Another bike jacking

Meezo

Any one have statistics as to how many bikes are getting stolen in the greater Capetown area per week now?

Must be reaching quite epic proportions, the thing that I want to know is where are they are going, bikes especially expensive ones aren't household goods like Tv's/fridges etc that everybody needs, the market for 2hnd bikes of dodgy origins can't be that big?

I'm trying to get my boet involved so I'm looking for a 2nd hand mtb for him in the classifieds but it makes me a bit nervous as I'm sure is also the case for the legit sellers. Female friend was conveniently relieved of her cash at gunpoint that she'd collected 5 minutes after selling her bike at a busy public place on a Sunday afternoon. Makes me want to go into murder mode.

Edited by FlandersZA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to get my boet involved so I'm looking for a 2nd hand mtb for him in the classifieds but it makes me a bit nervous as I'm sure is also the case for the legit sellers. Female friend was conveniently relieved of her cash at gunpoint that she'd collected 5 minutes after selling her bike at a busy public place on a Sunday afternoon. Makes me want to go into murder mode.

Buying from a longstanding hub member, I suppose preferably with many posts, should be fine.

That definitely is a good motivation for Matt to make a minimum post count of say 100 posts obligatory before being able to sell in the classifieds. Posting reveals a bit of the users character and you at least have something that you can use to judge whether the person is genuine or not. Also there'll be more info avail like ip addresses etc if the guy goes rogue and needs to be tracked down.

This might be an option. If you can hide it inside the frame then you can track it down afterwards. Seems very affordable as well.

http://www.thetileapp.com/

Looks like a community would need to be built up first for this to be effective.

Agree.the range is useless unless another user is within 150ft of ur bike. Am looking into some options regarding internal tracking viability. Hope to find an answer

City of Cape Town need to invest in more cameras at strategic spots so that they can trace the car when the crime is reported, with a reporting hotline into the centre where the cameras are monitored. This is the only way to get to the bottom of this.

City of Cape Town need to invest in more cameras at strategic spots so that they can trace the car when the crime is reported, with a reporting hotline into the centre where the cameras are monitored. This is the only way to get to the bottom of this.

First they need staff that can monitor these cameras 24/7

I am very sorry to hear about this again. Last month I was a victim of a bike jacking on the kuilriver road, but they nearly left me for dead. I pray you get your bike back. I too am still hoping for mine. The city of cape town need to wake up and they need to put police in cycling kit around the hot spots in the hope of drawing these guys in. Its getting out of hand :( Ill probably never be able to cycle again. Punks

Buying from a longstanding hub member, I suppose preferably with many posts, should be fine.

That definitely is a good motivation for Matt to make a minimum post count of say 100 posts obligatory before being able to sell in the classifieds. Posting reveals a bit of the users character and you at least have something that you can use to judge whether the person is genuine or not. Also there'll be more info avail like ip addresses etc if the guy goes rogue and needs to be tracked down.

if this restriction was in place I'd never have my s-works now. I'm against the post count idea, but i think the concept can still be incorporated through different means.

I wonder anyone send a mes to city of cape town..?

I think they definitely don't know about this situations