Adverse Analytical Finding - in-competition test

News bot

No... You can't be serious! If an average amateur rider (like me for example) who rides for the fun and enjoyment of it, has to apply for a TUE or risk banning, can you imagine the queues and backlog? If the guy tested positive for elevated EPO, testosterone, clenbuterol, amphetamines or similar then sure, nail him. But a fat loss drug that has no performance enhancement properties and basically is primarily an appetite suppressant? Of course I'll take an "Indignant position".

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you have flu, asthma or a heart condition, and are taking prescribed medicine, now you can't do mtb events because you could be tested and banned! Absolutely ridiculous.

If you are a licensed rider (day license applies here as well) you have to apply for a medical exemption for certain things like asthma and heart condition medication. If you dont and get caught, well then tough luck, you get banned. So something similar to Brandon Stewart who had low testosterone and started taking the injections. He didnt have official written approval from CSA... banned.

Its a doff rule for day license riders!! I guess its a case of where do they draw the line? Asthma pumps can be used to improve breathing and let me tell you, guys in A cat are just as willing to use stuff to help them win as are guys in VA, so ultimately a blanket rule is all they are willing to apply?

Edited by Paulst12

No... You can't be serious! If an average amateur rider (like me for example) who rides for the fun and enjoyment of it, has to apply for a TUE or risk banning, can you imagine the queues and backlog? If the guy tested positive for elevated EPO, testosterone, clenbuterol, amphetamines or similar then sure, nail him. But a fat loss drug that has no performance enhancement properties and basically is primarily an appetite suppressant? Of course I'll take an "Indignant position".

Again, go and check your pharmacology.

Many "appetite suppressants", and certainly those that fall on the banned list, use amphetamines which is a central nervous system stimulant as the active ingredient.

These drugs are used to combat obesity, there is NO reason for a cyclist with a cyclist's BMI to take these unless they want the benefit of the amphetamine buzz.

But I see you list amphetamines on your list of things one should be banned for, so I suppose we are in agreement..

Edited by eddy

Phentermene is the active ingredient in duromine. A scheduled appetite suppressant , they wasting their time nailing veterans for this. They should spend more time checking Darryl impeys teammates.

Phentermine is not an amphetamine. Ephedrine, for example, is though, so yes eddy you're right on that one. Duromine has no performance benefit, there are much more effective fat burners out there that do give you a performance edge. Bottom line, in my opinion the guy did not deserve a 2 year ban for what he used, it was a ridiculous and heavy-handed decision.

Phentermine is not an amphetamine. Ephedrine, for example, is though, so yes eddy you're right on that one.

Whilst Wikipedia is often to be taken with a pinch of salt, it does say the following:

"Phentermine has some similarity in its pharmacodynamics with its parent compound, amphetamine, as they both are TAAR1 agonists.[8]Phentermine works on the hypothalamus portion of the brain to stimulate the adrenal glands to release norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter or chemical messenger that signals a fight-or-flight response, reducing hunger. Phentermine works outside the brain, as well, to release epinephrine or adrenaline,"

I am of an age when everybody at varsity had to have a fat mate so he could get us some Obex to keep us going on the weekend jol.

Appetite suppressants have been abused for their stimulatory effects for decades.

My point is this, if you HAVE to use an appetite suppressant for medical reasons, get your TUE along with your prescription. If you choose not to (whether it is fair or not) you will have to live with the consequences.

ps. I do not think back-markers should be tested, but that is not yet the law

Hahaha i also used Wikipedia before posting and saw the same article, but my pharmacist friend says it isn't classified as an amphetamine as such. Guys like me will have to just ride fat I guess.

i haven't read all the posts - but for the ill informed - csa don't test the riders, saids do and they are asked and paid by the organisers of the event to test. they normally just test the podium winners and mr anderson will be able to ride his argus next year because it is not sanctioned and you don't need a csa license.

Edited by WP Cycling events

A.S u rock! Ag shame, some people. Magnified note in their lingo; almal are kan do is following for killer ride. Ingredient list No 1. Mix 2 berocca eff wif 100ml of Liverton tonic, 1 tds prior breakfast of nanna and bacon roti. No 2. To cure any headache from last nights binge, down ones grandpa wif a gloog of coke after da morning cuppa joe, no nanna needed. Don't adjust your wedgie 4 your morning jitters might be too pleasing for urself and your fellow riding partner, Doc H. And lastly, stay clear of all that S0 Chamberlain's colic remedy. It are for babies wif colic and casual buzzers like Fanie, Neels hey boet, how'z IT hanging, (excuse the pun) Henny and me! I lost 6KG, how bout u Henny? As a bullie lover, Henny, The following command is viable. Sa! Fight hom swaar! Ek bedoel, tiny. WAJ! Ps, old school Gummyberry juice is available in legal form. P&P is extra.

Phentermine is not an amphetamine. Ephedrine, for example, is though, so yes eddy you're right on that one. Duromine has no performance benefit, there are much more effective fat burners out there that do give you a performance edge. Bottom line, in my opinion the guy did not deserve a 2 year ban for what he used, it was a ridiculous and heavy-handed decision.

Define "performance benefit". There's a reason tests are taken out of comp too.

I think the principal is that just because you are a fun rider it does not exempt you from the rules

Which rules she cries...

All the rules he says

Just like a short cut

There is a possible loop hole wrt to TUE's

However dont take my word for it

When you sign that entry form agreeing to obey the rules.....maybe try refuse to sign in future?

post-182-0-24525300-1405688381_thumb.png

I agree. What is good for one is good for all (at least ss far ss the rules are concerned).

PERHAPS the bigger picture is again that 'social events/ryders' should not be UCI/CSA accredited.

PERHAPS these events/ryders should not be deemed as 'international' by UCI standards. I'm sure enen though the 'letter of the law' may apply, I don't think that the 'spirit of the law' does...

I know I'm (re)opening a can of worms here, but thats just my 2c

I agree. What is good for one is good for all (at least ss far ss the rules are concerned).

PERHAPS the bigger picture is again that 'social events/ryders' should not be UCI/CSA accredited.

PERHAPS these events/ryders should not be deemed as 'international' by UCI standards. I'm sure enen though the 'letter of the law' may apply, I don't think that the 'spirit of the law' does...

I know I'm (re)opening a can of worms here, but thats just my 2c

I agree that SA needs a clearer distinction on social vs. racing events and participants.

In SA every ride has a timing chip and becomes a race. That line has been blurred by organizers who want 101 billion people at the 94.7 MTB challenge.

Race: race for position, in your category (elite, vet, cat2, etc.) Rolling road closure. Marshals. Prize money. Also: rules and drug tests.

If you want the marshals -- and the prize money -- you get the drug tests.

Some events include social events (10km or so) without prize money. I don't expect those participants to go to their doctor and pharmacist to ask clarification on the WADA list.

If you do the same distance and route on the same day as the elites, you get the same rules. And the drug tests.

Now somewhere in-between there's a blur. That blur needs to become a proper line. And when you decide to move from social events to race numbers there needs to be clarification. It mustn't come as a surprise. There should be no "I didn't know."

Perhaps the correct solution is education. When you obtain your CSA license, you get a pamphlet with a quick introduction. Something like:

- sneezing -> allergy meds -> speak to pharmacist about WADA (with pictures)

Don't bury it in tiny writing 175 pages deep in a rulebook.

Or something like that on Supersport.

Or your cycling club can tell you in the beginning of the year when you get your license.

i haven't read all the posts - but for the ill informed - csa don't test the riders, saids do and they are asked and paid by the organisers of the event to test. they normally just test the podium winners and mr anderson will be able to ride his argus next year because it is not sanctioned and you don't need a csa license.

How exactly does CSA fit into the picture re. doping and testing?

I understand that SAIDS do the actual tests, but do CSA give any input in how it is done, who gets tested, when, how often, or do they just announce the result, and deal with the fall-out afterwards?

Do the race organizers give any input, seeing as they pay for it (with our entry fees)?

Interesting point re. the Argus. Would like to see what the PPA does about it.

Guest DieBees

Just a question... Is there not people who is pimping fellow riders to these guys that initiates some of the "amateur" testing?

I can imagine that a rider has some competition and then he strips and go to the "authorities" and says the guy is doping. This could lead them on a witch hunt and waste a lot of money or find them guilty?

Edit: grammar

Edited by DieBees