Which mtb pedals to buy

CJVDM

Im on my second pair of xt pedals now, i replaced the first pair beginning of the yr. The second pair is also failing now (weird creaking noises). Other than shimanos, which other pedals would you epic pros/single speed dudes and weekend warriors recommend?

Im looking at Look/time pedals but nit sure whether the higher price will result in better quality.... Need to decide tmwr though :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with S-tracks!! Or you could consider crank bro's eggbeaters or candys, depends how much play and float you like on your pedals..

Ive used crank brothers for a while. 1st set used a combo of bearings and a bush. The bushing side is not well sealed. Im now using candy with roller bearings. Fantastic pedal and never had mud issues preventing me to clip in or out. Check http://bicicletta.myshopify.com

Failing shimano pedals? Not just gatjeuk?

The only ones I have heard of that failed are the newer XTR ones.

I have 2 sets of Shimano's. A 540 and a older set XTR's. And it looks if they will last forever.

Ive used crank brothers for a while. 1st set used a combo of bearings and a bush. The bushing side is not well sealed. Im now using candy with roller bearings. Fantastic pedal and never had mud issues preventing me to clip in or out. Check http://bicicletta.myshopify.com

Shimano 520 or 540. Bullet proof and reliable.

Yup, those are cheaper than anything else, they work and they last, even thougt they are not very glamorous. I can't think why your XT pedals packed up, mine last forever. The previous pair outlasted my bike. My current pair look like they might outlast me ;-)

Shimano 520 or 540. Bullet proof and reliable.

Yip, those are indestructible...don't need servicing or mollycoddling, they just work and work and work

When I was using them, I have not had a Shimano pedal fail on me. Just some Q20 now and then to get them releasing better again.

Have switched to Look STracks and love them!

During the Dusi2C we had to port our bikes a few time through the rivers, needless to say that mud got everywhere after that. I had tremendous trouble clipping in and unclipping afterwards which accompanied by lack of talent cause numerous falls. I too am looking at new pedal that will be able to handly the mud situation, so from what i gather here you guys say S-Tracks and Eggbeaters are they way to go for this problem?