Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

But did bail hard on the Left turn just after the mechanics at 38kms. Straight over the handle bars.

The spot with the wet rock? I still maintain that's one of the most dangerous spots on the spruit. I heard a guy broke his femur there today and apparently took a while for the EMTs to get to him.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the 52km (starting in W batch) in  little over 4 hours. Lost over half an hour at just one bottleneck.

My only complaint is the lack of water points, but I wasn't too bothered, as I always bring enough fluids so as not too rely on water points. 

Anatomic Tunnel was fun! Literally riding blind for some sections!

The spot with the wet rock? I still maintain that's one of the most dangerous spots on the spruit. I heard a guy broke his femur there today and apparently took a while for the EMTs to get to him.

Yea right there by the little drop on to rocks. The guys in front of me slowed down to much,not enough moment,wheel just went of the edge and dug in resulting in the parachute effect :-) have frikkin sore knees and hands. Part & parcel at least I didn't break anything or damage the bike ( most important ) did wack the handlebars skew though.

Suspect there were alot of injuries today. 

I had a bad slip in one of the stormwater drains. Luckily my ass broke my fall..

Ha ha ha that's funny,they were well dodgy though :-)

I had an amazing time and started in batch Q! The bottlenecks were intense but at such a large event this can be expected. Those who came today with fun in mind had a blast, those worried about times... eish. Plenty of other events for that.

The event was truly gr8, I r8 it 8/8 m8! 

Does anybody have any great pictures of the technical areas that they will like to share so I can show mates what they missed out on?

What an awesome race, loved every minute of it from beginning to end! Started in batch D so had a few hackers to contend with and guys that get off at the sight of a few rocks. Didn't get held up too much.

I cannot wait for the next one.

Only advice I can give to the organisers - don't listen to the whiners on the hub. The bell is cool, better than a BS medal that gets thrown away. Secondly there was over a kilometer of waterpoint we rode through, tell the whiners to lie down in it.

Great day out, beers were awesome too especially the first one around 9am

Interesting experience. Interesting ride, Def not a Race, it's an experience.

1 Water - BIG fail.

Adding whatever level of technical stuff when you have 3000 people trying to go up a hill and only a single track was begging for hike a bike, maybe consider dual tracks more, and chicken runs are apparently suppose to be a easier, I rode the more tech line, but some of the guys in our group did the chicken runs and apparently they were judged more technical than the technical line.

But then, ignored the time and just did the experience.

PS: Who did the shirts, the sizes suck, the medium is to small and the large is like a sleeping bag. Sad face, wanted to wear this shirt, can't.

G

Yea right there by the little drop on to rocks. The guys in front of me slowed down to much,not enough moment,wheel just went of the edge and dug in resulting in the parachute effect :-) have frikkin sore knees and hands. Part & parcel at least I didn't break anything or damage the bike ( most important ) did wack the handlebars skew though.

Yeah man, I have gone OTB there before and it hurt. Also saw a guy with a broken hip there one Saturday - sobering.

Even by TheHub 's toddler standards there is an embarrassing amount of whining about this race. If you are complaining that there was one water point in 52km AND you only took one bottle then the only chop is you not the organisers. 1 water point,  2 bottles and 52km is a perfect combination. 

Complaining about T-shirt sizes? By now you should know if you buy a race shirt the sizing will always be a lottery. Once again not the organisers fault.

Complaining about the race pack or finishers bell? You remind me of the 4 year olds at my kids' parties when there party pack doesn't meet their 4 year old needs. You pay for the opportunity to do the rrace. A race pack or finishers 'gift'  is simply tthat - a gift. 

I thought it was a great event. There is inevitably room for improvement but for a first effort all I can say is well done. To the whiners - drop that uniquely South African culture of entitlement,  learn to look after yourself or grow a pair. 

Yeah man, I have gone OTB there before and it hurt. Also saw a guy with a broken hip there one Saturday - sobering.

You guys know if you keep right at that section the line is 100% ridable and easier than rolling off a curb. The guy infront of me almost bailed too today and I just wondered why he didnt keep to the right. I always keep right there because I know that surface is slipery (of course because water runs over it all the time and one can see the green ulgy a little)

Eina ! will count myself lucky then :-)