Tubeless Conversion

osiris

do not use Joes its complete crap, the rim strip will allow it to seal but the sealant is ***.

use stans or nothing.

the tires will work but as you have already seen they will weep selant untill the micro holes are sealed. they do have very thin and soft sidewalls though so apart from sidewall punctures you will feel the tires flex significantly when cornering, a tube adds stiffness and negates this but low pressure on a non tubeless ready tire and even some tubeless ready ones at low pressure will cause flex and make your ride very nervous.

Beg to differ I do. Joe's sealant in 3 bikes, one running non Tubeless racing ralphs, never had one single puncture or leak that didn't seal. It works absolutely brilliantly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travis.

Maxxis Crossmark back, Maxxis Ardent front.

Easy installation and great combination. Will also last and last.

Edit: Get the LUST versions of both.

Edited by Travis.

There are no spoke holes in the rim.

There is a blue what I'm assuming is tape on the inside of the rim

You need to remove the blue rim tape and tape the rim up using stans yellow rim tape or something suitable. I use gorilla tape it works great.

Maxxis Crossmark back, Maxxis Ardent front.

Easy installation and great combination. Will also last and last.

Edit: Get the LUST versions of both.

Good combination F & R but very heavy tyres. I would go either Ikon, Racing Ralph Snakeskin or Fast Track Controls

Edited by ians

Guest Travis.

Good combination F & R but very heavy tyres. I would go either Ikon, Racing Ralph Snakeskin or Fast Track Controls

True, they are a but heavy, but man do they last....

Guest Travis.

You need to remove the blue rim tape and tape the rim up using stans yellow rim tape or something suitable. I use gorilla tape it works great.

+1 on gorilla. Works very well!

I'm in the same boat at the moment..Schwable Rapid Rob tires that came with the bike.. I'm not having any problems with flats but I'd love to ride a lower tire pressure..Especially in the front wheel..I have Giant S-XC2 27.5 Rims..Should I do a Stans conversion or save up the cash and buy Tubeless tires..

I'm in the same boat at the moment..Schwable Rapid Rob tires that came with the bike.. I'm not having any problems with flats but I'd love to ride a lower tire pressure..Especially in the front wheel..I have Giant S-XC2 27.5 Rims..Should I do a Stans conversion or save up the cash and buy Tubeless tires..

Convert them. Worst is that they don't hold. I bought the 26" Racing Ralphs and used the Joe's kit but there are tons of ways, I can run between 25 - 30 PSI. Tyres took a while to seal as the sidewall's are a bit porous, but they hold up fine. If they leak, stick a tube back in. Not much to lose.

Beg to differ I do. Joe's sealant in 3 bikes, one running non Tubeless racing ralphs, never had one single puncture or leak that didn't seal. It works absolutely brilliantly.

Same here. I have been using joes in 2 bikes for 2 years with multiple different types of tyres and it has performed perfectly. Also you don't get the nasty stans snot balls in the tyre.

Well then I should be looking at getting a decent set of tyres,

What tyres do you recommend?

All my riding will be on dirt road, service roads and fire roads and on weekends I'll do some trails.

Very little to no tar riding.

Should i be looking at UST or Tubeless ready?

Continental Protections or Maxxis Crossmark LUST

Convert them. Worst is that they don't hold. I bought the 26" Racing Ralphs and used the Joe's kit but there are tons of ways, I can run between 25 - 30 PSI. Tyres took a while to seal as the sidewall's are a bit porous, but they hold up fine. If they leak, stick a tube back in. Not much to lose.

Same here. I have been using joes in 2 bikes for 2 years with multiple different types of tyres and it has performed perfectly. Also you don't get the nasty stans snot balls in the tyre.

Have been using Joes exclusivly for seven years and not one misshap...just add a tablespoon mielie pap to your sealant in the tire (no jokes) and you're ready to gooi mielies captain.

This helps with the leaky sidwall problem too.

Mavic 819 rims, Conti race King (front) and Conti mountain King (rear) tyres and Slimepro sealant. That's what works for me. Never get punctures, tyres have fantastic grip, wear well off road, I don't ride tar but I hear they wear quicker if you do. Slimepro is easy to clean off the rim and tyre when you replace sealant which I do when I replace the tyres or every 6 months. I only carry a spare tube and a hand pump I am so confident with my set up.

I have used the conversion option and various tyres, I have walked many K's back to the car after discovering the bomb adaptor pin to puncture the bomb has fallen out and never bothered to take a pump. Looked on in dismay after finding my sealant has turned to snot balls in my tyres. And I have seen my arse because the plastic tyres like Maxxis have no grip on negative camber gravel bends.

Conti race King (front) and Conti mountain King (rear) tyres

Unusual combination as most but the grippier tyre i.e. the mountain king on the front and the faster rolling tyre on the rear.

Thanks for all the help,

Installed the Joe's kit last night which was really easy and inflated the wheel.

I got up a bit late this morning so i couldn't check the pressure of the wheels but they seemed to be holding up fine.

Doing the tubeless conversion is a really simple thing to do and recommend the DIY approach.