Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

Awesome ride!!! The tunnel had enough light to be safe. The biggest problem for the day was the rider's skill, or lack thereof. I had a guy unclip bot pedals and jam on brakes for a bump in the road (hump was compacted and about axle height)! I bonked at about 40km (not enough snacks with me, was bargaining on the 2nd water point, but that could easily have been avoided by carrying a banana, so my fault).

The average weekend rider had 0 skill, can't ride up or down the bridges, bumps, drops, rocks etc. If they didn't stop to contemplate life and then push the bike over a more than rideable section there would be no bottlenecks!

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was always obvious that this would be a technical event for advanced riders only. 

Technically not, the site did say "This route is suitable for all levels of riders (Titans, Legends, Warriors & Spartan Queens)" right at the top on this page: http://www.juma.co.za/race-info/ - and I guess the word "warriors" in that statement is open to interpretation, but, I took that to mean "weekend warrior", and I guess in theory, all of us who are not professional athlete's are technically classified under "weekend warriors" - not that I am implying everyone has the same level of skill of course.

Edited by Lurch

Technically not, the site did say "This route is suitable for all levels of riders (Titans, Legends, Warriors & Spartan Queens)" right at the top on this page: http://www.juma.co.za/race-info/ - and I guess the word "warriors" in that statement is open to interpretation, but, I took that to mean "weekend warrior", and I guess in theory, all of us who are not professional athlete's are technically classified under "weekend warriors" - not that I am implying everyone has the same level of skill of course.

That is true, but it was also called a challenge. I am a weekend warrior, infact this was my first mtb race ever! But I made sure to prepare enough to ride the basic obstacles. And the only place I had to push my bike was where the whole group was pushing and I can't navigate some of the obstacles at walking pace, for example the ramps where people pushed. From the 2nd or 3rd ramp people started sticking to the left and we just flew up the ramps with no difficulties

I had a total time of 4:20 on the 52 that includes the bottlenecks

Edited by Letum911

I will take a small light with me for the tunnel next year. Nearly got caught out in the drop offs in the tunnel in the dark. Aso nearly ran over a lady who fell off in front of me. A privelege to ride so much singletrack in the heart of JOZI

That is true, but it was also called a challenge. I am a weekend warrior, infact this was my first mtb race ever! But I made sure to prepare enough to ride the basic obstacles. And the only place I had to push my bike was where the whole group was pushing and I can't navigate some of the obstacles at walking pace, for example the ramps where people pushed. From the 2nd or 3rd ramp people started sticking to the left and we just flew up the ramps with no difficulties

I had a total time of 4:20 on the 52 that includes the bottlenecks

I definitely agree on the preparation factor. As I said, I wasn't arguing the point or putting us all in the same skill level - I am just a pedantic type of person so was pointing out what the wording technically said.;) Personally, I am better than some, and worse than alot of others. I enjoyed it and will be back as I am sure others will. If somebody didn't have a good time, then they're going to just stay away in future I guess...

There is enough marathon races in SA. If you can not ride technical stuff

I read your entire post and all I got from it is that marathon races are pretty "easy" to do or "non technical"

Have you actually done an ultra ?

I rode around 70 % of this Juma route on Saturday, I did not do the entire route or race so can't comment on the race, but the majority of it I rode had no serious technical challenges, I have come across much more challenging sections in marathons.

Did I do the same race as everyone else? I counted 2 water points. One at 16km (after the Anatomic tunnel) and one at 30something (Boston Ice Tea - with kids giving out tea). 

Lots of crying happening here. It was always obvious that this would be a technical event for advanced riders only. Most people ignore that and think because they have some fitness they have skill...I think most people need to stay on their road bikes and/or learn to ride technical sections before doing such events, but with this being the new golf, this is only a pipe dream.

Nothing wrong with the bell, although a medal with the logo would have been cool.

Crisis people, stop crying and see this event for what it was/is - a fun experience.

I rode the same race as you. There were two well organised waterpoints.

cool race guys!  a few lessons to be learned i.t.o. wooden planks used for bridges that are very slippery when wet, but really really awesome route!  I lived in joburg all my life and i ride around here a lot, yet you guys managed to surprize me with at least 30% of the course being on trails / places that I've never even known existed!

cool event barring some bottlenecks, but none more than was expected!

Thanks!

I read your entire post and all I got from it is that marathon races are pretty "easy" to do or "non technical"

I rode around 70 % of this Juma route on Saturday, I did not do the entire route or race so can't comment on the race, but the majority of it I rode had no serious technical challenges, I have come across much more challenging sections in marathons.

I agree. 

There wasn't overly technical obstacles and they were relatively few and far between. 

It's a different ball game to do technical riding when you already have 70, 80 or 90km under your belt, as opposed to 25km of Spruit riding. 

The people seeded where I was seeded was also not the "ultra marathon" type, thus I was just refering to "marathon" (please not that in my previous post). Yes I have done quite a few of those already, not in the last year because they just a little bit too boring for me now (I guess that is why my seeding was only a M). Even before I 'upped my skills a bit' and when I rode with clips too I can actually not remember there being any technical sections that I had to get off and walk.

I agree 100% with you, the course wasnt technical, but to most of the people it seemed to have been and that is why I said in my previous post "Is that REALLY that difficult?" I even rode all the uphills yesterday while others were walking it (yes me with my extra body weight, baggies, flats and backpack)...hectic to think that was possible hey from a proper weekend warrior. 

Did anyone log the 52km ride on Strava?

I was not brave enough to carry my phone but would like to have a look exactly where I rode and what the profile looked like.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion! I only got my bike this year so I am new. I rode most of the tech parts just fine and pushed when others in front pushed. New guys need to learn skills. Guys who have been riding for years need to appreciate this. Rather support and encourage than demean. I do think for R350 there should be more than one water point. That is not crying or entitlement. It is professional and common sense. This was my second race ever. My first at Eqestra Avianto I did the 23km and it had 2/3 water points. There was definitely only one water point on my race yesterday. I rode M group. This was not an iron man endurance event to see who can survive on minimal fluids. It was a public urban race event. Multiple water points would be the norm and expected. Anyway. I really enjoyed the sand spruit side of the ride and it's a pity this river is buried or not accessible as the braam spruit is! Can the authorities not some how link the two rivers? That would be great and make for a super ride.