

Speedy recovery for your hubby, wish him all the best!

hope he gets better soon .

Not sure who else got, but I was handed some Volvo branded bottled water by somebody.

Also handed bottles of water when I finished, just after getting my bell, came in around 12pm having started in T batch

Awesome event this. Loved it.

Would have been quicker but wifey got sliced by razor wire (4 stitches) and then I suffered an enduring slow puncture from 20km onwards (was just too lazy (or to excited) to retube). The water point issue is just one of the things that organisers failed to enforce, but other that that, WHAT A RIDE! - probably the most involving ride I've ever done...stitches, bombs and all!

Took wifey to Fourways Life Hospital. Doctors stated most of the patients admitted yesterday were all JUMA cyclists. Haha

Anyone want to get rid of their bell I would gladly take it from you if it is going to end up on a shelve and you not going to use it. My 3yr old loves purple so the bell went on to her bike for the 947 kiddies race she is going to ride. I am in the East.....

I would like to comment regarding the two types of people that entered this race. My hubby had a bad fall and broke his hip in the canal. We could not move him out of the way. He was in agony. The medics took awhile and we had to re-direct traffic (no more than 5 meters) around him and unfortunately through ankle deep (totally rideable) water. Almost all of the riders were concerned about his well being, asked if they could help, and wished him luck. I really want to thank all of you for your patience and understanding.

There were however two individuals that I would like to give a special thanks. The guy in the 'bear/chipmuck/beaver' suit that refused to go through the water and get wet - dude, what are you doing in a mtb race?! The other that simple said f him, he will go over him. Really?! To these two guys i hope you receive the same compassion the day you are in need.

Knobs